The Pennsylvania DeLorme Challenge

PAchallenges

Hello from Keystone, MissPlaced and OReviewer! We wanted to give the geocachers of Pennsylvania a nice little gift. We are pleased to announce The Pennsylvania DeLorme Challenge cache. There is now a version for our state, following up on the successes in many other states.

All you need to do is find one geocache in each of the 69 map grids within the DeLorme Pennsylvania Atlas. Once we've verified your eligible finds, we will then send you the coordinates and instructions for a memorable final cache hunt. There are lots of geocoins and outdoors swag in the cache container, just waiting for your visit.

Complete instructions and rules for the Challenge are on the cache page. We will be happy to answer any questions. We have worked hard for the past six weeks or so to put this together for your enjoyment. Good luck and have FUN!

Hello from Keystone, MissPlaced and OReviewer! We wanted to give the geocachers of Pennsylvania a nice little gift. We are pleased to announce The Pennsylvania DeLorme Challenge cache. There is now a version for our state, following up on the successes in many other states.

All you need to do is find one geocache in each of the 69 map grids within the DeLorme Pennsylvania Atlas. Once we've verified your eligible finds, we will then send you the coordinates and instructions for a memorable final cache hunt. There are lots of geocoins and outdoors swag in the cache container, just waiting for your visit.

Complete instructions and rules for the Challenge are on the cache page. We will be happy to answer any questions. We have worked hard for the past six weeks or so to put this together for your enjoyment. Good luck and have FUN!

Y'know I had an Idea that you guys looked like that.

My question is...Do we have to find one cache in each of the 59 grids after the start of this ,or do previous finds count?

Yuck..Yuck.

My question is...Do we have to find one cache in each of the 59 grids after the start of this ,or do previous finds count?

Guideline #2

Generally accepted rules, guidelines and conditions for logging a cache find apply. These must be bona fide caches listed on Geocaching.com that you have personally (physically) found and logged. You may include caches found prior to the creation of the Pennsylvania DeLorme Challenge so long as they meet all other Challenge requirements.

Bolded for emphesis!

This looks like a fun Idea,and I would like to try it If it had a starting date instead of being able to count previous finds.

Not much of a level playing field for someone without a lot of finds.

IMHO.

Well, it's not like the FTF is going to take the cache home. Just because you may not be first doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a shot. Everyone needs to find at least one cache in each section of the map. All caches except events and locationless count. Sounds like a pretty level playing field to me.

This looks like a fun Idea,and I would like to try it If it had a starting date instead of being able to count previous finds.

Not much of a level playing field for someone without a lot of finds.

IMHO.

Well, it's not like the FTF is going to take the cache home. Just because you may not be first doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a shot. Everyone needs to find at least one cache in each section of the map. All caches except events and locationless count. Sounds like a pretty level playing field to me.

bieng FTF is not even the point. Or even the prizes for that matter.

I can just see people setting in front of their computer with the atlas checking off page after page of caches that they have done already, and never step outside until they have to.

If there was a starting date like the one in NJ. No one would have a head start on completing the game.

And thats what I consider it,a game to see who can do the work, complete it and get to the end.

I just like leaving the starting line when everybody else does.

But it does look like a fun thing to do.

O'BG

In putting together the PA DeLorme Challenge, we studied similar challenges in about 20 other states. There are NO other DeLorme Challenge caches which only allow caches found after the date of the Challenge cache. We didn't want to be criticized for being different.

In addition, the majority of other DeLorme challenges also allow you to count caches that you have hidden. We decided not to allow this, as it could encourage "throw down" hides just to make it easier to complete the Challenge. Go to a Grid, get off the highway, find a park and ride lot, leave a film canister, drive to the next Grid. Not what we had in mind. There are three other Challenges where hides don't count, plus one which allows hides ONLY if they predate the DeLorme Challenge. In two additional states, the DeLorme Challenge only allows hides if there are no caches on a map page. So, with six other similar examples, we felt we were in good company.

Honestly, if you want to get caught up, hop in your car and make a big circle using Interstate 80, Interstate 79, and the Pennsylvania Turnpike, picking off all the grids with one cache in each. You could have the Challenge done in just a few long roadtrips, and have a nice collection of rest stop and highway interchange restaurant parking lot finds. Others may choose to count their most memorable hike in a Grid, or the hardest puzzle cache they solved in a Grid. It is all up to you to decide how you want to have fun.

bieng FTF is not even the point. Or even the prizes for that matter.

