Running in to other cachers...

swaninwa

Hi there! Hubby and I fairly new to geocaching (3 months, 67 caches) and we're addicted. :laughing:

I have a question:

This past weekend we were on our second attempt at finding a particularly elusive cache, when suddenly another group of cachers (4 people) showed up. They introduced themselves, and they were super nice people. We all started looking for the cache together. No one really discussed it, but they started looking too, and we thought "what the heck, maybe they'll have better luck than we're having."

Then we started thinking:

What IS the proper way to handle this?

What happens if they find it? Do we count it as a find too?

Should we go away and let them look a bit on their own?

Should they have waited until WE left?

We've never run into fellow cachers on a hunt, so we had no idea what to do. They were even newer than us, with only about a dozen finds.

After searching for a bit, hubby and I were about to give up on this cache, figuring that the other group could have it. It WAS our second attempt after all, and we were tired and hungry and ready to go back to camp. Suddenly, hubby spotted the cache. The other group was unaware that we had found it, so we took it back to our truck to have a look.

We didn't know how to handle this, so we went to one of the other cachers and said "We found the cache, do you want to see?" I think we momentarily hurt their feelings as the response was "If WE'D have found it, we would have shown YOU..." <_<

We were HAPPY to show them where the cache was, but only if they wanted to know. We weren't trying to be sneaky, but also we didn't want to spoil someone elses surprise! I had been thinking that if THEY found it maybe we would want them to rehide it and not tell us? That way we could find it on our own. I really didn't know...

In this instance they wanted to know. So we DID show them the cache, were we found it, etc. They were lovely people and we hung out for a bit and chatted, and even exchanged email addresses. Everything worked out fine and it was great to have met them. But what if they HADN'T been the sweet nice people that they were? Are there rules regarding this situation? If so what are they?

Sorry this is so long winded, but it did raise a lot of questions for us. Any tips and comments would be most welcome. Thanks in advance....

Teri (swaninwa)

Most people play it by ear. If we have already found the cache and returned it to it's place when someone appears, we will let them know. If they want us to stick around and chat, we do, but if they prefer we go on about our day and leave them to search in peace, we do that as well.

Recently, we were busy frisking some bushes when a guy pulled up in a truck and yelled "Hey, are you gys geocaching?" When told him we were, but we weren't doing so well, and he said "Great, I'm going to join you if that's OK?" We ended up going around with him to find about 20 caches that day--some that we had already found, but he hadn't, that were on our way to others that none of us had found.

We have been on group hunts where if one person finds it, the act like they haven't and let everyone find it, and we have been on group hunts where the first finder sings out "Got it" and we all sign. I usually ask people which they prefer to do. Personally, I prefer to find the tricky caches myself, but I don't really care who finds the ones that are meant to be easy to find.

They were lovely people and we hung out for a bit and chatted, and even exchanged email addresses. Everything worked out fine and it was great to have met them. But what if they HADN'T been the sweet nice people that they were? Are there rules regarding this situation? If so what are they?

Cachers ARE "lovely people." We have never had anything but a great time when we meet fellow cachers. If they weren't nice, then just ignore them and do whatever you want to do. There are no rules other than common sense in dealing with people. As stated in earlier posts to this topic, there are a couple of ways to handle the "find." Just ask or suggest whatever method you prefer.

I like to cache as a team with some friends, but it is always fun to meet and compare notes with fellow cachers (kind of like a mini-event).

Sure, when you joined forces you became part of the team that found it.

I guess the best way is to ask. If I encounter cachers already involved with the hunt I'll ask if they mind if I join them. If the answer is yes, then I'll ask whether they prefer to use the Huckle Buckle Beanstalk method or the Three Musketeers method (though I don't call it that because it sounds silly and I might get strage looks).

Sure, when you joined forces you became part of the team that found it.

I guess the best way is to ask. If I encounter cachers already involved with the hunt I'll ask if they mind if I join them. If the answer is yes, then I'll ask whether they prefer to use the Huckle Buckle Beanstalk method or the Three Musketeers method (though I don't call it that because it sounds silly and I might get strage looks).

