Garmin Magellan rant

spark363

I just got a 60csx and it has a worse basemap that the Magellan I bought a few years ago. My rant is....why, after spending an assload of money on this unit, do I have to kick out another $130 or so for maps? I was mad at Magellan for this and bought their 80s like software and i'll end up buying Garmins too. Sorry, just my rant here.

Cause they got us over a barrel. I don't like paying through the nose for maps either, but what else are you gonna do? I think there should be a deal on the software if you're committing to buying their hardware. A half price deal or a $50 rebate on the software would certainly catch my interest. Wishful thinking, I'm sure...

It sounds like you did not shop around! :)

I recently purchased a Garmin Legend, bundled with the Garmin Topo Canada software for $199.00 CDN at my local Walmart!!! :D

The Legend's normal retail at Walmart is around $179.00 CDN just for the unit by it's self, and the Topo Canada software is also another $179.00 CDN. :)

I am very happy with the "DEAL" I found!!!! :D

Edited by Xlobsterman

It sounds like you did not shop around! :)

I recently purchased a Garmin Legend, bundled with the Garmin Topo Canada software for $199.00 CDN at my local Walmart!!! :D

The Legend's normal retail at Walmart is around $179.00 CDN just for the unit by it's self, and the Topo Canada software is also another $179.00 CDN. :)

I am very happy with the "DEAL" I found!!!! :D

There's a huge difference between the Legend and a GPSmap 60CSx, both in price and in features. It would be nice if, when you a buy a GPS reciever that retails for US $400+ they'd cut you some slack on the software.

My rant is....why, after spending an assload of money on this unit, do I have to kick out another $130 or so for maps?

Because getting the maps of nearly every street in North America costs Garmin a lot of money, as does the development and maintenance of the software. When you think of the complexity of what something like City Navigator does and how useful it can be its actually pretty cheap. Especially when you compare it with any other decent software package.

My rant is....why, after spending an assload of money on this unit, do I have to kick out another $130 or so for maps?

Because getting the maps of nearly every street in North America costs Garmin a lot of money, as does the development and maintenance of the software. When you think of the complexity of what something like City Navigator does and how useful it can be its actually pretty cheap. Especially when you compare it with any other decent software package.

Microsoft Streets & Trips - $30-40. Delorme Street Atlas USA - $40-50. Both contain street maps of the entire country, and can auto route you to your destination. As a bonus, they also talk to you and can understand spoken instructions. What exactly does City Navigator have that they don't, except the ability to load maps into a Garmin GPSr? Companies like TeleAtlas and Navteq obtain and sell the street map data, all that Garmin/Microsoft/Delorme do is buy and resell that data packaged in their own special wrapper. Sure they have to make money, but $140 for City Navigator seems pretty expensive compared to other similar programs, especially since you're locked into Garmin hardware. I don't think that's "pretty cheap". And if you're going to sock it to me, don't limit me to only 2 units!

I just got a 60csx and it has a worse basemap that the Magellan I bought a few years ago. M

Guess what? The basemap of the 60 series is much worse than the basemap of the Legend B&W series despite the 60 series having much more memory. Spend more money, get less map. It sucks.

But as others have said, the GPS manufacturers have you over a barrel when it comes to having to buy their maps and their maps only.

There's a huge difference between the Legend and a GPSmap 60CSx, both in price and in features. It would be nice if, when you a buy a GPS reciever that retails for US $400+ they'd cut you some slack on the software.

Well Doc,

YES...............I am fully aware of the differences between the 2 units, both in price, and features!!! :unsure: And if I had found a comparable deal/price on a 60csx, I would purchase that unit too!!! :blink:

I guess you feel that just because you spent more $, you should get more???

Anyhow, it's like I stated in my original reply to you, "I am happy with the deal I found" :blink:

Some people love to "RANT", and some people like to "GLOAT", I am done gloating now!!! :P

Microsoft Streets & Trips - $30-40. Delorme Street Atlas USA - $40-50. Both contain street maps of the entire country, and can auto route you to your destination. As a bonus, they also talk to you and can understand spoken instructions. What exactly does City Navigator have that they don't, except the ability to load maps into a Garmin GPSr?