I can just see people setting in front of their computer with the atlas checking off page after page of caches that they have done already, and never step outside until they have to.

Frank, I bet you anything that you complete this before I do.

:ph34r:

Great.... now I have yet another goal to shoot for! Sheesh! :anitongue:

Ok, here's my goal list, in no particular order... (and with no forseeable timeframe)

1. Find a cache in every county in PA

2. Find every PA cache on Lep's "Top 5% Favorite Cache Hunts" list

3. Find every cache on the "Pennylvania's Favorite Caches" bookmark list

4. Find every Walmart Parking Lot cache hidden in PA

5. And now the PA Delorme Challenge!

(Yes, I was just kidding about #4)

Luckily I have some traveling to do for work this fall, hopefully it will allow enough time to hit some caches inparts of the state where I rarely tread. So far, I have 26 of the 69 squares for this cool new goal!

For those wondering, here's a little more info regarding this challenge. Some was provided by OReviewer, some I just figured out on my own. (Please correct me if I've made any mistakes):

The "official" Delorme Altas & Gazetteer used for this challenge is the 7th edition, copyright 2001.

There are 71 grids mapped in the official version of the atlas, numbered 26 through 96.

The state is mapped in 6 rows, the first of which contains only 2 grid squares near Erie.

Rows 2 through 5 contain 14 grid squares, and row 6 contains 13 grid squares.

The grid rows are numbered as such:

Top row: #26 & #27

Row 2: #28 thru #41

Row 3: #42 thru #55

Row 4: #56 thru #69

Row 5: #70 thru #83

Row 6: #84 thru #96

Two of the grid squares (#41 and #69) fall completely outside of the PA boundary, leaving 69

grid squares in this challenge.

Each rectangle in the grid (except #96) is about 22.5 miles wide by 34.5 miles long, or just over 776 square miles. Grid #96 is only about 20 miles wide.

Some grids contain much less than 776 square miles of "in bounds" land area. For example:

Grid #26 contains only about 42 square miles of land in Pennsylvania.

Grid #83 contains only about 118 square miles in Pennsylvania.

Grid #96 contains only about 135 square miles in Pennsylvania.

Grid #55 contains only about 147 square miles in Pennsylvania.

And yes, I do have way too much time on my hands. :anitongue:

DeLorme thoughts:

I tried to post a message yesterday, but I think it is lost somewhere. (I was proficient at BBSing, but there is no option here to just 'post.')

I want to make sure that I understand guideline #5. Is it true that a multi with the final cache should be placed on the map page where the first stage is because that is what is listed on the cache page? Also a puzzle cache is counted by it's "fake," listed coordinates rather than the actual cache? It would seem to make more sense to count it where you sign the logbook - and prove that you really found it. Don't Panic (GCQW8K) is listed on map page 75, but the final cache is on map page 74 - for which page would it count?

We spent some time this weekend finding caches toward this challenge. We saw some new-to-us areas of PA, found a playground that our teenagers enjoyed, and learned a bit of history. Not sure if we'll go back again, but we were glad to see it this time.

I'm venturing here into the forums and am learning about bookmarks. (Why do they take so long to update? I don't see my additions/changes till the next day.)

I'm disappointed to see some disabled caches on some bookmark lists. It may be true that they were found, but it doesn't help us if we want to find some of the ones that others enjoyed. I suppose it's the same as a newly found cache that was disabled after the challenge began.

Our biggest request is not to take this away for a while - a long while. Thank you PA reviewers for helping us to grow and explore!

Sue Gabel

Edited by r.e.s.t.seekers

DeLorme thoughts:

I tried to post a message yesterday, but I think it is lost somewhere. (I was proficient at BBSing, but there is no option here to just 'post.')

You posted a separate thread. Be sure to click the "Add Reply" button, rather than the "New Topic" button, when participating in an existing thread. Anyways, welcome to the forums and to the PA DeLorme Challenge!