Watch out for Brian's Huckle Buckle method if might leave you scratching your head! :laughing: If I happen upon cachers on the trail I usual introduce myself and chat then ask if I can stand there while they find the cache. If they are helpful they will also sign my name in the logbook. :laughing:

I've run into a few. I simply introduce myself, and, if it hasnt been found yet, offer to help, or ask if they'd like to help. I think cachers are like hikers though; they will speak their mind pleasanlty enough, and most are rather happy to have someone else to share the experience with. If not, I take no offense; I'm here fir fun, and part of the fun is meeting people with like interests. If someone doesnt want help, or to be helped, or to team up, or whatever; fine. I'll gladly go my merry way.

I usually run right up to them, punch them square in the nose and then yell "YOU BEST BE STAYING AWAY FROM ME WHILE I BE TRYING TO FIND CACHES!" while pointing down at their twitching body.

Or if I'm not drunk, I'll just introduce myself and we can search for the cache together and both log it as found.

It sounds like you handled it well, but it might of made it less worrisome to you to have asked them right away if they wanted to hunt together. I have a friend that I usually cache with. I guess we use the Huckle Buckle method, but don't call it that. Usually one of us spots it and then moves away before saying we found it. Then we wait til the other finds it, retrieve it and sign. Sometimes I've gotten really excited about a tough cache and announced it without thinking...oops! But I've definitely been on group hunts where one did most of the finding and everybody signs. Happy hunting!

Briansnat once suggested this approach......

This started in NJ, but has taken the nation by storm. I've encountered cachers throughtout the US doing it. It goes like this:

When meeting somone you think might be a geocacher you yell "Ho, are ye a geocacher?" and the correct response is "Yay I a geocacher am I".

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left hand on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". This should continue for no less than 3 minutes.

At a GeoPicnic a few years ago, I had few different experiences. Most of the time, everyone pitched in and worked together, but one group would find the cache and sneak off with it, sign the log and return it. They would then leave saying that they would get it later. What they did had been noticed by another group who shared it with us. We caught up with the "sneaks" at another cache and returned the favor, except we let them know that we had found it and good luck!

Any other time I've met other cachers, we turn it into a group search.

To each his own!

IMHO. you handled the situation properly. Some people want to find it on their own. This is what you offered them. Others are more than happy to share the find with any cachers in the neighborhood. Which is also what you offered. Their option which course to take. We've probably run into fifteen or twenty other cachers/teams in our hunts. If we've found it, we offer the option for us to rehide it, or to show them where we found it. We haven't run into anyone, yet, who asked us to rehide it. If others on site, have found it first, we accept their gracious offer to show us where to rehide it. Five minutes into a search at a piece of the Berlin Wall in New York City, we heard a voice: "You aren't going to find it. We have it." We had a great chat with a team from Texas. They showed us where to rehide it. We had a great time!

On the other hand, when we accompany someone to a hide that we hae already found, we plop down on the nearest rock, and say "Have at it.", and watch their antics. Hee hee hee. My sister did that to us once, on one of her caches. Ten minutes later: "Sorry, sis. Your cache seems to have been muggled." Unfortunately, it had been. So we gave her a decon box, and she rehid it (after we had gone home. :D )

Briansnat once suggested this approach......

This started in NJ, but has taken the nation by storm. I've encountered cachers throughtout the US doing it. It goes like this:

When meeting somone you think might be a geocacher you yell "Ho, are ye a geocacher?" and the correct response is "Yay I a geocacher am I".

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left hand on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". This should continue for no less than 3 minutes.

Well, that will certainly clear the area of any on-lookers. Until the authorities arrive, that is.

I usually run right up to them, punch them square in the nose and then yell "YOU BEST BE STAYING AWAY FROM ME WHILE I BE TRYING TO FIND CACHES!" while pointing down at their twitching body.

Or if I'm not drunk, I'll just introduce myself and we can search for the cache together and both log it as found.

As we live in the central PA area, and do a lot of caching around hershey palmyra etc. We will try to limit our hunting time to before noon so as not to encounter you while drunk. Or do you follow the logic that it is noon somewhere out over the atlantic? :laughing:

Too funny!! :wub::wub:

Now all together.........

They're coming to take me away, ha ha, they're coming to take me away, ho ho.................

What IS the proper way to handle this?

