Xmas 2006 Geocoins

ranger216

What do you think?

Don't take this the wrong way, but with the geocaching colors coming out of the deers nose it looks like a rainbow, and thus, gives the initial impression that it's some sort of gay pride coin. I'd loose the rainbow and then I think it'd look better. Just my personal impression.

What do you think?

Don't take this the wrong way, but with the geocaching colors coming out of the deers nose it looks like a rainbow, and thus, gives the initial impression that it's some sort of gay pride coin. I'd loose the rainbow and then I think it'd look better. Just my personal impression.

I am glad you said that..

was wondering that myself

thanks

QUOTE(sir_zman @ Sep 13 2006, 05:31 AM) *

QUOTE(ranger216 @ Sep 13 2006, 05:00 AM) *

What do you think?

thanks

I didn't even notice the geocaching colors. I don't think they look like a rainbow at all. I like the design. As for the gay pride theory, well, it's in a series of Christmas/holiday coins, if you are dumb enough to think the one coin has something to do with gay pride, you're not smart enough to be a geocacher! (I am NOT saying this at Ranger216 (see quote above); my remark is directed in general towards anyone who may think that exclusively)

QUOTE(sir_zman @ Sep 13 2006, 05:31 AM) *

QUOTE(ranger216 @ Sep 13 2006, 05:00 AM) *

What do you think?

I didnt even see the gay pride comment til I read it again....

I just wasnt sure about the rainbow...

thought maybe red & white would be better,.,,

like a candy cane

I don't think they look like a rainbow at all. I like the design. As for the gay pride theory, well, it's in a series of Christmas/holiday coins, if you are dumb enough to think the one coin has something to do with gay pride, you're not smart enough to be a geocacher! (I am NOT saying this at Ranger216 (see quote above); my remark is directed in general towards anyone who may think that exclusively)

Wow, way to blow my comment out of proportion...I mean, I just said what it looked like to me, but your statement was pretty angry ... "if you are dumb enough" ... "your not smart enough"

I understand it's a holiday coin, but the colors just don't look good, and I said it was an initial thought, my main point remains, remove the colors and make the deer larger to take up a bit more space.

And hybridgeek, chill out, take a breath or two before you post a comment like that. As I said before, this is just my opinion.

I don't think they look like a rainbow at all. I like the design. As for the gay pride theory, well, it's in a series of Christmas/holiday coins, if you are dumb enough to think the one coin has something to do with gay pride, you're not smart enough to be a geocacher! (I am NOT saying this at Ranger216 (see quote above); my remark is directed in general towards anyone who may think that exclusively)

Wow, way to blow my comment out of proportion...I mean, I just said what it looked like to me, but your statement was pretty angry ... "if you are dumb enough" ... "your not smart enough"

I understand it's a holiday coin, but the colors just don't look good, and I said it was an initial thought, my main point remains, remove the colors and make the deer larger to take up a bit more space.

And hybridgeek, chill out, take a breath or two before you post a comment like that. As I said before, this is just my opinion.

even solid yellow or white would look better than the multi colors,,,

this will be a change,... for sure

Woah there sir_zman, I didn't mean it to be a personal attack on you or anything. I meant it as a general comment, if perhaps someone has any notions that it could cause a lawsuit (bring gay pride into things) or whatnot. I didn't realize I sounded so angry there. Sorry about that. Again, I didn't mean it to be a personal attack on anyone here, but more so as a warning for those who make stupid comments (like those that might post "That coin has gay pride, it's dumb"... and that's all they write... I've seen people post like that here).

ok .. the agenda here ... is Christmas.. lets continue that thread .. shall we?

Woah there sir_zman, I didn't mean it to be a personal attack on you or anything. I meant it as a general comment, if perhaps someone has any notions that it could cause a lawsuit (bring gay pride into things) or whatnot. I didn't realize I sounded so angry there. Sorry about that. Again, I didn't mean it to be a personal attack on anyone here, but more so as a warning for those who make stupid comments (like those that might post "That coin has gay pride, it's dumb"... and that's all they write... I've seen people post like that here).

What do you think?

thanks

It happens, people make interesting leaps sometimes. I recently had someone jump down my throat because, in my making the comment "banjoes in the background" when referring to a family of cachers, they thought I was suggesting incest! Woah!