Well there is that whole "Oh you need a computer thingy so this software will work, preferably a notebook so you can autoroute in your car." Not a good comparison. Think ~100$ for maps for the entire US on my GPSr is a reasonable cost.

I agree the basemaps in the garmin legendC & 60cx completely suck compared to all the magellans I have owned, but I would still like my garmin recievers better. just go buy the maps, even if you have to save for them, they are well worth the extra money.

If I were to complain about anything its the fact I have to spend $100 for good street data(city navigatorV8) & spend $100 for offroad data(topo usa). would be nice if they sold them as a package deal for less money.

I agree the basemaps in the garmin legendC & 60cx completely suck compared to all the magellans I have owned, but I would still like my garmin recievers better. just go buy the maps, even if you have to save for them, they are well worth the extra money.

If I were to complain about anything its the fact I have to spend $100 for good street data(city navigatorV8) & spend $100 for offroad data(topo usa). would be nice if they sold them as a package deal for less money.

Well like I said "this is a rant" and you know I'll buy the software anyway. I did when I got my Magellan. It seems the Garmin is much superior to my Magellan and it has waymore features too. Too bad the other software makers couldn't add Garmin or Magellan D/Ls, a little competition is good for the economy.

Lobsterman, I'm happy that you are satified with your purchase, to each his own. I wanted something more and was willing to pay more for it. I just would like to see the software for it a little more resonable.(in my mind) As for "gloating" you still get what you pay for.

Seriously guys, who cares for the basemap? I'd be happy if I could delete that useless memory hog to have more waypoint and tracklog space.

Jan

Totally agree ! It would furthemore standardize the GPSr worldwide. May be it is the reason they keep it in fact, to be able to produce various versions for the different part of the world and somewhat protect their local vendors.

The EU 60CX costs twice the price of the US version which I got to use in Europe because I knew would work.

If I were to complain about anything its the fact I have to spend $100 for good street data(city navigatorV8) & spend $100 for offroad data(topo usa).

Which is exactly why I won't by Garmin GPS.

With Magellan, their topo software comes has the same full street data as their city software. All they've done is that the the topo software has the street data minus the POIs, and the city software as the POIs minus the terrain detail.

Better yet is Lowrance's "MapCreate" software which has full street data, full terrain detail, plus POIs.

Seriously guys, who cares for the basemap? I'd be happy if I could delete that useless memory hog to have more waypoint and tracklog space.

I don't think the basemap is a waste, especially not on Garmins. I was surprised by the detail of the basemap on my eXplorist 400 because it had some local roads. It was good for getting my bearings before I bought DirectRoute. Unfortunately, Magellan's basemap is not routable. To create a route from Chicago to Los Angeles, I'd have to load the detail maps for every place in between. On the other hand, Garmin's basemap is routable. I could load detail maps for the Chicago area, rely on the basemap's interstates and US highways in between, since I probably wouldn't stray from them, then load the detail maps for LA so I can get directions to my destination based on the surface streets.

I don't think the basemap is a waste, especially not on Garmins. I was surprised by the detail of the basemap on my eXplorist 400 because it had some local roads. It was good for getting my bearings before I bought DirectRoute. Unfortunately, Magellan's basemap is not routable. To create a route from Chicago to Los Angeles, I'd have to load the detail maps for every place in between. On the other hand, Garmin's basemap is routable. I could load detail maps for the Chicago area, rely on the basemap's interstates and US highways in between, since I probably wouldn't stray from them, then load the detail maps for LA so I can get directions to my destination based on the surface streets.

We're talking about Garmin's *x units here ... I have a 1G MicroSD in the unit and the basemap never shows anyway. For my previous units (Legend and VistaCS), I'd agree for exactly the example you gave. But it doesn't apply to the 60CSx I'm using now.

Jan