Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx and Compass

The5Xplorers

Hi,

We have had our Garmin GSMAP 60CSx for a few months and have been having problems with the compass. We have had the compass lock, as in no matter which way you turn the unit, the compass stays fixed in relation to the unit. Other times, the compass is totally inaccurate when compared to a regular compass.

According to the manual, "When you first use the GPSMAP 60CSx or after you install new batteries, you have to calibrate the electronic compass outdoors. The accuracy of the electronic compass is adversely affected if the unit is not held level or you are near objects that generate magnetic fields, such as cars or buildings." We are constantly recalibrating the compass (many times during the batteries' life). We calibrate the compass when we are away from any metal and hold it level while calibrating and using it.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and if so have you resolved it?

Silly question, but ...you've turned it on? Easiest way is by holding down the Page key until you see the compass icon. Hold it down again and the compass will toggle off. Keep it off to save power when you're not using it.

The compass will always work from the GPS without the magnetic compass on or off above a certain speed. This is set in one of the setup menus. So it may look like it's working until you drop below that speed, at which point it reverts to the magnetic based compass instead, but only if the magnetic compass is turned on.

Hi,

We have had our Garmin GSMAP 60CSx for a few months and have been having problems with the compass. We have had the compass lock, as in no matter which way you turn the unit, the compass stays fixed in relation to the unit. Other times, the compass is totally inaccurate when compared to a regular compass.

This is exactly what will happen if you don't have the electronic compass turned on. When it's on, you should see the compass icon in the status bar up top. The short-cut to toggle the compass on/off is to hold down the Page key. You may be accidently doing this, and turning the compass off without knowing it.

When the compass is turned off, you will still see the arrow (assuming you have a GOTO or Route set), but it's using an inductive method to determine which way to point, and you have to be moving for that to work properly. If you're standing still, it won't be reliable.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I cache with a map 60cs I have my compass turned on and from time to time it does funny things locks up or points incorrect direction, seems like it does this after being on the dash of my car. I dont know if there is some magnetic field generated by the car in the area where the GPS sits. When this happens I quickly recalbrate the compass when I start out on foot looking for the cache. I'm courious has anyone else had this problem???

I cache with a map 60cs I have my compass turned on and from time to time it does funny things locks up or points incorrect direction, seems like it does this after being on the dash of my car. I dont know if there is some magnetic field generated by the car in the area where the GPS sits. When this happens I quickly recalbrate the compass when I start out on foot looking for the cache. I'm courious has anyone else had this problem???

Yes. I'm emailing Garmin about this right now. I have an Etrex Vista CX with some accuracy issues mentioned in a current thread so we also got a 60CSX to play with. The 60CSX is great...except I have to recalibrate the compass every so often. I haven't had to do that once in 2 months with the Vista CX. I've noticed it a lot after carrying the GPS in my pocket for a way. Get it back out and the compass is wacky.

To answer some of the questions that were raised from my original posting. In regards to if we have the compass turned on the answer is yes, we have the compass turned on. That was one of the first things I checked as it never hurts to do the "Is it plugged in?" check.

Lately, we have been carefully monitoring the unit and the compass icon is on when it is acting weird. When we press the page button it beeps and gives us the "Compass Turned Off" message, which also tells us that it is on. Since it beeps at us and displays a message, we don't think we are accidentally pressing the page button. I did bend the battery terminals out a little more this past weekend to see if that has any effect. Our compass is set up from the Main Menu -> Setup -> Heading page as "Switch to compass heading when below 10mph for more than 90 sec."

NetJunkie, if you hear back from Garmin let us know what they say. It's interesting to hear that we are not the only ones with this problem. I was going to email Garmin, but I figured I would post here first (after searching Garmin's web site) to see if there is a simple fix or if this is user error.

It took several days but I heard back today. No real help. They said holding it vertically for a while, such as in my pocket, can throw the compass off. But no answer as to why my Etrex Vista CX doesn't do it. They recommend I update the firmware even though I gave them the versions I have which are the latest.

Same problem here. It is definitely enabled, but it is not accurate. When I am moving, it points in a direction. When I then stop, it points at least 10 degrees in a different direction. When I then turn around 180 degrees, it points 10 degrees in the other direction. The strange thing, there is nothing in the area that should interfere ....

