How can you spot a fellow cacher?

currykev

Another geocacher is unmasked trying to retieve a 5/5 cache back in the 1930's. Note the large satchell required to porter the the GPS equipment, which in those days was powered by thermionic valves. Also note that in those days full leggings were standard attire to protect against nettle abuse. We are uncertain as to the benefit of the bobble hat but it is not inconceivable that the long wave reception aerial was somehow concealed within it.

t2_5KS00002.jpg

The strange guy, hiding in a bush in a park, with a camera round his neck, trying to look unconspicious as he fumbles about in the undergrwoth.

When done, he will sheepishly emerge, looking around hoping nobody saw him in there, casually brushing off twigs and leaves from his coat.

Amazing,Geo-Kate.You must be stalking me most weekends I fear. :laughing:

Along with the Boos, the Bugs, the Ollies and various other pub regulars we developed a handy sign language for identifying cachers in the field.

Identifying yourself as cacher to others

• You see someone in the distance you think might be a fellow cacher
  • Place your hands on head and move them upwards as if feeling the horns on a viking helmet
  • The other cacher, on seeing this signal, will echo it to show recognition

Negative response to the "horns" move

• You see a cacher in the distance make the "horns" move, but you do not wish to engage in conversation or be disturbed
  • Place your fist against your nose and make a twisting motion

Making the horns move to a non-cacher

• You make the horns move and realise your target is not a cacher
  • Continue the upwards motion of your hands and turn it into a nonchalant yawn

FTF

• You are returning from an FTF when you spot another cacher coming towards you
  • Place right hand on (your!) right breast and make a circling motion

Double FTF

• You are returning from an multiple-FTF when you spot another cacher coming towards you
  • Place right hand on right breast, left hand on left breast, and make a circling motions with both

These simple actions will surely be of use to the wider caching community and I urge you to adopt them. Maybe I should make a public information film....

Quickest and easiest way is to simply shout out ---------------Deceangi-------------and wait to see if steam comes out of the ears and flames out of the nostrils :D

Ahh, but most of us still haven't figured out how to pronounce that one! There seemed to be a few different suggestions at Shrops :D

Another geocacher is unmasked trying to retieve a 5/5 cache back in the 1930's. Note the large satchell required to porter the the GPS equipment, which in those days was powered by thermionic valves. Also note that in those days full leggings were standard attire to protect against nettle abuse. We are uncertain as to the benefit of the bobble hat but it is not inconceivable that the long wave reception aerial was somehow concealed within it.

t2_5KS00002.jpg

This woman is going bowling not caching. Those shoes are a give away.

Some years back, my wife and I were walking back along a forest path after successfully completing a multi in the area. Approaching us in the distance was a fairly fast paced hiker holding a small piece of paper. We thought at first he may be a cacher, but quickly tossed that idea aside when we could see no sign of a receiver (or any electronic device for that matter) about his person. Also, he seemed to be moving far too fast down the densely forested (and therefore signal-poor) area to be trying to zero his position.

However, our opinion was soon swayed as we watched him pause to look at his paper for the briefest of moments, take a split-second glance at a carefully concealed device in his pocket, and leap straight into the undergrowth off the trail - which happened to be exactly where the first stage of our recently completed multi was located!

We walked past him, and noted that this guy must be some sort of super-spy, for there would have been no way to know he was even there had we not seen him "enter". We couldn't resist having a little fun, and as we strolled past we called out.

"Good luck!"

A looong, long pause. And then a response. Very sheepishly.

"Do you know what I'm doing...?"

(Luckily, he was doing what we thought he was doing in there, and we had a great chat afterwards!)