Rolling one's own maps for a Garmin 60x

GeoBobC

I developed an application to help people to make your own garmin maps.

check my application (MapSetToolKit)

http://www.box.net/index.php?rm=box_v2_dow...e_id=f_24996652

Application feature:

- Make a full Mapset for mapsource (TDB, Global img, reg, TYP)

- uninstall Mapset (Product and Families)

- Make a TDB file (Product and Families)

- Create a reg file for install your new Mapset in mapsource.

- Support custum Level and Zoom.

- Support TYP file (Next version can compile TYP file)

Cypherman

Cypherman:

Does your application eliminate the need to use GPSMapEdit and cGPSmapper? Do you still have to run the registry each time you create a new custom map? Can you give me more details on how the application works. I've been waiting for someone to come up with one program that will do the entire process of making transparent custom maps that are compatible with Mapsource. Any additional info. will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ed

Yes and no. You make your own maps with GPSmapedit, after your take my application to generate TDB file, reg file (to add mapset in mapsource) and global map. My application use cgpsmapper in background. With my application, any peaple, can make your own maps, because your don't learn to make a pv file and make REG file.

Plus, my application convert TDB files make with cgpsmapper (Product TDB) to Families TDB.

After this convert, you can use TYP file in mapsource or GPS.

In the next version of the application, I will add the compilation of TYP file.

a+

Cypherman

Cypherman

I tried your application...I got everything to work except the custom TYP does not work when map is uploaded to GPSr through Mapsource...it does modify my map in Mapsource but not when I upload to GPSr. To test the TYP and img file I loaded them directly to my GPSr with Sendmap20 and it modifies my map so I know the TYP works in my GPSr...now I need to figure out why it doesn't work whem uploaded through Mapsource. Can you help me figure out what's wrong?

Edited by rws

Application feature:

Cypherman

Cypherman:

Does your application eliminate the need to use GPSMapEdit and cGPSmapper? Do you still have to run the registry each time you create a new custom map? Can you give me more details on how the application works. I've been waiting for someone to come up with one program that will do the entire process of making transparent custom maps that are compatible with Mapsource. Any additional info. will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ed

Yes and no. You make your own maps with GPSmapedit, after your take my application to generate TDB file, reg file (to add mapset in mapsource) and global map. My application use cgpsmapper in background. With my application, any peaple, can make your own maps, because your don't learn to make a pv file and make REG file.

Plus, my application convert TDB files make with cgpsmapper (Product TDB) to Families TDB.

a+

Cypherman

Cypherman

I tried your application...I got everything to work except the custom TYP does not work when map is uploaded to GPSr through Mapsource...it does modify my map in Mapsource but not when I upload to GPSr. To test the TYP and img file I loaded them directly to my GPSr with Sendmap20 and it modifies my map so I know the TYP works in my GPSr...now I need to figure out why it doesn't work whem uploaded through Mapsource. Can you help me figure out what's wrong?

Hi rws!

Mapsource don't tranfert TYP file in GPS. Use sendmap20.exe to tranfert your maps and TYP files in your GPs.

Next week, a new version will be available. (More validation, show Product code and ID for each mapset, compile TYP file)

Application feature:

Cypherman

Cypherman:

Ed

a+

Cypherman

Cypherman

Hi rws!

Mapsource don't tranfert TYP file in GPS. Use sendmap20.exe to tranfert your maps and TYP files in your GPs.

Next week, a new version will be available. (More validation, show Product code and ID for each mapset, compile TYP file)

Cypherman

I was hoping TYP would upload to GPSr through Mapsource. I got the impression it would by your previous statement:

"Plus, my application convert TDB files make with cgpsmapper (Product TDB) to Families TDB.

After this convert, you can use TYP file in mapsource or GPS."

I'm wondering what is the point of having a TYP modified map in Mapsource when it can't be uploaded to a GPSr through Mapsource?

Application feature:

Cypherman

Cypherman:

Ed

a+

Cypherman

Cypherman

Hi rws!

Cypherman

I was hoping TYP would upload to GPSr through Mapsource. I got the impression it would by your previous statement:

"Plus, my application convert TDB files make with cgpsmapper (Product TDB) to Families TDB.

After this convert, you can use TYP file in mapsource or GPS."

I'm wondering what is the point of having a TYP modified map in Mapsource when it can't be uploaded to a GPSr through Mapsource?

I was badly explained then.

I agree with you, but it only way that I found to send a TYP file in the GPS is with sendmail20.exe. One day surely that mapsource will allow it I hope it.

When your custom trail maps are created, can you assign a color to the polylines created?

i.e. Red line for the red trail?

When I put the cursor over the custom trail, will I be able to set the label to say "Red trail"?

Say I do part of the red trail today and another part tomorrow. Will I be able to combine the tracks into a single file?

Does each trail need to be in it's own map or can I have a complete trail map for a given park?

Thanx

Hey all.

I want to say a big thankyou to everyone who contributed to this post. As I've mentioned in other posts, I was very dissapointed to see my new expensive 60CSX with data card could only store 20 tracks. I've tried this track to transparent map thing, and though it took 6 hours, it worked amazingly. I have yet to try changing the trails to different colours, but for now I'm happy.

Thanks!

Here is a real basic example of using TYP. The polyline shown in the screenshot was defined in GPSMapEdit as a 0x0016 Walkway/trail which normally would show up as a fairly thin dashed green line...but using a custom TYP file you can edit it to whatever you want...in my example a thick yellow line with a thinner red border. With TYP you can assign colors and line/border thickness. You can also edit points and polygons. The vertical black line to the right is a state highway from the 276c's basemap.

Screenshot from a 276c

typ.jpg

Edited by rws