I want to make sure that I understand guideline #5. Is it true that a multi with the final cache should be placed on the map page where the first stage is because that is what is listed on the cache page? Also a puzzle cache is counted by it's "fake," listed coordinates rather than the actual cache? It would seem to make more sense to count it where you sign the logbook - and prove that you really found it. Don't Panic (GCQW8K) is listed on map page 75, but the final cache is on map page 74 - for which page would it count?

Yes, guideline 5 means what it says. We use the posted coordinates because those are the coords that show up in a pocket query. It would be too much work to look up the final coordinates; sometimes these aren't even known. So, GCQW8K would count for map page 75 only. For a puzzle cache, the posted fake coordinates are supposed to be within a mile or two of the actual location. Close enough for horseshoes, hand grenades and the DeLorme Challenge. There are a few exceptions, of course, mainly older caches and special cases.

We spent some time this weekend finding caches toward this challenge. We saw some new-to-us areas of PA, found a playground that our teenagers enjoyed, and learned a bit of history. Not sure if we'll go back again, but we were glad to see it this time.

Good. That is one reason why the cache has been set up. A nice incentive to travel around the State.

I'm venturing here into the forums and am learning about bookmarks. (Why do they take so long to update? I don't see my additions/changes till the next day.)

There have been some technical issues with bookmark lists, but Groundspeak is aware of them and it's on the list to get them fixed. A new bookmark entry is *supposed* to show up immediately. Sometimes it doesn't.

I'm disappointed to see some disabled caches on some bookmark lists. It may be true that they were found, but it doesn't help us if we want to find some of the ones that others enjoyed. I suppose it's the same as a newly found cache that was disabled after the challenge began.

Don't worry about disabled caches; many of them come back to life after maintenance is performed or any other problem is resolved. You'll also see archived caches -- those you can't look for and log, but the history is still interesting to read. Geocachers who have been around for awhile may recall an archived cache as being their favorite, or perhaps it is the *only* cache they found on a particular map grid. We think you'll still become aware of a lot of nice geocaches through participating in the DeLorme Challenge.

Our biggest request is not to take this away for a while - a long while. Thank you PA reviewers for helping us to grow and explore!

Sue Gabel

The cache won't be going anywhere. :laughing:

If someone that is a premium member can map my caches from a pq to determine what grids I have done is that wrong?

It may be easier for you to kick up $3 for this month to find out the status yourself. I can't think of an easy way for someone else to run a PQ for caches that you have found. You can very easily.

NO, you are reading my post completely WRONG DeskJocky. I am a premium member and have been for two years. What I was asking is this: I would like to send my PQ that I personally run of my finds to someone else who is a Premium Member to determine which grids I have fulfilled of the delmore map. However, I am being told that a premium member cannot share a pocket query with another premium member.

I have no idea how to run any type of mapping software so I will have to look at each grid on the map to determine if I found a cache in that area.

The cache owners' wish is that the DeLorme Challenge be conducted in compliance with Groundspeak's terms of use for pocket queries. These are even linked from the cache page. We do not wish to encourage sharing of pocket query information in violation of the license agreement.

We provide mapping tools in a number of formats so that you can determine which map grids you've completed. If none of the presently available alternatives work for someone, post here and maybe someone can help by developing one for that user's mapping software of choice.

I have no idea how to run any type of mapping software so I will have to look at each grid on the map to determine if I found a cache in that area.

The other idea I can suggest is that if you want to start throwing caches you found in a bookmark list and send me the link, I'll DL and let you know where things are.

The cache owners' wish is that the DeLorme Challenge be conducted in compliance with Groundspeak's terms of use for pocket queries. These are even linked from the cache page. We do not wish to encourage sharing of pocket query information in violation of the license agreement.

We provide mapping tools in a number of formats so that you can determine which map grids you've completed. If none of the presently available alternatives work for someone, post here and maybe someone can help by developing one for that user's mapping software of choice.

I didn't mean to break any rules and that is why I asked first. I went to the guidelines on gc.com and could not find specifically where I was not allowed to share pocket queries. That is why I asked first.

The other idea I can suggest is that if you want to start throwing caches you found in a bookmark list and send me the link, I'll DL and let you know where things are.

There are over 800 caches. ;) Thank you for your offer though.

There are over 800 caches. ;) Thank you for your offer though.

