Topo Software for Garmin

Kvang66

Okay I purchased the Garmin etrex Legend earlier this year. Now I need some good topo software. I like the NG topo software and the Delorme topo software, the easy print, 3D view, all the other features, and the 1:24,000 map scale. Mapsource is only 1:100,000 and I dont like that, to little detail.

Now some individuals say you can only use the Garmins Mapsource. How ever some say NG and Delorme are compatible with some Garmins. Now is the Delorme or NG topo compatible with my Garmin Legend??

Thank you for the imput, Hopefully you can give me the final/real answer!

I like the NG topo software and the Delorme topo software, the easy print, 3D view, all the other features, and the 1:24,000 map scale. Mapsource is only 1:100,000 and I dont like that, to little detail.

Sorry, but for your Legend Mapsource is your only choice. Word is that DeLorme will release their own GPSr soon, and it will be compatible with their Topo software, but so far nothing.

Anyway, trust me, between the screen clutter and slow screen updates, 2:24K maps on the legend would be next to unusable,

Edited by CheshireFrog

Thank you CheshireFrog for the answer. I just didnt want to buy two map softwares, one for the GPS and one for searching and printing detailed maps.

Another question: If I get Mapsource topo and Delorme topo, can I transfer tracks and waypoints created from Delorme to Mapsource to GPS and vis versa?

How ever some say NG and Delorme are compatible with some Garmins. Now is the Delorme or NG topo compatible with my Garmin Legend??

They are compatible in that you can create routes, tracks and waypoints on your desktop and send them to your unit, or vice versa. They will not however run ON your unit. If you want the topo maps on your unit you will need Mapsource.

Okay I purchased the Garmin etrex Legend earlier this year. Now I need some good topo software. I like the NG topo software and the Delorme topo software, the easy print, 3D view, all the other features, and the 1:24,000 map scale. Mapsource is only 1:100,000 and I dont like that, to little detail.

Now some individuals say you can only use the Garmins Mapsource. How ever some say NG and Delorme are compatible with some Garmins. Now is the Delorme or NG topo compatible with my Garmin Legend??

I am new to all this....but could someone please explain what is 1:100,000 and 1:24,000 terms mean? I am lost...i don't know much about it

Thanks for the answer!

I am new to all this....but could someone please explain what is 1:100,000 and 1:24,000 terms mean? I am lost...i don't know much about it

Thanks for the answer!

Those are map scales, i.e. the ratio of distance measured on the map to actual distance in real life. For example, on a 1:24 000 map, 1 mm measured on the map corresponds to 24 000 mm (24 m) in real life, and 1 in on the map is 24 000 in (2 000 ft) in real life, etc.

The 24k maps would have much more detail of the area than the 100k ones. If you download USAPhotoMaps, switch it to topo mode (T) then fill the screen (F), you will see the 24k map. If you scroll out to about 64 meters/pixel, the downloaded map will disappear. If press F again, you will get the 100k equivalent.

The difference is quite substantial, as you will see...

"I am new to all this....but could someone please explain what is 1:100,000 and 1:24,000 terms mean? I am lost...i don't know much about it"

1:100,000/1:24,000/1:12500 etc. are Representative Factors or R.F.'s and should not be confused with map scales. For example, they mean that:

one inch on the map equals 100, 000 inches on the ground

one mile on the map equals 100,000 miles on the ground

one popsicle stick on the map equals 1000,000 popsicle sticks on the ground

etc.

For example: 1:12,500 would mean that:

1 cm on the map equals 12,500 cm on the ground. It can then be converted to a scale of 1 cm on the map equals 125 metres on the ground (1 cm =125 m)

Edited by DustyWalker

Thank you for the imput Briansnat, that is just what I wanted to know. I think I will get Delorme Topo because of the detail and features, create my tracks and waypoints transfer them to my Legend and print out a hard copy map

Thanks for the help everyone, knew you guy/girls were the pros!