Cute coin design, BTW, gay rainbow or no rainbow, :)

What do you think?

thanks

in my making the comment "banjoes in the background" when referring to a family of cachers, they thought I was suggesting incest! Woah!

You have got to be kidding

I agree about glow or sparkle on the light coming from Rudolph's nose. If you wanted to get the four geocaching colors in there, how about putting them on a collar around his neck? He *is* going to be pulling a sleigh, after all, so add something of that sort, and make it striped with the four colors.

Or you can forget the red nose altogether, and make this a coin for Olive. You know, Olive, the other reindeer :):):D

I agree about glow or sparkle on the light coming from Rudolph's nose. If you wanted to get the four geocaching colors in there, how about putting them on a collar around his neck? He *is* going to be pulling a sleigh, after all, so add something of that sort, and make it striped with the four colors.

Or you can forget the red nose altogether, and make this a coin for Olive. You know, Olive, the other reindeer :laughing::laughing::unsure:

I love Olive!

oh, yeah bigger antlers - smaller ears

That's what's been bugging me! I knew that there was some detail about the coin that didn't seem quite right; now I know what it is :laughing: Have to agree with this; the ears look more like a rabbit or coyote. Make the antlers bigger and shrink the ears; Rudolph isn't Dumbo, after all :laughing:

These coins are just getting better and better. You're doing a great job!

thanks for the encouragement....

still thinking about:

1> what metals to use

2> how many coin in set... love them all.. hate to have to choose.. thats why I am leaving it to YOU

3> total amount of sets

any help here would be appreciated

:unsure::laughing::unsure::laughing::ph34r:

still thinking about:

1> what metals to use

2> how many coin in set... love them all.. hate to have to choose.. thats why I am leaving it to YOU

3> total amount of sets

any help here would be appreciated :blink::laughing::);)B)

Well, I posted a while back that I thought that you could make this an "open-ended" set, much like your RR set; so issue four coins now, add one or two next year, another the year after, and so on. I still think that this has a lot of potential, and it will make it a bit easier for us to afford them, what with Christmas coming ;) There are plenty of precedents for this approach.

But if you want to just do one set and be done with it, do the full five or six designs that you have now, in one metal: I would choose shiny gold. If you do this as an open-ended series, then you probably could justify two metals: shiny gold and maybe an antique silver/pewter. But I think that the gold is probably going to be the metal that will fit the best with this particular offering. I would avoid black nickel or anything like that; these are bright coins, and you want a bright finish, which is why I think the gold is best. I mention the pewter/antique silver only because it has a long tradition as a "holiday metal".

As for total number of sets, I really think that, if you can afford to do it, you should take a page from crake's book on this, and have a reservation period with no upper limit of sets. Make this period be at least a month long. Send out invoices for *every* reservation after that period ends. Order that many sets, plus 100 minimum, if you can afford it, for yourself and late orders. Crake's offerings merit this sort of treatment, and I really think that you have a set here than can justify doing it the same way. The problem you might run into is how long they will take to get minted and mailed. But even crake has had those problems, and people let it go, as his stuff is good enough. This might be, too. I don't think you want to artificially limit this set to a certain number; let the market determine this for you. The profit motive isn't that important; this set obviously hs wide appeal, and you should be willing to let everyone who might want it get one (or two or five...). Doing it this way will also help to curb the ebay after-market. Because I (who stands to gain nothing from this advice) have suggested this approach, I don't think too many people will accuse you of profiteering if you adopt this approach. There will always be those who object to the "commercialization of geocoins"; IMHO, it's far too late to worry about *that*, as it started a couple of years ago.

Hope this helps :)

still thinking about:

1> what metals to use

3> total amount of sets

any help here would be appreciated :laughing::):blink:B);)

Well, I posted a while back that I thought that you could make this an "open-ended" set, much like your RR set; so issue four coins now, add one or two next year, another the year after, and so on. I still think that this has a lot of potential, and it will make it a bit easier for us to afford them, what with Christmas coming :) There are plenty of precedents for this approach.

