Ammo Cans

RocketMan

I have always been a fan of ammo cans for regular caches. Lately, it seems like they are getting somewhat harder to find and more expensive, particularly the 30 cal type. The military only uses a limited amount of ammo, so it would seem that the with the big demand for ammo cans that geocaching has sparked, the supply would eventually run short. Am I just being paranoid?

BTW: Please don't make this a debate about what the best cache container is.

I don't think geocaching is affecting the ammo can supply that much. Hunters & outdoorsmen have long known about them, and have been purchasing them for storage of their gear. I've seen the supply ebb & flow several times, I wonder of the timing of government sales/cycling out of gear has anything to do with it.

you're paranoid. They can make more if we need them. Just look around at a gun show.

The ones that I am thinking of are previously used by the military and then sold in large lots to army surplus vendors so I don't see how "making more if we need them" applies. Can you even buy brand new ammo cans? RM

....The military only uses a limited amount of ammo, so it would seem that the with the big demand for ammo cans that geocaching has sparked, the supply would eventually run short. Am I just being paranoid?

<_< As a veteran, I'd have to say that your information is somewhat flawed. The US military is constantly training, 24/7 365. From my experience, the military's supply of ammo is phenominal, to the point of being virtually unlimited. I would say they have an ammo can for every man woman and child that has ever even heard of geocaching. And then some. I'm very confident our supply is safe. :blink:

I did just purchase some NEW ones at a local surplus store a couple weeks ago. FYI

Edited by 57chevy

....The military only uses a limited amount of ammo, so it would seem that the with the big demand for ammo cans that geocaching has sparked, the supply would eventually run short. Am I just being paranoid?

<_< As a veteran, I'd have to say that your information is somewhat flawed. The US military is constantly training, 24/7 365. From my experience, the military's supply of ammo is phenominal, to the point of being virtually unlimited. I would say they have an ammo can for every man woman and child that has ever even heard of geocaching. And then some. I'm very confident our supply is safe. :blink:

That's good to hear. Do you have any idea what they pay for the cans? Just curious.

you're paranoid. They can make more if we need them. Just look around at a gun show.

The ones that I am thinking of are previously used by the military and then sold in large lots to army surplus vendors so I don't see how "making more if we need them" applies. Can you even buy brand new ammo cans? RM

Yes, you can buy new ammo cans. The military typically doesn't build its own manufacturing facilities. They contract a civilian company to make what they need. The same compainies that make ammo cans for the military also sell them new to stores. As you can guess the new ones are more expensive.

You don't have to worry about the supply of military surplus ammo can either. The military still uses lots ammo cans.

I have heard that we were running out, but the other day I checked out my local Army Surplus store and there had to be at least 1000 on the shelves so I don't think I will get to worried at this time.

I hit that store yesterday for some decons. I almost bought one of those large medical boxes but didn't have room in the van for it.

We're fortunate to have such a well stocked surplus outlet so close by. Four rows of shelves, 50 feet deep, stacked up high, full of cans of various sizes and shapes.

Edited by BadAndy

No worries. Like the person above said, go to a gun show. I also shoot and I probably have 30 ammo cans. Lots of places use them to hold ammo that they sell. Plus, you can go to a show and people sell empty surplus ammo cans for cheap.

I suppose living next door to an active military base complex (Elmendorf AFB/Ft Richardson, Anchorage AK) has its benefits beyond the fine folks who live & work there... our local surplus outfit was selling 30cal cans for $2, 50cal cans for $3, and decons for $ .50 each last week. I bought 40 decons & gave away ten at our last event as door prizes. I buy 50cal 'cans for storage purposes as well as geocaching - my garage looks like an ammo resupply point (and many 'cans do, in fact, contain ammo).

be glad if you have a surplus store nearby.

we have none around, and I made a 100 mile trip to a town that used to have one to find out it was also out of business. (did get some good caching in while I was there at least. )

I just found them at fleet farm for 4 bucks each, and I was soo happy. :o still am. I bought a bunch.

If I ever saw them for a buck each, or *gasp* 50 cents... I'd buy all I could carry.