Btw, the 10 degrees is optimal. In some cases it is 30-40.

I calibrated several times, but it does not really help.

I have noticed that after having it on the dash board of my car in between caches, I will need to recalibrate it when i get out. Having a lot of electrical equiptment around will throw it out of wack too

I assume you realize that, unless you've changed the defaults, it will take a full 90 seconds for the compass to turn itself back on after the car stop.

I too have had this compass problem with my new 60csx. It happened while I was looking for my cache and the compass froze up. I get the hold level warning. But I am holding it level. I found out that pulling out the batteries ( turning it off and on seemed to not help) and reinstalling fixed it for a while. I also noticed that calibrating the compas fixed it temporarily. But this is annoying. I wonder what is up?

I have only had the intermittent power loss problem once. Opening the battery compartment and resetting the batteries solved the problem for me. If you are getting a beep and a power-loss message, then it is pretty obvious that you have some sort of power issue that Garmin will certainly repair under warranty if you know for sure that the batteries are good. (Actually they will probably replace your unit; so it goes very fast).

I had other problems with various glitches, but since loading the latest firmware, the problems seem to have diminished substantially. But the locking up of arrow on the compass ring happened to me once about 2 weeks ago (with the latest firmware). It has not happened since and was rectified by turning the unit off and back on (it was towards the late afternoon and the batteries were running low; so I cannot rule out a power issue as having been the cause).

Poor quality batteries can also be problematic. If you are going to run some test, use some batteries that you know to be in good shape and fully charged. Use only matched batteries (same type; same age and brand). Also make sure that you have the battery-type setting (Set-up, System) set correctly.

Two years ago I bought my 60cs. I mounted a cradle on the dash and have been using in that position for the last two years. After I loaded the latest firmware, I started having compass problems. My problem is when headed for what ever waypoint I have selected, the compass and moving map page usually have the opposite direction on top, it is just reversed. If I take the compass out of the cradle and lay it flat, all is OK. Like I said earlier, it has worked flawlessly in the cradle for two years.

The first thing I am going to do is backlevel my firmware and go from there.

I too have noticed compass issues after taking the gps out of the cradle. I've been trying to do sight n go's, but the compass locks, and it won't rotate to the proper direction. The only thing I've found that will fix the problem is to do a recalibration. A real PITA if you ask me. Yes, the compass is on, and the vehicle is stopped for minutes at a time, so I know it's not the setting for that, even though I have it set to use the magnetic compass when under 5 mph for more than 5 seconds.

It took several days but I heard back today. No real help. They said holding it vertically for a while, such as in my pocket, can throw the compass off. But no answer as to why my Etrex Vista CX doesn't do it. They recommend I update the firmware even though I gave them the versions I have which are the latest.

I don't get it. You are supposed to hold the unit vertically for the gps, and then flat for the compass. So if holding it vertically can hose the compass, isn't that an issue that should be fixed? I hold the unit vertically 95% of the time, but when I need the compass I want the dang thing to work. This is annoying as heck, and I'm seriously considering a lowrance due to this issue.

I emailed garmin as well. I think if we all voice our displeasure on this, perhaps we can get a fix.

This may not be what you want to hear but I am now on my third 60 CSx with the first two developing several odd faults, including compass issues.

Unlike the posts above, my compass was not freezing but in the last round it would go out of calibration every 5 to 15 minutes with constant "hold level' messages. This was so even if it was left sitting outside in a field or with an external power supply. With the first unit, the compass would suddenly point in random directions, sometimes 180 degrees off, somewhat as described earlier. Having been a more-than-satisfied Garmin customer for many years, these issues are quite surprising.

Of course I know you need to hold the unit level for the compass to work. That's not the issue. The issue is that after the unit is held vertically for a period of time, the compass then won't work when holding it level. I'm not trying to hold the thing vertically and use the compass. I'm pulling it out of the cradle, holding it level, and the compass is locked up and won't work right.

Of course I know you need to hold the unit level for the compass to work. That's not the issue. The issue is that after the unit is held vertically for a period of time, the compass then won't work when holding it level. I'm not trying to hold the thing vertically and use the compass. I'm pulling it out of the cradle, holding it level, and the compass is locked up and won't work right.

Are you aware of the fact that (unless you've changed the defaults) after the car stops, it takes a full 90 seconds for the electronic compass to automatically turn back on?