True but I'm guessing you can estimate from the maps where things are (or pick the ones furthest from your place) and throw them in and I can do what I can...

NO, you are reading my post completely WRONG DeskJocky. I am a premium member and have been for two years. What I was asking is this: I would like to send my PQ that I personally run of my finds to someone else who is a Premium Member to determine which grids I have fulfilled of the delmore map. However, I am being told that a premium member cannot share a pocket query with another premium member.

Yup, I was wrong...

LadeBear,

You could use GSAK to save your All Found pocket query as a LOC file, then give that to pretty much anyone. I don't think LOC files are covered under the Groundspeak proprietary info clause, because they don't contain proprietary GPX info. Whoever you give the LOC to can import it into GSAK then export the data into whatever mapping program they use.

I'm not a laywer, but I know an interested party who is, so perhaps he could comment on the legalities of doing this? I've not read the Groundspeak legalese lately either, so I might be wrong in my thinking. My GPSMap 60CSx just arrived today and I'd rather play with it than read lawyerspeak. :o

As a Garmin Mapsource user, here is the process I followed for developing My Bookmark List for the caches I'm using in the DeLorme Challenge:

1. Create a bookmark list. Make sure to check the boxes so that the list is "public" and "shared." Add the Pennsylvania DeLorme Challenge cache to the list to start it off.

2. Obtain an "All My Finds" pocket query, and filter out all locationless finds, all Event Cache finds, all CITO Event finds, and all finds outside of Pennsylvania. Save that as a new file; I called mine "DeLorme.GPX."

3. Open the DeLorme.GPX file in Garmin Mapsource. Copy the entire set of waypoints so it's in the clipboard.

4. Download and open the Mapsource file, "DeLormeFinal.GDB," available from the link on the cache page, and hosted on the Central PA Geocachers site. This file contains the lines marking the grid boundaries for the DeLorme Atlas pages.

5. Paste the waypoints from the clipboard on top of the grid file. Save this merged file of grid lines and waypoints; I called mine "MyDeLorme.GDB."

6. Study each grid that has a cache icon in it. If there's only one, right-click on it to bring up the properties box, and click on the URL link to the cache page. Bookmark the cache on the DeLorme bookmark list. I edited the name of the bookmark to put the Grid number in front of the cache name, so they will be listed in Grid number order rather than alphabetically by cache title.

7. If there are just a few caches in a grid, right-click to peek at the names until you spot a cache that you especially enjoyed and want to feature on your bookmark list. Follow the procedure in #6 to add it to the bookmark list.

8. If there are a ton of found caches on a grid, like in your home area, choose a cache in the center of that grid. Sort your list of finds (in GSAK, Watcher, etc.) centered around that cache. Scan through the list until you spot a cache memorable enough to be your entry for that busy grid. Go back to MapSource and double-check to confirm that the selected cache appears in the proper grid. Bookmark it, following the procedure in #6.

This cache will see an FTF log in the near future. Yesterday, we were notified that carels have completed the Challenge requirements by finding a geocache in each of the 69 DeLorme grids. This is an amazing accomplishment, considering that only 17 of the claimed grid caches were found by carels prior to the publication date of the DeLorme Challenge Cache. They've had a busy couple of weeks to knock off the remaining 52 grids, jumping ahead of many other well-traveled Pennsylvania geocachers! That is exactly the kind of adventure that we wished to inspire by setting up this cache. We look forward to hearing more details when carels submit a "found it" log.

We are in the process of verifying each find, and providing instructions to carels for the final cache location. If anyone else is about to complete the Challenge, please understand that there will be a delay of identical length before the cache location is revealed to other finders. This will give carels a well-deserved leg up on scoring a memorable FTF.

We have an FTF! Congrats to carels for making the Pennsylvania DeLorme Challenge their 1500th find.

From their log, we now know that finding the final cache involved a six hour hike, the cache is in the woods, and it is not at a Wal-Mart. :huh:

There are still three geocoins, a Jeep Travel Bug and some cool prizes like a pair of Binoculars in the cache. Who will be second to find?

We have now verified that lightman&lulu have qualified for finding the final DeLorme Challenge Cache, and instructions have been sent to them. If you look at their profile and record of cache finds, you might agree that their feat is even more amazing than carels' run for the FTF. It is amazing what a geocacher can accomplish when a challenge is made. Congratulations to lightman&lulu, and good luck with your final journey!

