Mystery Line

canpaddle

:D Recently Ive noticed a straight line when in the track feature and Ive tried everything to get rid of it and it wont go away. The line starts wherever I am at and its like a GOTO line that just stops somewhere in Kansas.( I panned on the line to see where it went.)

Can anyone tell me why this line is there and help me make it go away? Im not really a newbie Its just that I havent posted in awhile.

My GPSR is a Garmin Etrex Legend. :D

canpaddle

Sounds like you might have the compass set up to show course instead of bearing.

Course will show a line from where you are past where you are heading. If you are on the compass page the compass will always point parallel to the course line with a break in it showing how far and what direction you are off the course line. By contrast the bearing compass will always point at your waypoint.

Sounds like you might have the compass set up to show course instead of bearing.

Course will show a line from where you are past where you are heading. If you are on the compass page the compass will always point parallel to the course line with a break in it showing how far and what direction you are off the course line. By contrast the bearing compass will always point at your waypoint.

<_< Well thanks for the reply. My GPS still has the line. The line ends somewhere in Kansas. I live in MN. The line only appears when Im tracking where Im going mode. It starts from where ever Im at at all times. I cant get it to go away. Ive switched modes from bearing, to course, and that doesnt work. Ive even deleated all tracks and route logs and that hasnt worked either. Ive deleited all there is and switched map sets(WIS. to MN.) and the line still stays with me where ever Im at heading to the middle of Kansas. I dont know how to get it to go away. Is it allways going to be there? When I turn off the TRACKS MODE the line is not there anymore, but returns when its in the track MODE. Any suggestions??

Also Id like to add Im aware of the pointer which wasnt on and the compass is just the empty circle cause its not in the track back or GOTO. The line appears when Im in the tracks MODE. When in the tracks mode I can come home and put into maps on the computer of where I was and where I went. Its not in the GOTO or route or Trackback features.

Any help would be thankful

canpaddle :blink:

Did you try clearing your track points?

:ph34r: Yes thank you for responding. Yes Ive deleated everything I could think of including the track log and Ive cleared the track log and saved tracks. Ive never ever even been to Kansas before. :P I dont want to deleate all the waypoints that are stored in it allthough I could down load them and then put them back. Any other suggestions? I wish this line would just go away I dont understand why its there/ Whats the purpose of it and how did it get in the GPS? I dont remember seeing it until recently. Help would be cherished.

Need help I thnk all who respond with any advice.

canpaddle :ph34r:

Is your GPSr a Garmin?

The line is probably a navigation line to one of the Garmin Waypoints (ususally in the unit by default originally) Try going to the waypoint page and finding the Garmin wpt and delete it(or them) and see if the line goes away.

Or go to the map page and "toggle" the pointer to the Kansas end of the line and determine what waypoint is there and then find it in the wpt list and delete it.

Also when on the map page, hit menu >stop navigation

Edited by Grasscatcher

Is your GPSr a Garmin?

The line is probably a navigation line to one of the Garmin Waypoints (ususally in the unit by default originally) Try going to the waypoint page and finding the Garmin wpt and delete it(or them) and see if the line goes away.

Or go to the map page and "toggle" the pointer to the Kansas end of the line and determine what waypoint is there and then find it in the wpt list and delete it.

OK thank you Ill try that now. I have Legend.

Is your GPSr a Garmin?

OK thank you Ill try that now. I have Legend.

Ok I just put the Legend outside and turned it on and panned to the end of the line. There is not a waypoint at the end it just ends near a little town called Lindell I think? Anyway it just stops there boom it stops. How strange. And I checked all the waypoints stored and didnt notice a Garmin wpt. of any sort. Any more suggestions? I think this is just so strange. Maybe someone in my living area could take a lookat it?? Not sure/but any advice needed.

canpaddle

If all else fails, save off your waypoints, and do a factory reset.

For the eTrex models with the click-stick:

Hold down the PAGE, ENTER, FIND, and ON buttons for 5 seconds.

For the other eTrex models:

Hold down the UP, PAGE, ENTER, and ON buttons for 5 seconds.

This resets everything back to their factory settings. You will lose your almanac data, any waypoints you had stored, intro screen personalizations, etc.

Edited by Prime Suspect

If all else fails, save off your waypoints, and do a factory reset.

For the eTrex models with the click-stick:

Hold down the PAGE, ENTER, FIND, and ON buttons for 5 seconds.

For the other eTrex models:

Hold down the UP, PAGE, ENTER, and ON buttons for 5 seconds.

This resets everything back to their factory settings. You will lose your almanac data, any waypoints you had stored, intro screen personalizations, etc.

Yes thank you for the advice. It seemed to work and the line has went away. It took me a little while to figure out to hold all three buttons at the same time till I noticed buttons was in plural. I was pressing each one by itself. Anyway thank you.

canpaddle