Are you aware of the fact that (unless you've changed the defaults) after the car stops, it takes a full 90 seconds for the electronic compass to automatically turn back on?

Yes I'm aware of that. See my reply above where I say "Yes, the compass is on, and the vehicle is stopped for minutes at a time, so I know it's not the setting for that, even though I have it set to use the magnetic compass when under 5 mph for more than 5 seconds.

You need to hold the compass level for it to work!!! Have you ever used a normal compass vertically???

Oh yea, then why did it work when in my dash cradle FOR THE LAST TWO YEARS?

Because when you use it in your car, the electronic compass switches off when you start moving (unless you've mucked around with the defaults). Instead, it determines your orientation based on your direction of travel. That's why, when you put the car in reverse and back up, the arrow reverses direction, even though you're still facing the same direction.

I've got electronic compasses in both my Vista, and my 60CSx. They both work very well. My experience has been that, while there will always be a few units with problems (as is true for any mass produced item), the vast majority of difficulties are caused by user error - setting something wrong, not understanding how it works, etc. A perfect example of that is a few messages up, where someone doesn't understand that the electronic compass shuts off when used in a moving car. If you choose not to learn how to use it, then you are probably better off with a compass on a whistle.

Edited by Prime Suspect

You need to hold the compass level for it to work!!! Have you ever used a normal compass vertically???

Because when you use it in your car, the electronic compass switches off when you start moving (unless you've mucked around with the defaults). Instead, it determines your orientation based on your direction of travel. That's why, when you put the car in reverse and back up, the arrow reverses direction, even though you're still facing the same direction.

That is how it worked up till a couple of weeks ago. I may have changed one of the default parms but for the life of me I don't remember which one. And yes, I noticed when I back up it does reverse direction. I will continue checking compass parameters and see if I can find what I changed. If anybody has any suggestions, please, jump in here now. Thanks

Edited by wornout

That is how it worked up till a couple of weeks ago. I may have changed one of the default parms but for the life of me I don't remember which one. And yes, I noticed when I back up it does reverse direction. I will continue checking compass parameters and see if I can find what I changed. If anybody has any suggestions, please, jump in here now. Thanks

To put it back to the factory default, hit Menu twice, select Setup, select Heading. Set the speed to 10 mph, and the time to 90 seconds.

Remember that the GPS will only temporarily turn OFF the electronic compass when you reach a certain speed, then restore it to its previous status. If you didn't have the compass turned on prior to exceeding the speed trigger, the unit won't turn it on after you've dropped below that speed trigger.

To put it back to the factory default, hit Menu twice, select Setup, select Heading. Set the speed to 10 mph, and the time to 90 seconds.

Remember that the GPS will only temporarily turn OFF the electronic compass when you reach a certain speed, then restore it to its previous status. If you didn't have the compass turned on prior to exceeding the speed trigger, the unit won't turn it on after you've dropped below that speed trigger.

OK, thanks, I will try that and see what happens.

I find I need to recalibrate my compass multiple times during batter life (and don't have the contacts problem).

I especially do this when I get out of the car or about to go on trail. takes 15 seconds - of course would be better if this weren't necessary as often but not the end of the world to do esp. if I want to get back to where I came from. I carry a regular compass just in case and so far so good.

I have major compass issues with my Garmin 60csx & have posted on this forum before, but can't find the thread.

My compass just disappears completely when I'm within a few feet of a cache & sometimes I can recalibrate & get it back & more often,not.

I have just recently bought the unit (July) & have had to exchange it twice, so I'm on my third unit & still having the compass issues. I don't have a clue how to correct this & obviously, Garmin doesn't either.

Can any of you help me?

Thanks.

I just posted this comment on the forums at thegba.net.

I'm honestly rather frustrated with <the 60csx>.

It's ability to get "lock" is incredible. Today I got a 7 satellite lock with 14 foot accuracy *inside* a high school gymnasium. Our team still lost. Smile

I like its ability to keep a calendar of my cache finds, so I can recall them easily when I'm back home.

I like the big color screen.

Since I used Garmin before, the menus and such seem pretty reasonable and natural to me.

But....

I'm frustrated that it can't remember more information about each cache, so I could go paperless without hauling both a GPS and a Palm around with me. But I knew about that limitation before I bought it, and I can live with it.

