Rolling one's own maps for a Garmin 60x

GeoBobC

I believe that I used two levels: the first at 20 bits, and the second at 17 bits. When I first "added" the GDB file, it appeared to have all the detail. Next, I converted the lines to polyline: track/trail. I "saved as" a .mp file, then File > Export > Garmin IMG/cgspmapper which runs cgpsmapper.

I also wondered if levels where the issue, but I thought that only controlled at which zoom levels the tracks appear.

OK, that is your problem. The Mapsource levels have a minimum grid size. When cGPSMapper makes the IMG file, it "generalizes" to fit the grid.

Open the IMG file in GPSMAPedit and you should see.

20 bits is a 38 meter grid.

17 bits is a 305 meter grid.

As stated above you want:

level0=23 (4.8 meter grid)

level1=21

level2=19

Put all the tracks in Level 0. If you want to see them at a higher zoom level, the use GPSMapedit to "extend all elements to level 1". This creates a rougher version for level 1 and a finer for level 0.

I assume they are already in Level 0??? Just change the defintion of level zero and re-compile the IMG file.

When you make a polyline or point, it is placed in the level you are viewing at (as shown in the bottom bar of GPSMApedit). To change levels of an object view the object and right click and use the "extend all elements to level" command. The normal method is to insert all object into level zero and then extend them up to higher levels if desired.

Teh cGPSMapper help file explains most of this.

http://cgpsmapper.com/download/test_img.mp.txt

;Level0 = (required) grid size for each layer. Layer 0 is the most detailed one.

; grid value is used to calculate level grid in layer - in degree value

; the standard value for the most detailed level is 22.

; To choose the best grid values you can use the following table :

;

; NOTE: Grid value also defines visibility in GPS!

;

; Grid Degree Grid Approximate max detail level Visibility for normal settings in GPS

; 24 2.14576721191406E-05 1.5m 0m - 120m

; 23 4.29153442382812E-05 3m 200m - 300m

; 22 8.58306884765625E-05 6m 500m

; 21 0.000171661376953125 12m 800 - 1.2km

; 20 0.00034332275390625 25m 2km

; 19 0.0006866455078125 50m 3km

; 18 0.001373291015625 100m 5 - 8km

; 17 0.00274658203125 200m 12km

; 16 0.0054931640625 400m 20 - 30km

; 15 0.010986328125 800m ...

; 14 0.02197265625 1.6km

; 13 ... ...

; 12 ... ...

Help, please. Something I did with custom maps caused Mapsource to no longer work: it opens, and then closes immediately with no error messages. I deleted the registry entry for the newly created custom maps, but it did not resolve the problem.

I have multiple versions of Mapsource installed: City Navigator, Topo, City Select. It would be painfun to uninstall/reinstall but that's what I'm considering as a last resort.

Any suggestions?

I am running 6.11.3. I called Garmin today; they suggested re-installing 6.11.3, and then the Topo Basemap patch. If that doesn't work, they recommended a complete uninstall/reinstall of all the products. Ouch.

I don't know that I'm positive, but I can't see any registry entries that look out of place.

I did wonder if perhaps the mapset I was looking at in Mapsource (my custom map) was not valid, as Mapsource retains the settings from the last Mapsource session (Mapset, location, zoom, etc.). In other words, it opens, looks for a mapset that doesn't exist, and then exits.

I checked the Local User registry and noted it was pointing at my topo mapset, so I don't think that's the problem.

I have a map, which I was able to export to an .img file. I loaded it to the GPS via sendmap. It worked on the gps. Now I want to compile it so I can use it in mapsource. When I run cgpsmapper, it gives the following error message: Error E032: Layer 0 of the map cannot be empty.

I opened the .img file in gpsmapedit and there is my map in level zero.

I have the levels set as follows

Level 0 = 23

Level 1 = 21

Level 2 = 19

The following is the test_pv.txt file I created.

