(Yet Another) What and Where to Buy

caderoux

My system was fairly automated. The PQs arrived in GSAK automatically and export to a GPX which was converted to Mapopolis and loaded on SD. On hunts, the latest GPX and Mapopolis data were always available, so I would just head out the door. I used just the Pocket PC and a BlueTooth GPS with Mapopolis + GPXSonar to read the cache listings.

However, after my Pocket PC died one night, and having to make do with my wife's ForeRunner (no manual coordinate entry) on a couple of caches, I'm thinking I need a spare full-featured GPS.

My replacement Pocket PC arrives on Monday, so I can get my old system working again, but I don't want to have to go days or weeks without a "real" caching alternative.

The spares I'm looking at are either the Garmin 60Cx or the Magellan eXplorist XL. Basically, these would be loaded the same way from GSAK's exports in as automatic a way as possible. Then these could be used instead of the PDA at any time - say if I was kayaking and preferred not to mess around with the otter box etc. Using one of these without the PDA, I know I will sacrifice the cache listings. (I know this is a stupid question, but with a GPS that powerful, it wouldn't take much to display a little XML...)

I have never owned a regular GPS (unless you count the Garmin ForeRunner) - my interface to the GPS has always been through the Pocket PC - either CoPilot or Mapopolis.

Both units are just over $300. Obviously the SD card is the main feature I need for easy data load.

I know that both would also require the separate purchase of maps in order to do routing like I have with Mapopolis.

Anyone who has used both extensively or have pointers to good comparisons?

As far as pricing - Amazon.com seems lower than any other store with the Cx for 354.99 and the XL for 318.39 (this is before the PI/2 discount and obviously, shipping is almost always free there). All the bargain GPS sites I have looked at are significantly more expensive. Anybody have a store they absolutely love that has pricing that good?

And if you take Garmin's rebate into account (good until the end of the year), the final cost of the 60Cx from Amazon would be $304.99 plus maps. If autorouting is important to you, I would recommend going with the 60Cx. Check out this topic comparing Garmin and Magellan's autorouting implementations.

I had to look up what you meant by PI/2 discount.

Edited by geognerd

And if you take Garmin's rebate into account (good until the end of the year), the final cost of the 60Cx from Amazon would be $304.99 plus maps. If autorouting is important to you, I would recommend going with the 60Cx. Check out this topic comparing Garmin and Magellan's autorouting implementations.

I had to look up what you meant by PI/2 discount.

Yes, I knew about the rebate. I'll check out the thread. I use routing all the time in Mapopolis.

I have never owned a regular GPS (unless you count the Garmin ForeRunner) - my interface to the GPS has always been through the Pocket PC - either CoPilot or Mapopolis.

Both units are just over $300. Obviously the SD card is the main feature I need for easy data load.

I know that both would also require the separate purchase of maps in order to do routing like I have with Mapopolis.

Anyone who has used both extensively or have pointers to good comparisons?

As far as pricing - Amazon.com seems lower than any other store with the Cx for 354.99 and the XL for 318.39 (this is before the PI/2 discount and obviously, shipping is almost always free there). All the bargain GPS sites I have looked at are significantly more expensive. Anybody have a store they absolutely love that has pricing that good?

If it's just a backup unit, why not shop on EBay for a used Magellan Meridian? I just picked up a Meridian Yellow for $55. SD card support, quad helix antenna, nice big screen, etc. for 1/6th what you are planning to spend. Just tossing it out there for ya.

If it's just a backup unit, why not shop on EBay for a used Magellan Meridian? I just picked up a Meridian Yellow for $55. SD card support, quad helix antenna, nice big screen, etc. for 1/6th what you are planning to spend. Just tossing it out there for ya.

I am worried about all the various software defects with the older units - and as they get older, updates are less and less likely. In fact, I'm really hoping to get a look at the new DeLorme before buying anything - it really sounds like they could be giving Garmin and Magellan a run for their money.