Wow! The verified finds just keep rolling in, as do the great stories. Congratulations are in order for Blue Blazes and Junique, who teamed up for a wild roadtrip to complete the DeLorme Challenge in short order. Instructions for finding the final cache have been sent, so watch for two more smiley logs in the near future.

Congrats too, to lightman&lulu, for finding the final cache last weekend. And thank you for the very nice log about your favorite memories along the way to completing the Challenge. That's what it's all about!

Wanted to post a note stating that I am glad to see this cache in PA. I had stumbled across a thread of the one in CA a while back and thought that it was such a good idea. After reading about the cache last week I decided to change my caching plans over the weekend and knock out a few more caches for this challenge. Ended up getting 6 more blocks and have 30 overall. Now I have to plan my weekends to travel parts of the state I have never been to before (for the most part). Already got to see some nice areas and caches I would not otherwise have been to see. Great job PA reviewers

I saw that someone rated my "Delorme Challenge" bookmark list with a thumbs down, because it "clutters up the cache page". I can see the person's point... perhaps we should remove the "public" flag from the Delorme Challenge bookmark lists. I've taken the public flag off mine. I know the PADC cache page suggests making the bookmark lists "public" and "shared", but I'd suggest that just "shared" would perhaps be the better option, as cache owners might not appreciate having their pages cluttered with Delorme Challege bookmark lists that are of little interest to anyone except the bookmark list owner.

Something to consider.

Aside from that, has anyone else noticed the extreme lack of caches in grid #89? I ran a pocket query that excluded micros and multis and exactly one cache showed up for grid #89 (Len Miller bridge, GCP9P6). Whether there are actually any micros or multis in that grid I don't know... but I had to wonder, if a grid actually ended up cacheless, does that mean that no one would be able to complete the PA Delorme Challenge until a new cache was hidden there? Or would the reviewers just exclude that grid from the official count?

Woo hoo! Congratulations are due to 2 Guys Named Moe for completing the Pennsylvania DeLorme Challenge final cache yesterday. It took them two tries, due to a wise decision to turn back midway through their first attempt. So, given the difficulty of the hike, extra kudos are deserved.

Check out their very nice log entry here. In words and pictures, they've captured the fun of traveling all over the state on a big adventure.

I saw that someone rated my "Delorme Challenge" bookmark list with a thumbs down, because it "clutters up the cache page". I can see the person's point... perhaps we should remove the "public" flag from the Delorme Challenge bookmark lists. I've taken the public flag off mine. I know the PADC cache page suggests making the bookmark lists "public" and "shared", but I'd suggest that just "shared" would perhaps be the better option, as cache owners might not appreciate having their pages cluttered with Delorme Challege bookmark lists that are of little interest to anyone except the bookmark list owner.

I had that same feedback slapped on my bookmark list.

In setting up my bookmark list as public and shared, I reasoned that a cache owner ought to be honored to see their cache featured as the best one that I found in that particular map grid. Granted, there may be even better ones that I haven't found yet, but it's still meant to be a compliment for a cache that I selected as a standout above others. I feel that making this sort of bookmark list public is more useful than "My FTF's" or "Caches on my route from Maine to Missouri." If anyone sees a DeLorme bookmark, they're instantly hooked into dozens of lists of caches that others have found to fulfill the cache requirements, and lots of really high quality caches (and yes, some park and grabs as well).

Some time ago, and in response to the feedback, I modified my bookmark list text to say that owners who were bothered by their cache appearing on my list should feel free to contact me, and I would take care of it. I haven't heard anything.

A bookmark link is just two lines of text in a box. You don't need to even look at it to read the cache description. It doesn't show up in pocket queries, which is how many people read cache information.

I suppose we should also remove travel bug links? They clutter up the page too, especially all the missing geocoins pilfered from the cache the day they're dropped, but not moved off the cache page by the cache owner or coin owner.

All that being said, I respect the choice made by DocDiTTo and perhaps others to keep their lists private except when it comes time to send an e-mail link to the DeLorme cache owners for verification. The site affords the different options, and so long as the Terms of Use are not violated, everyone should feel free to choose the option they like best.