[Map]

FileName=Minto

MapVersion=102

ProductCode=111

Color=32

Levels=2

Level0=21

Level1=17

Zoom0=5

Zoom1=6

MapsourceName=Minto

MapSetName=Minto

CDSetName=Minto

Copy1=Garmin

Copy2=Murray

[End-Map]

[Files]

img=00000123.img

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks

I remember getting an error something like that when I was first trying to figure this stuff out. I had the wrong version of cGPSmapper.

I have a map, which I was able to export to an .img file. I loaded it to the GPS via sendmap. It worked on the gps. Now I want to compile it so I can use it in mapsource. When I run cgpsmapper, it gives the following error message: Error E032: Layer 0 of the map cannot be empty.

I opened the .img file in gpsmapedit and there is my map in level zero.

I have the levels set as follows

Level 0 = 23

Level 1 = 21

Level 2 = 19

The following is the test_pv.txt file I created.

[Map]

FileName=Minto

MapVersion=102

ProductCode=111

Color=32

Levels=2

Level0=21

Level1=17

Zoom0=5

Zoom1=6

MapsourceName=Minto

MapSetName=Minto

CDSetName=Minto

Copy1=Garmin

Copy2=Murray

[End-Map]

[Files]

img=00000123.img

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks

Are you running cGPSmapper with the "pv" argument?

cgpsmapper pv test_pv.txt

Do you have [END-Files] after the last map?

Make sure the IMG file is in the same directory.

I didn't have [END-Files] put that in and off it went. Thanks Red90. Of course now it is time start playing with the registery.

I'm back from the loss of Mapsource. Odd, but the Topo patch fixed the problem (Mapsource would open and then immediately close, just after I altered the registry for custom maps). In case you're interested, check this link: http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Look on the right side for the patch. Never had the problem before, and I don't see how anything I did with custom maps should have affected it, but the patch fixed the problem. Go figure.

Now, back to the business of making custom maps. I'm a bit reluctant to put my toes back in the water after the temporary loss of Mapsource. I left off at the point of being able to create a map, and view the mapset in Mapsource. However, my problem was keeping all the trail details when going from GDB > MP > IMG. It looks as if the MP file has all the detail and is about 10x the size of the IMG file. Thus I suspect it is likely to be a setting in the cgspmapper Map Setting that is causing the problem. Levels, perhaps.

Is there a way I could email a . GDB/.gpx/.mp file to someone and see if they could get it to work (i.e. retain all the details of the original)? Would it be safe for me to post my email address in here and ask for a volunteer, or is there a common FTP site I could put a file at?

I'm back from the loss of Mapsource. Odd, but the Topo patch fixed the problem (Mapsource would open and then immediately close, just after I altered the registry for custom maps). In case you're interested, check this link: http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Look on the right side for the patch. Never had the problem before, and I don't see how anything I did with custom maps should have affected it, but the patch fixed the problem. Go figure.

Now, back to the business of making custom maps. I'm a bit reluctant to put my toes back in the water after the temporary loss of Mapsource. I left off at the point of being able to create a map, and view the mapset in Mapsource. However, my problem was keeping all the trail details when going from GDB > MP > IMG. It looks as if the MP file has all the detail and is about 10x the size of the IMG file. Thus I suspect it is likely to be a setting in the cgspmapper Map Setting that is causing the problem. Levels, perhaps.

Is there a way I could email a . GDB/.gpx/.mp file to someone and see if they could get it to work (i.e. retain all the details of the original)? Would it be safe for me to post my email address in here and ask for a volunteer, or is there a common FTP site I could put a file at?

You can email your gpx file and your mp file and I will take a look at it when I get home. I will get home at about 5:30 or so and can look at it then. If someone else can do it before then, that is fine.

Also your IMG file is always smaller. I was surprised how much smaller it usually is. I would say that your levels are probably your problem. If you send me your stuff I can look at it, and also make a track file from your info and send it back to you so you can look at it.

Edited by Bus36

When using an original Garmin img file and converting to an mp file and "adding" the gdb file, before converting a polyline or point from the attached gdb file, I compare the feature I want to convert to similar features in the file, and when converting the feature, I use the same association and levels. This saves from from doing anything to the file itself other than adding tracks and points to the proper levels. Does this help?