I'm disappointed with the cheezy POI Loader - but I knew about that too, and I can live with it.

But mostly ... I *absolutely* *hate* the compass.

To find caches, I've basically had to completely ignore the "arrow", and walk around trying to reduce the displayed distance to the cache.

I've had the arrow point as much as 45 degrees away from the proper direction - for long periods.

I've done the twirl-around-twice calibration thing maybe a dozen times. Sometimes I think it helps for a while. Sometimes I'm not sure.

I talked very briefly with Motorbug the other nite, who suggested that you have to recalibrate every time you change the batteries. After playing more, I think you have to recalibrate every time you turn the thing ON, or maybe every time you plug it into a computer, or something???

Is everyone having the same experience?

Marky quickly pointed me to how to turn the compass off - hold down the PAGE key for a while. I'll try that tomorrow and see if it helps. But the compass seems like a real source of concern on this unit. Any other suggestions for what I should try?

Thanks, ...Sam

As long as i recalibrate the compass every time i change the batteries i have no problem with it and it takes me to the correct location without issue. I was having some issues with it telling me to hold level constantly even after a recalibrate so i master reset the unit and ever since then it has been fine.

I have major compass issues with my Garmin 60csx & have posted on this forum before, but can't find the thread.

My compass just disappears completely when I'm within a few feet of a cache & sometimes I can recalibrate & get it back & more often,not.

I have just recently bought the unit (July) & have had to exchange it twice, so I'm on my third unit & still having the compass issues. I don't have a clue how to correct this & obviously, Garmin doesn't either.

Can any of you help me?

Thanks.

Did you change your Leg Transition setting to something other than Auto?

I did a MASTER RESET and all was well yesterday when my 60cs was mounted in the cradle on the dash. My track was up, the 'N' arrow pointed to North as it should have. I can now use it again like I did the last two years. Master Reset did the trick.

I did a MASTER RESET and all was well yesterday when my 60cs was mounted in the cradle on the dash. My track was up, the 'N' arrow pointed to North as it should have. I can now use it again like I did the last two years. Master Reset did the trick.

How do you do a Master Reset? After all this time, I'm still having as much trouble with the compass as ever. The needle NEVER points in the right direction & still disappears on me. I did the foam thing behind the battery connection - didn't help.

How do you do a Master Reset? After all this time, I'm still having as much trouble with the compass as ever. The needle NEVER points in the right direction & still disappears on me. I did the foam thing behind the battery connection - didn't help.

You're not adding the cache waypoint to a route, are you?

This is a copy of the e-mail Garmin sent me today.

Thank you for contacting Garmin International! I would be more than happy

to help you with this today.

Seems to that when you are navigating to a waypoint that the unit is

actually trying to use two different data inputs for the same information.

With the compass on the unit wants to use the compass when traveling less

than 2.5 miles per hour. But above that speed the unit then switches to

satellite compass information. This is known by our engineers who are

working on a fix. Thanks for your input and thanks for letting me know what

you found out!

you found out!

I am also having problems with my compass and because I just got it I thought it was just me, but I have experienced the wrong direction pointing when trying to zero in on a cache. It is so bad that I abandoned the compas and just watch the location and walk towards the cach using the numbers. I expect more from this unit. :blink::rolleyes:

you found out!

I am also having problems with my compass and because I just got it I thought it was just me, but I have experienced the wrong direction pointing when trying to zero in on a cache. It is so bad that I abandoned the compas and just watch the location and walk towards the cach using the numbers. I expect more from this unit. :blink::rolleyes:

"I have experienced the wrong direction pointing when trying to zero in on a cache."

Once you've entered the GPS's "zone of error" for a cache, any compass, including a standard magnetic compass, will exhibit this behavior. There's nothing wrong with the equipment. It means it's time to stop looking at the arrow, and start looking for the cache.

I am working on a very similar problem with Garmin My compass arrow has COMPLETELY DISAPPEARED. while Garmin has been great at communicating and providing "possible solutions" none of them have worked. They gave me 2 different directions to do a Master Reset and the unit wont reset. At all. It just turns on.

The compass was doing all of the hokey things that you guys have been describing, but the simple fix of recalibrating worked fine for a bit. Then you have to do it again- I dont mind that -its an electronic compass it needs resetting.

How do you guys do your master reset?