Found a cache that's not listed?

Jerolyn

Hmm, not exactly sure where to start with this.

On Friday of this long weekend, we were out hiking. We did not have our GPS with us, just walking some of the local trails. Saw a hole in a cliff face, and my 'cache radar' went off. I said to my hubby, "hey that would be a great place to hide a cache." and it was. There was already a cache in there, so we had a good laugh, signed the log (3rd to sign) and moved on. But when I went to find the cache online, to log my find...it is nowhere to be found. I've searched by the cache name, by area, I dont know what to do.

Is this a common problem for new caches?

Thanx to all who can help a newbie

Jerolyn (9 finds if I count the one I can't log online)

Maybe it wasn't even a geacache. Maybe it was a letterbox. Not sure, but I think letterboxing predates geocaching by a few years, and letterboxers don't use a GPS.

I believe letterboxing predates geocaching by more than few years. Somewhere around 150-200 years I believe. Although I guess that is a "few" in the grand scheme of things.

It was most likely either a letterbox or a terracache (I don't believe it's against the rules to mention the name). Of course it could have been a geocache that just hasn't been listed yet, and the first 2 logs were from people who were with the hider when it was hidden (which is generally considered bad form).

I have found numerous letterboxes while searching for geocaches. It appears both groups of people find the same places interesting (although I have never found a letterbox at the local Walmart, so apparently they don't find those as interesting as we do).

Something similiar happened. I spotted a place and said, "That'd be great for a cache." and while I'm eyeing trees for a place to disguise a micro, I stumble over an ammo box. It had Geocaching.com stickers all over it but when I opened it, it was from the county's visitor's bureau and had a bunch of gift certificates from local businesses in there, plus magnets and other tourism-ish trinkets. It explained that it was just for promotional purposes. It wasn't listed on gc.com, but was on the Visitor's Bureau website. I remember being more irritated than anything because my son was with me and we were there to find a real cache (that had been muggled) and he wanted to trade.

- HauntHunters

And yeah, I've kind of had that experience. Kind of. I went to a boat launch, a bit aways from my home, but I was looking for places for a new cache; and I looked all around this small little park area with the boat launch, and decided the only reasonable spot for a cache was "there". So, I reached into "there" to make sure it was going to work, and (she reached in her thumb and pulled out a plum..) came up with a geocache.

Assuming it was actually a geocache, one thing that hasn't been mentioned....maybe it was the end stage of a multicache or even a puzzle cache (which would make it harder to track down which one it was, since the posted coordinates could be miles away).

Since there were only 2 logs in the book, you could try:

a. Looking to see if there are any new multis or puzzles in the area.

b. Assuming they logged it online, you could look up their usernames and see which caches they logged that day.

EDIT: Didn't know you had the name, but just noticed you mentioned that you searched by name, so it's probably not a geocache. That's assuming of course that they didn't change the name or something. What's the name? Maybe we could help find what it was.

Edited by ThePropers

Well, I'm pretty sure it was a geocache. It had a green geocache card in it with geocaching info on it, and in the lid was written "Final key: 4 8" and the name "Grand River Trolls: Stumped in Elora". A new cache was just posted in the area, but not in the exact location, and under a different name...same series. "Grand RiverTrolls: Ruins"

Thanks to all who posted with info.

Jerolyn