UK Geocache Density Map

rutson

Folk who've been here a while may remember that I made some cache density maps last year when I was bored in Sweden. Now, I'm bored in China and today revived them.

This is my latest effort for the (roughly) current situation:

gc200609.png

If you click on that map you have access to an ultra-high res zoomable version, and an animation showing cache placement over time (thanks for the idea Teasel (I think it was...)).

This is great map lets everyone see why i only have 55cache finds so far in Northern Ireland. not many hot spots for us.

It may be more to do with the fact that the map shows caches listed in the UK, and many of those in Northern Ireland are listed as Ireland.

Just checked my maps and I may have initially been wrong. Looking at Tyrone it is pretty barren - come on you lot over there, we are coming over next month.

This is great map lets everyone see why i only have 55cache finds so far in Northern Ireland. not many hot spots for us.

It may be more to do with the fact that the map shows caches listed in the UK, and many of those in Northern Ireland are listed as Ireland.

Just checked my maps and I may have initially been wrong. Looking at Tyrone it is pretty barren - come on you lot over there, we are coming over next month.

Which part of Northern Ireland are you hoping to visit? I am hoping to have 2 of my own caches placed this week. But i am in County down on the Ards penisula so thats a wee bit further than Co. Tyrone. there are quite a few good caches around teh belfast area.

Which part of Northern Ireland are you hoping to visit? I am hoping to have 2 of my own caches placed this week. But i am in County down on the Ards penisula so thats a wee bit further than Co. Tyrone. there are quite a few good caches around teh belfast area.

We will be coming for a weekend, so the plan is to have one day driving round to tick off as many of the counties as we can in NI, then spend the second day in Belfast.

We will be coming for a weekend, so the plan is to have one day driving round to tick off as many of the counties as we can in NI, then spend the second day in Belfast.

Sounds good, not entirely sure how many caches you will get in one day driving around the counties. i assume for that purpose you be looking for lots of drive to caches? if you wish i will make a list of some quicky caches in my area.

Sounds good, not entirely sure how many caches you will get in one day driving around the counties. i assume for that purpose you be looking for lots of drive to caches? if you wish i will make a list of some quicky caches in my area.

Day one isn't necessarily about the numbers of caches, or about them being drive bys. We have a long term goal of getting a cache in every county in the UK and Ireland, so number of counties is more important than number of caches on this trip.

The Sussex Downs growth is great early on - but mid East Sussex has been a late starter - I've placed 30 odd caches in the last few months - that may account for some of the later blue occuring in this area - plus the efforts of many others e.g Deep Digging Mole, Go Pack Go et al.

:laughing: hello! i was in work today thinking wouldnt it be good to have a map of every cache and wow you made one! fantastic (are you a bit nerdy or bored?!). anyway im on the west coast of wales so im gonna have to get some of my own caches out there - i want a blue patch!!

Hi Spinrek

Coooool! You come from Aber. The place where you can get a pint and a bird but not a cache :P

I am Red Kites daughter-in-law (ish) and we are going for red and orange :huh:

How about we team up next time The Dancing Samurais visit. Have you done 'The Only Cache in the Village Yet?' :huh: ??

Folk who've been here a while may remember that I made some cache density maps last year when I was bored in Sweden. Now, I'm bored in China and today revived them.

This is my latest effort for the (roughly) current situation:

If you click on that map you have access to an ultra-high res zoomable version, and an animation showing cache placement over time (thanks for the idea Teasel (I think it was...)).

Zoomable map doesn't seem to work for me - All I get is the "Zoomify" logo and no map ;)

Well! It must be said, I'd rather no be bored, but I do enjoy doing that sort of thing. Was a bit bored today and had a play with the binary MMO native Memory map format. I'm a hair's bredth away from native clickable imports from external data from say GSAK and (maybe, hopefully) GC:UK.

Day one isn't necessarily about the numbers of caches, or about them being drive bys. We have a long term goal of getting a cache in every county in the UK and Ireland, so number of counties is more important than number of caches on this trip.

If you do a tour of Lough Neagh roughly following National Cycle route 94 you can get 5 of the counties with appx. 100 miles of driving, and plenty of caches as well! It would just leave Fermanagh.