There are no rules so do what you are comfortable with. That said, here is what I would do:

If the other group finds it I would count it as a find. What is the alternative? Since it has been found and you now know where it is you can never log it if you feel not finding it on your own doesn't qualify as a find.

Should you go away? No. You were there first.

Should they have gone away and waited for you to leave? Yes, if you explicitly and politely informed them that was your preference, otherwise no.

Generally I regard other cachers who arrive before me as having first dibs on the cache. That means if they welcome me looking with them then I do. If they say they would like some time to find it on their own (never happened yet) then I would respect that. Regardless of who actually finds the cache I count it as a find. Group effort thing.

Again, there are no rules governing this so do as you feel comfortable with. My opinion is just an opinion.

Edited by DaveA

I've only once ran into another couple while my son and I were caching (non tournament).

I initiated conversation, saying, "I think we're here for the same reason" and held up my GPS. He, then, held up his and we proceeded to all look for the cache together. Son and I took a break from searching to have some lunch, then looked again.

I made the find, but had no qualms about "sharing" the find with the other folks, as I assumed they would do the same.

Hello and welcome Swaninwa,

I see you are from my neck of the woods. I hope to meet you at a cache some day.

If I come upon someone looking for a cache sometimes I will hang back and let them find it before i approach. If I come upon them unexpectedly I will look with them but if I see it I move away from it and pretend to look. After a bit I may announce that i have found it and offer a hint if they want one.

I someone approaches me they can join me in the hunt, but I prefer them not to reveal it till I have found it or ask for a hint. Just a hint I don't like someone showing it to me.

I guess that's why I don't go to cache machines around here.

P.S. If you want to place a cache I like the ones that require a hike or beautiful Olympic scenery!! ;)

I think the OP handled it correctly and politely, proving they are obviously new to geocaching. With the group I hang out with however finds it first loudly proclaims the find and mocks the others for their lame hunting skills and lack of “the force”.

I’m afraid that if I did find it first and not tell the others and they found out they would pummel me with their walking sticks.

Welcome to Geocaching in the Great Pacific NorthWet.

WSGA

Suddenly, hubby spotted the cache. The other group was unaware that we had found it, so we took it back to our truck to have a look.

They were out walking around looking for the cache, and you took it to your truck while they were still looking?

:laughing::( that's just mean. :laughing: (but funny)

LOLOLOL! I honestly hadn't thought of that. I promise you we didn't leave them looking for long though, only for a few moments while we discussed how to best handle the situation. The truck was just a few feet away...in fact, while we were standing at the tailgate with the cache in our hands, one of the other cachers wandered over and started looking right next to us! Hehehehe. That's when we told them we found it.

Thanks for the welcomes and the responses everyone! This was my first post and I totally forgot to check on it for a couple of weeks. I wanted to let everyone know that I DID read all of your responses and got many chuckles as well as lots of good answers. We've now started geocaching with my Sis and her hubby so it's been fun to be in a little group. THANKS AGAIN!

Edited by swaninwa

Hello and welcome Swaninwa,

I see you are from my neck of the woods. I hope to meet you at a cache some day.

If I come upon someone looking for a cache sometimes I will hang back and let them find it before i approach. If I come upon them unexpectedly I will look with them but if I see it I move away from it and pretend to look. After a bit I may announce that i have found it and offer a hint if they want one.

If someone approaches me they can join me in the hunt, but I prefer them not to reveal it till I have found it or ask for a hint. Just a hint I don't like someone showing it to me.

I guess that's why I don't go to cache machines around here.

P.S. If you want to place a cache I like the ones that require a hike or beautiful Olympic scenery!! :(

Howdy Neighbor! I think part of the reason we weren't sure whether to tell them or not was because of our own feelings about it. If the situation had been reversed and they were the first to find it I think we would have been tempted to have them to rehide it so we could find it on our own. Like you, we wouldn't have wanted them to just show us. We like the challenge. In fact, we try not to use the encrypted hints or read too many logs unless we're stuck and need the help. They didn't care about finding it on their own though, which was totally fine. I just didn't want to spoil it for them if they felt differently.

P.S. We have recently placed two caches of our own, one in the Olympic National Forest and one another in a very nice Jefferson County Park. Both have nice scenery.

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE REPLY!!

Edited by swaninwa