Update: I got assistance from a fellow geocacher here. His versions of my trails work GREAT! I need to review the steps to become comfortable, and then I will try to publish my instructions to see if they help anyone else.

I think the key is getting the Levels set up correctly, and I'm still not sure how to do that.

The concept of reusing a file seems like a good idea. If I have one file that works, it would be nice to simply add in the new tracks (and delete the unwanted?) and go from there.

Garmin 24K has 4 levels:

Level0= 24 7.8ft 120m Zoom0=0 (under 1.2K)

Level1= 22 31ft 500m Zoom1=1 (1.2-3 km)

Level2= 20 125fr 2km Zoom2=2 (3-8 km)

Level3= 19 250ft 3km Zoom3=3 (8-12km)

(last level is empty)

Garmin USTopo has 4 levels:

level0= 22 Zoom0=0 (under 1.2K)

level1= 20 Zoom1=1 (1.2-3 km)

level2= 18 Zoom2=2 (3-8 km)

level3= 17 Zoom3=3 (8-12km)

(last level is empty)

I am wanting to create custom maps for a 60CSx using tracks and waypoints that I already have in Mapsource. I also want to be able to view these on top of Mapsource U.S. Topo, which I already have. I have looked at the instructions in http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm and have read most of the threads pertaining to the procedure but it seems that most threads over simplify the instructions. My question is 2 fold: (1) are the instructions in http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm the best route for me to go inorder to do what I'm wanting to do and (2) the insturctions don't say anything about needing to download and install IDL 6.3 Virtual Machine for Windows XP (I am using XP). When I read the detailed instructions for DEMO2TOPO it says that you must first install IDL 6.3 Virtual Machine inorder to open DEMO2TOPO. I have downloaded DEMO2TOPO and it appears all files are there but it will not run. So I wanted to verify that this also must be done.

If anyone would be kind enough to share an eaiser method with step by step instructions I would very much appreciate it. Thanks.

Ed

I am wanting to create custom maps for a 60CSx using tracks and waypoints that I already have in Mapsource. I also want to be able to view these on top of Mapsource U.S. Topo, which I already have. I have looked at the instructions in http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm and have read most of the threads pertaining to the procedure but it seems that most threads over simplify the instructions. My question is 2 fold: (1) are the instructions in http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm the best route for me to go inorder to do what I'm wanting to do and (2) the insturctions don't say anything about needing to download and install IDL 6.3 Virtual Machine for Windows XP (I am using XP). When I read the detailed instructions for DEMO2TOPO it says that you must first install IDL 6.3 Virtual Machine inorder to open DEMO2TOPO. I have downloaded DEMO2TOPO and it appears all files are there but it will not run. So I wanted to verify that this also must be done.

If anyone would be kind enough to share an eaiser method with step by step instructions I would very much appreciate it. Thanks.

Ed

Do you want to create custom topo maps or simply maps using your tracks and waypoints? If I know which on then I can help you out.

Ed

Do you want to create custom topo maps or simply maps using your tracks and waypoints? If I know which on then I can help you out.

I am just wanting to create a custom map using my exisiting tracks and waypoints that I already have in Mapsource but I want to be able to overlay this new map with my tracks and waypoints onto Mapsources U.S. Topo. So I'll be uploading a lot of maps to my 60CSx (with 1 Gig card) in addition to my custom map.

Thanks for you help Bus36.

Ed

Bus36

I may not have answeared you question very clerly. From what I understand about custom maps to create custom TOPO maps is somewhat involved (not what I'm want to do); so if I understand correctly how they can be configured all I want to do is create a simple map (with my tracks and waypoints already in Mapsource) making it transparent so my U.S. Topo map will still let me see all the map data from the U.S. Topo map on the GPSr and also my custom map at the same time.

Ed

Bus36

I may not have answeared you question very clerly. From what I understand about custom maps to create custom TOPO maps is somewhat involved (not what I'm want to do); so if I understand correctly how they can be configured all I want to do is create a simple map (with my tracks and waypoints already in Mapsource) making it transparent so my U.S. Topo map will still let me see all the map data from the U.S. Topo map on the GPSr and also my custom map at the same time.

