Nasty!

Davispak

I am currently working up one I am going to call "face your fear" Stage one is a box that has a sliding panel so you can reach your hand in, but can't see inside the box itself. inside is the clue and some strings that hang down and rub the top of your hand as you reach in. It feels really wierd, but the big thing is the creep factor of reaching into the unknown. another stage deals with heights and another with confined spaces.

Not asking if you like it or anything like that, but was wondering if there are some other nasty caches out there that deal with obsticales that aren't just 50 mile hikes or scaling Everst. Lets hear about the good and nasty caches out there, I wanna cringe :D

My cache, The Tube, is a 330 foot long, 10-15 diameter galvanized steel tube under a highway. There is broken glass, graffiti etc in the tube.

It is exceptionally creepy inside there. I have to face my fears when I replace the logbook! Curiously, it feels creepier in the daytime since the ends of the tube are bright lit by sun so if your eyes stray to the ends your pupils contract and it is hard to see.

(And don't worry, althought a micro, it isn't one of those nano things, it is acutally quite large for a micro, just camo'd unusally so that folks often miss it, shoot, I've missed it on maint runs...)

Paul

You can play on just about any common fear. Heights, confined spaces, critters, you name it. Some will just take a bit of imagination.

However, the scenario you mentioned could easily be defeated with a mirror and flashlight, a pair of gloves, even a small digital camera. I've got a letterbox that requires you too reach in blind. Even after scoping it out some folks have a hard time with it as you can't see what's in there right now.

another stage deals with heights

Snip

I'd be concerned about this stage. Is it safe? A cache shouldn't put a searcher in risk of injury. An exception would be a 5 star terrain that would require climbing gear.

Disagree...I've done many many many caches that put me at risk (be it of twisting an ankle by crawling over rocks or falling or getting bit by a snake or any number of other injuries), and not one of them have required climbing gear.

I say if it deals with heights or the risk of getting injured, just up the terrain rating. People should be smart enough to not attempt something that they don't feel comfortable with.

A cache we're setting up tomarrow is located on the inside of a blown up dam. You can climb down the dadgum, or just jump off into the river. Then you have to go under the water that is flowing off the dam (holding onto the concrete, with your head close to the dam) for about 15 feet. From there, there is a little hidden cavern (4' tall by 10' long) that you cannot see from the outside. (The water flowing over it blocks the view) It isnt dark inside the cave, just kinda wet and with about an inch of moss. It really is a cool area. The only scary part is going under the huge river on top of you, and going into a hidden cave.

I'll get some pics up tomarrow.