But if you want to just do one set and be done with it, do the full five or six designs that you have now, in one metal: I would choose shiny gold. If you do this as an open-ended series, then you probably could justify two metals: shiny gold and maybe an antique silver/pewter. But I think that the gold is probably going to be the metal that will fit the best with this particular offering. I would avoid black nickel or anything like that; these are bright coins, and you want a bright finish, which is why I think the gold is best. I mention the pewter/antique silver only because it has a long tradition as a "holiday metal".

As for total number of sets, I really think that, if you can afford to do it, you should take a page from crake's book on this, and have a reservation period with no upper limit of sets. Make this period be at least a month long. Send out invoices for *every* reservation after that period ends. Order that many sets, plus 100 minimum, if you can afford it, for yourself and late orders. Crake's offerings merit this sort of treatment, and I really think that you have a set here than can justify doing it the same way. The problem you might run into is how long they will take to get minted and mailed. But even crake has had those problems, and people let it go, as his stuff is good enough. This might be, too. I don't think you want to artificially limit this set to a certain number; let the market determine this for you. The profit motive isn't that important; this set obviously hs wide appeal, and you should be willing to let everyone who might want it get one (or two or five...). Doing it this way will also help to curb the ebay after-market. Because I (who stands to gain nothing from this advice) have suggested this approach, I don't think too many people will accuse you of profiteering if you adopt this approach. There will always be those who object to the "commercialization of geocoins"; IMHO, it's far too late to worry about *that*, as it started a couple of years ago.

Hope this helps ;)

Thanks for the input

I NEED YOUR HELP!!

These are drawings of the Holiday Coins I am working on.

Thanks to everyone who gave me ideas !!

So.. Here is what I need now:

1> Should I keep all 6 coins or make it a 4 or 5 coin set?

2> or make it two sets of 3 coins

3> What metals should I use?

4> Any final changes/additions to coin fronts

5> How can I make the back of coin nicer? Not thrilled with the way it currently looks

set1.jpg

set2.jpg

1> Should I keep all 6 coins or make it a 4 or 5 coin set?

The more, the merrier, I say.

2> or make it two sets of 3 coins

You can sell them as set 1 and set 2 if you think they will sell better, or if you think it would make your ordering easier.

3> What metals should I use?

Personally, I think Silver and Gold would look best on these. Christmas is all about shiney things. :blink:

5> How can I make the back of coin nicer? Not thrilled with the way it currently looks

The only idea I had was to somehow work in a G+ colored like a Candy Cane. I think that would look festive. I couldn't think of where to put it though, unless you got rid of the poinsettas.

--Marky

1) Do them all - more fun to look forward to during the season

2) N/A

3) Gold & Silver - the shinier the better. No matte finish.

4) Good as are but I would still love to see a kid caching at the North Pole. :lol:

5) How about one of the geocaching symbols in holiday colors overlaid with a GPS wrapped in a ribbon? Or make the center the symbol - or something gc related - and then the sides can be the GPS with a red ribbon.

Fun set. Thanks for asking our opinions, no matter what you decide. :blink:

Edited by GPX Navigators

I'll buy them all no matter how many you make in the set. But, I'm addicted so I don't know if my opinion counts. :blink:

1) Keep all 6

2) Full set of 6

3) Shiny

4) Light from the nose be glittery.

5) Take off "4 coin set". The back is "pretty". Are you looking for more whimsical like the front? If so, you could switch the poinsettas to candy canes. What about caching stuff overflowing the top of the stocking? Or something coming out of the stocking.

What about a red rhinestone as the nose. I think there was a coin that had "diamonds" on it.

Great coins so far. Lots of great ideas. I have to agree with the rhinestone idea. Now that the backround is red and not rainbow, a gem may stand out better against the red backround. :blink:

what color ray should I use?

The red and rainbow didnt cut it!!

What about a red rhinestone as the nose. I think there was a coin that had "diamonds" on it.

Great coins so far. Lots of great ideas. I have to agree with the rhinestone idea. Now that the backround is red and not rainbow, a gem may stand out better against the red backround. :blink:

Can you do a silver or white glitter with a red gem for the nose?

Can you do a silver or white glitter with a red gem for the nose?

I like that idea, I think the red ray is way too much. A white glitter would look sharp.