Ed

I see. I am at work now but I will post walkthrough of how to create a custom transparent map of your tracks when I get home. It is pretty straight forward and I think others would like to do it too so I will try and post something we can all use.

When your custom trail maps are created, can you assign a color to the polylines created?

i.e. Red line for the red trail?

When I put the cursor over the custom trail, will I be able to set the label to say "Red trail"?

Say I do part of the red trail today and another part tomorrow. Will I be able to combine the tracks into a single file?

Does each trail need to be in it's own map or can I have a complete trail map for a given park?

Thanx

When your custom trail maps are created, can you assign a color to the polylines created?

i.e. Red line for the red trail?

When I put the cursor over the custom trail, will I be able to set the label to say "Red trail"?

Say I do part of the red trail today and another part tomorrow. Will I be able to combine the tracks into a single file?

Does each trail need to be in it's own map or can I have a complete trail map for a given park?

Thanx

You can NOT assign different colour, only road types such as walkway, road, highway. These all show up differently on the units.

Yes, you can assign labels.

Yes, you can combine the trails into one.

You can add as many trails as you want to a map.

Edited by Red90

Here is a quick guide for making transparant maps of your trails. I used the website http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm for the know how and just modified a few steps. Hopefully GeoBobC adds anything that I miss:

1. Convert your tracks to gpx file

2. Open gpsmapedit program then click file open and choose your gpx file

3. Click on file then map properties and do the following:

A. change type set to Garmin

B. give the map an 8 digit ID number

C. give the map a name

D. click on the levels tab and hit the insert before tab do this until you have level0= through level5=

E. Change the settings to look like this

Level0=24 bits mapsource zoom=under1.2km

Level1=23 bits mapsource zoom=1.2-3km

Level2=22 bits mapsource zoom=3-8km

Level3=20 bits mapsource zoom=8-12km

Level4=19 bits mapsource zoom=12-30km

Level5=18 bits mapsource zoom=50-120km

4. Hit ok which takes you back to your tracks

5. Click on edit, select all tracks

6. Right click on your tracks and select convert to polylines, this will bring up a level box

7. Select levels 0,1,2 boxes and hit ok

8. The type box will come up select walkway/trails then ok(you can change this to anything you want to have them come up on the gps different. GeoBobC selects International Boundary and says it looks good on his gps)

9. Next click on view, then levels and select level 4. You will see your track NOT your converted track more on this later

10. Right click on the track and hit detach file.(This gets rid of your track file but keeps the converted file that you already did. If you want to see your file click on view, then levels and select level 0)

11. Click on view, then levels and select level 4, Click on the wand tab(create object) and select point

12. Click on your map and create a settlement(less 100) and click ok

13. Click on file, mapproperties and select the cGPSMapper Tab

14. Check the Map is transparent box, then hit apply

15. Click on file save map as and save your file

16. Click on file export GarminIMG/cgpsmapper.exe(this has to be download prior so look at the website I provided), name your file and save it, then search for the cgpsmapper.exe file that you saved earlier and click on run.

17. Next find your newly created IMG file and change the name to the 8 digit number that you gave the map in 3B

18. Then you can send the image to your gps or mapsource. Look at http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm for setting up mapsource or using another source since it describes it better than I can.

Good luck and let me know of any questions or if you have a better way or modifications let me know. Also feel free to share your maps at http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/

Okay, I have been able to create a map and can load it by itself to my 60CSx but have not ben able to combine it with other maps.

Instruction #4 In "Uploading your custom map using MapSource." say to "Copy test_pv.txt (found in the Test_Map folder of cGPSmapper) to your custom folder" I can't seem to find that file, I'm not even able to find the Test_Map folder.

Is there somplace else I can get teh test_pv.txt file?

Thanks

Thanks Bus36 for posting the above instructions. I have a couple of questions pertaining to the instructions, if anyone can help me; I would appreciate it.

