Improve cache listing with photograph

freejam

Whenever I list my caches I always include a photgraph - this provides people with a good idea of what will be found and I feel it whets the appetite and encourages extra visits.

As long as you don't use the photograph as the hint, or otherwise require it to reasonably locate the cache, that's fine. Just remember that people who go paperless won't see your photo.

Edited by fizzymagic

I love seeing photos on cache pages, as long as it doesn't make the cache page incomprehensible (yours don't). Assuming they're actually photos of something pretty or appealing, they will make me more apt to go find the cache.

I agree with The Fizz that unless it's a multi or a mystery cache, photos shouldn't be integral to finding the cache. Few things are as frustrating as pulling up Cachemate after floundering at a cache, only to find a hint like "Three feet from the object photographed."

I'm glad somebody posted this. I was just talking to a friend today about posting a topic like this one.

I love to see pictures on cache pages. I recently did a fairly old cache. It was a great hike and a good hide and my three pictures are the only ones in the gallery.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that appreciates seeing other people log their photos. To those of you who do, THANKS!

Bret

Whenever I list my caches I always include a photgraph - this provides people with a good idea of what will be found and I feel it whets the appetite and encourages extra visits.

Example is my Pyramid of Giza cache (19th Century version :tired:) - on this occasion I used a photograph posted by a cacher.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...1e-b28411d4ad18

I include either a photo or a bit of clip art that goes with the theme or nature of the cache.

Your example is pretty nifty. I didn't realize the Egytians traveled so far North :laughing: .

You may want to throw in a vspace and an hspace in your img tag so your text doesn't butt right up tot hte photo, though ( vspace=5 hspace=5 are good values).

That's a good idea. I like caches with pics in the description.

Incidently, if you use Sunrise Desktop with Plucker, you'll get these pics on your pda.

How do I feed a pocket query to Sunrise?
The same as you would with Plucker's desktop application. I use GPX Spinner for this. Some use GSAK. Edited by sbell111

The same as you would with Plucker's desktop application. I use GPX Spinner for this. Some use GSAK.

Thanks. I'm still trying to settle on how my paperless caching is going to work. Currently I use GPX Spinner, but only to massage the .gpx file, not to create the HTML pages. I use CacheMate to look at listings. I assumed that Spinner's generated HTML would also have stripped out the images, but I will check again.

What would be nice would be the ability to look at cache galleries :) Sometimes users post pics with helpful clues, like posing with the cache container so I can see what I'm looking for if I get stuck.