Changing Usernames

GeoBeav & Kilikina

It seems that in chatting with other local cachers, I am not the only one who's not exactly happy about no longer being able to change our username without having to create a totally new account and re-logging every find! We have autonomy over almost every other aspect of our account/profile, but can do nothing practical about our username. Life happens and sometimes changes are needed to reflect those changes. That's just my opinion, and that and 50 cents will get you a cup with no coffee at Starbucks! GeoBeav

I don't think it's possible any more. New software was added to the system which couldn't cope with users being able to change their name. I assumed this new software was the "caches along a route" functionality which appeared at the same time as name changing was disabled.

It seems that in chatting with other local cachers, I am not the only one who's not exactly happy about no longer being able to change our username without having to create a totally new account and re-logging every find! We have autonomy over almost every other aspect of our account/profile, but can do nothing practical about our username. Life happens and sometimes changes are needed to reflect those changes. That's just my opinion, and that and 50 cents will get you a cup with no coffee at Starbucks! GeoBeav

You read this, correct?

Geocaching Announcements Username Lockdown

Thanks for sending this link as I had not read this prior to now. Figured there had to be a legit reason in the minds of Groundspeak. Thanks to all for your feedback!!!

GeoBeav

You read this, correct?

Can't delete it, but you can post all of the finds on the new account, delete all of the finds on the old account, use the geocaching.com/adopt page to transfer everything, write the contact@ address to move any premium memberships, and then clear all of the details off of the old account (delete the descriptions, etc., from the profile).

Then as a last gesture, on the old profile state "This was my old account. Here is my new one."

That should pretty much close it.

That should pretty much close it.
After going through all that, I would probably also commit a major geocide under my old account in the forums, just for the fun of it. :D
:D

Do it.

Do it, Do it, Do it, Do it, Do it, Do it, Do it, Do it, Do it, Do it, Do it, Do it.

Chicken. Braaabraawbraaw.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

So, is it completely impossible to change username due to technical issues, right?

It's not a "Let's cut off this feature just because we want to", right?

Yessir.

Thanks for sending this link as I had not read this prior to now. Figured there had to be a legit reason in the minds of Groundspeak. Thanks to all for your feedback!!!

GeoBeav

You read this, correct?

In any case, of all the service websites/forums for outdoor sports and extreme outdoor sports to which I belong, geocaching.com was the only one which ever allowed me to change my name (that is, until the reent freeze.) The vast majority of other websites for outdoor sports and adventure sports have NEVER allowed such changes.

In my case, my name is Vinny, and that is reflected in our team name, and I do not ever plan on changing my name!

Life happens and sometimes changes are needed to reflect those changes.

In the five years that I've been geocaching, my name has never changed. In fact, in the 30+ years I've been on this earth, my name has never changed.

Choose wisely.

Jamie

That's because you are a man.... :)

In any case, of all the service websites/forums for outdoor sports and extreme outdoor sports to which I belong, geocaching.com was the only one which ever allowed me to change my name (that is, until the reent freeze.) The vast majority of other websites for outdoor sports and adventure sports have NEVER allowed such changes.

Many sites do however allow one to change your display name. i.e. your username never changes but the name displayed to other users can. Could this not be an option?

I doubt I'll ever change mine. But my children have their own profiles, and when they become older they may well want to change theirs

Edited by GlobalRat

A good way to implement this would be to have a separate 'display name' from your (login) 'account name'.

This is how a lot of sites do it - can't change your username, but you can change display name.

Display name is only used in the UI. All other backend stuff uses user/login name.

-B

A good way to implement this would be to have a separate 'display name' from your (login) 'account name'.

This is how a lot of sites do it - can't change your username, but you can change display name.

Display name is only used in the UI. All other backend stuff uses user/login name.

-B

You read this, correct?

Edited by BlueDeuce

You read this, correct?

Yep, thas where i got the idea. The backend uses usernames as keys, so they can't change them anymore.

Adding a 'display name' field to the UI database would not affect that at all. It would just be another field, like my location "Hermosa Beach", with my chosen name.

In the backend, hidden, the true 'username' would be used.

Edited by benh57

I agree. My user name is attached to my husband's user name. Having both come from former divorces, I can certainly see when someone may NEED to change their user name... and some of the folks on geocaching.com have literally THOUSANDS of finds... that's a lot of re-logs...

Can't relog TBs in any case, as it would screw up the distances and leave them in the wrong place (supposing you'd kept the codes of course...)

Bambi.

If the biggest problem in your divorce is worrying about re-logging travel bug mileage on your new individual geocaching account, this tells me that either (1) you ought to have been able to work out your marital issues, or (2) your geocaching obsession likely contributed to the divorce.

:(

Just trying to point out that you couldn't do this before someone tried!

B.

-B

Ok this may be totally wrong... but if (I said IF!) TPTB were going to have a permanent identifier and a one that could be changed. Wouldn't be it be better for permanent one to use something like the user profile ID number (or some computer assigned number) instead of letting people come up with something and trying to track that?

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=158159

I'm still wondering what this application is that is so critical as to remove a feature of this site.

Maybe it has something to do with a new secret game?

nope, the new secret game has nothing/very little to do with Geocaching. Just another thing that Groundspeak is developing. But it was really cool to see. :laughing:

How many secret games are there? :laughing:

If the biggest problem in your divorce is worrying about re-logging travel bug mileage on your new individual geocaching account, this tells me that either (1) you ought to have been able to work out your marital issues, or (2) your geocaching obsession likely contributed to the divorce.

Baawaahahahahaha :D