All that being said, I respect the choice made by DocDiTTo and perhaps others to keep their lists private except when it comes time to send an e-mail link to the DeLorme cache owners for verification. The site affords the different options, and so long as the Terms of Use are not violated, everyone should feel free to choose the option they like best.

I was just fixin' to start my bookmark list, not only for Pa. but for New York and Rhode Island also (don't laugh R.I. has 12 grids :( ). Before I even saw this or DocDitto's post, I was going to go shared, but not public. Just a personal choice though, no big deal one way or the other.

(Funny, that photo looks a bit off for Pennsylvania in March! :laughing: )

Not at all off, that's exactly how I remember it. We found a really special place to put the cache!

Yep. Leprechauns love hiding caches at the ends of rainbows. And finding them there, too.

I added 11 DeLorme grids to my total during March. I really want to get to that beach like Olf D'Coors just did!

I added 11 DeLorme grids to my total during March. I really want to get to that beach like Olf D'Coors just did!

I guess I better step it up! I'm hoping to arrive on "the beach" myself sometime this summer. If all goes according to plan it should be somewhere very close to the time my little smiley counter rolls over into 4 digits. Hmmm... I wonder whether I can make it all happen on the same day? :blink:

Here's a GSAK Macro that will fill in the grid number for Pennsylvania caches. Just save it to your GSAK macro folder then run it. It'll put the grid number in the USERDATA field of your current GSAK database. If a cache is outside of Pennsylvania, or of a type not eligible for the PA Delorme Challenge, it will not be assigned any grid number. This should help others who are planning Delorme Challenge runs.

# PA Delorme Challenge Grid Calculator
# For use with GSAK 
# Version 1.1
# Coded by DocDiTTo April 22, 2007
# Save to your C:\Program Files\GSAK\Macros folder
# Report any errors or problems to "docditto at comcast dot net"

# This macro will first filter out all non-Pennsylvania caches and cache
# types which aren't eligible for the Delorme Challenge, then it will run 
# through all the remaining caches and calculate which Delorme Challenge 
# grid they're in. 

# WARNING:  This macro will overwrite the USERDATA field in whatever GSAK 
# database it's run on.  Normally this won't be an issue, but if you have any 
# data in the USERDATA field you want to keep, make a copy of your database 
# before running this macro. 

# Since only caches in PA count for the PA Delorme Challenge but the grids go 
# outside of PA, I've used a close approximation for the western and southern 
# border of the state in order to not flag caches outside PA for the challenge. 
# The official gridlines are noted below in comments.

$BOTTOM_OF_PA = 39.719917
# $BOTTOM_OF_PA = 39.5  (on the offical Mapsource grid)

$WEST_EDGE_OF_PA = 80.519317
# $WEST_EDGE_OF_PA = 	80.625000 (on the offical Mapsource grid)

# The text below is prepended to the grid number in GSAK.  You can change it 
# to $GridText = "" if you want to put only the number in the USERDATA column.
$GridText = "Grid "

# First filter out caches that aren't in Pennsylvania and events which
# don't count for the PA Delorme Challenge.
MACROSET Dialog=FILTER Varname=$Only_PA_Filter
FILTER Name=<MACRO>
SORT By=natural

$Counter=0
TABLE Active=caches
GOTO Position=Top
 WHILE not($_eol)
  $CurrentCacheGrid = ""
  $counter = $counter +1
  SHOWSTATUS msg=Processing cache $Counter - $d_Name   

# Set $LatVal as the decimal degrees of latitude
   $LatVal = Val($d_Latitude)
   # Set $LonVal as the absolute value of decimal degrees of longitude
   # That way we don't have to mess with negative numbers.
   $LonVal = Abs(Val($d_Longitude))

# ROW 1 - Grids 26 & 27
 IF $LatVal > 42.0 AND $LatVal < 42.5
	 # Grid 26
	  IF $LonVal > 80.1875 AND $LonVal < $WEST_EDGE_OF_PA
 		  $CurrentCacheGrid = "26"
	  ENDIF
	#Grid 27
 		IF $LonVal > 79.750000 AND $LonVal  < 80.187500 
		  $CurrentCacheGrid = "27"
 		ENDIF
ENDIF