Servers fall down go BOOM?

Cache Liberation Front

I've been trying to edit a new cache listing for a few mins now, and keep getting:

Server Error in '/' Application.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
  Geocaching.UI.hide_report.Page_UserLoggedIn(Object sender, EventArgs e) +298
  Geocaching.UI.WebformBase.IsLoggedIn() +1083
  Geocaching.UI.hide_report.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +490
  System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67
  System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35
  System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +750

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300 

Is it just me?

Best,

Mr. W.

I can't log into geocaching.com...I keep getting:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exception of type System.OutOfMemoryException was thrown.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type System.OutOfMemoryException was thrown.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type System.OutOfMemoryException was thrown.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300

I'm surprised to see no comment from Groundspeak staff on this matter here or on the main page.

I would imagine they are working on it and don't have time to comment. I would prefer that they fix it than come here and say "Yep, it isn't working". There is no sense in putting a message on the main page... if no one can get to it anyway.

Seems to be up and down a little - hopefully nothing serious.....

I just checked a link that I posted to my ODS: PRIME! profile and it logged me in as a user from Germany called Crocolina Dundee and showed me their user page including caches awaiting review.... :P

Not good!

Edited by Snoogans
I'm surprised to see no comment from Groundspeak staff on this matter here or on the main page.

I would imagine they are working on it and don't have time to comment. I would prefer that they fix it than come here and say "Yep, it isn't working". There is no sense in putting a message on the main page... if no one can get to it anyway.

It wouldn't take too long to notice the top thread on forum and post a short note to inform us they are "workin' on it", maybe even giving an estimate on time it takes. Now this thread grows and grows as everyone yells their Me Too!!!s.

It wouldn't take too long to notice the top thread on forum and post a short note to inform us they are "workin' on it", maybe even giving an estimate on time it takes. Now this thread grows and grows as everyone yells their Me Too!!!s.

It would if they're working on the site.

It reminds when I was an operator waay back at a very small Long Distance company. I would sit at a supervisor position that if that phone rang it meant that all of the operators were on a call and we likely had customers in queue. (A thing we tried to avoid)

Our new Sr manager got it in his head that whenever I got a call I should log off and place test calls to see how long I was in queue. Of course that meant one fewer op taking calls and one more call getting in the way of real calls.

My Supervisor called me into her office and noted that whenever we started queuing I would log off the supervisor phone.

"Yes, Mister X instructed me to do it."

"Oh,.... ok"

That practice didn't last long.

It reminds when I was an operator waay back at a very small Long Distance company. I would sit at a supervisor position that if that phone rang it meant that all of the operators were on a call and we likely had customers in queue. (A thing we tried to avoid)

Our new Sr manager got it in his head that whenever I got a call I should log off and place test calls to see how long I was in queue. Of course that meant one fewer op taking calls and one more call getting in the way of real calls.

My Supervisor called me into her office and noted that whenever we started queuing I would log off the supervisor phone.

"Yes, Mister X instructed me to do it."

"Oh,.... ok"

That practice didn't last long.

I think it's working again. Maybe I won't screw it up again when I start finishing up-loading the last of my Vacation pics... :P

I got in with the browser on another machine about 2 hours ago, but now I get our old friend:

Exception Details: System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type System.OutOfMemoryException was thrown.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type System.OutOfMemoryException was thrown.]

Then following a log email link I got:

Server Application Unavailable

The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

A forced reload on that got me a generic cache page with:

An Error Has Occured

Then it went back to the previous error. THis is with Firefox (latest) on MacOS. I just tried Firefox on my XP machine and the site loads. I'll trying logging out and such with the Mac and see if it helps. Sigh.

The site has been slow and having issues on-and-off for several days now.

I got in with the browser on another machine about 2 hours ago, but now I get our old friend:

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

Then following a log email link I got:

Server Application Unavailable

The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

A forced reload on that got me a generic cache page with:

An Error Has Occured

Then it went back to the previous error. THis is with Firefox (latest) on MacOS. I just tried Firefox on my XP machine and the site loads. I'll trying logging out and such with the Mac and see if it helps. Sigh.

The site has been slow and having issues on-and-off for several days now.

Eh, it's been up and down this eve. I think next time I'll just post a few pictures at a time instead of all 60 of them one after another... :P

I can't get in at all with my Mac but I can with the XP machine. I tried clearing the three cookies I had from Groundspeak sites but that didn't help.

It wouldn't let me log into the forums with either machine for several minutes until just now, when both started working.

EDIT: Three minutes later and I'm in..... for now.

Edited by Nazgul

The increased traffic over Labor Day weekend is causing lots of havok on the servers. Because we store most caches in-memory to help with speed it can sometimes lock up the machines during extremely heavy traffic. Since the database is much improved I removed the in-memory storing of cache pages until the traffic settles. Hopefully this will alleviate the issues happening in the past day or so.