I have created the .img file in GPSMapEdit with 2 Routes converted to Polylines saved as Internationl Boundary Lines, 16 Tracks converted to Polylines as Trails/Walkways, and 94 Waypoints converted to "Points" with custom Icon Symbols and text names/"Type" and "Labels". Somewhere in the process of creating the Text Labels for the Waypoints/Points the Color of the font was changed from black to brown on only 6 of the 94 Points; I've tried everything I can find to try to get the font color back to black and nothing seems to have any affect. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

When I opened GPSMapEdit it changed all of my Mapsource file name icons (.gdb files) that I have saved in "My Documents" from their generic Mapsource icons to the GPSMapEdit waypoint symbol (looks like a golf pin flag), is the normal? If it isn't how do I change them back to the generic Mapsource icon?

On Step 15 of Bus36's instructions it says to Click on file "save map as" and save your file. My question is really wanting to verify that the default of save map as "type Polish Format" is how it is supposed to be saved?

It appears that my map is correct so far as best I can tell up to Step 18 where I am stumped. I want to be able to load my custom map with other Mapsource Maps so I proceeded to the http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm instructions for "Uploading Your Custom Map Using Mapsource". I've completed steps 2 and 3 (created folder named "Custom" under the Garmin folder and copied my custom map to it and copied cgpsmapper.exe to that "Custom" folder also. Now here is where I must be missing something; when I copy "test_pv.txt" to the "Custom" folder I created and then open Notepad to edit "test_pv.txt" like step 4 says to "make it look something like this" (as displayed on instructions). My "test_pv.txt" file doesn't remotely resemble anything like what the instructions show before editing. It is 3-4 continuos/unbroken lines of chararcters and text. What am I doing wrong and is there an easier way to accomplish this without have to do all of this editing and changes in the registry? All help will be appreciated, Thank You.

Ed

Thanks Bus36 for posting the above instructions. I have a couple of questions pertaining to the instructions, if anyone can help me; I would appreciate it.

I have created the .img file in GPSMapEdit with 2 Routes converted to Polylines saved as Internationl Boundary Lines, 16 Tracks converted to Polylines as Trails/Walkways, and 94 Waypoints converted to "Points" with custom Icon Symbols and text names/"Type" and "Labels". Somewhere in the process of creating the Text Labels for the Waypoints/Points the Color of the font was changed from black to brown on only 6 of the 94 Points; I've tried everything I can find to try to get the font color back to black and nothing seems to have any affect. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

When I opened GPSMapEdit it changed all of my Mapsource file name icons (.gdb files) that I have saved in "My Documents" from their generic Mapsource icons to the GPSMapEdit waypoint symbol (looks like a golf pin flag), is the normal? If it isn't how do I change them back to the generic Mapsource icon?

On Step 15 of Bus36's instructions it says to Click on file "save map as" and save your file. My question is really wanting to verify that the default of save map as "type Polish Format" is how it is supposed to be saved?

It appears that my map is correct so far as best I can tell up to Step 18 where I am stumped. I want to be able to load my custom map with other Mapsource Maps so I proceeded to the http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm instructions for "Uploading Your Custom Map Using Mapsource". I've completed steps 2 and 3 (created folder named "Custom" under the Garmin folder and copied my custom map to it and copied cgpsmapper.exe to that "Custom" folder also. Now here is where I must be missing something; when I copy "test_pv.txt" to the "Custom" folder I created and then open Notepad to edit "test_pv.txt" like step 4 says to "make it look something like this" (as displayed on instructions). My "test_pv.txt" file doesn't remotely resemble anything like what the instructions show before editing. It is 3-4 continuos/unbroken lines of chararcters and text. What am I doing wrong and is there an easier way to accomplish this without have to do all of this editing and changes in the registry? All help will be appreciated, Thank You.

Ed

I am not sure about the color label issue. Are the waypoints labeled before you import them into gpsmapedit or maybe you label them afterwards causing the color to change. Other than that no ideas here.

As for the flag icons I haven't found a way to get it back I am just used to it now.

Yes you will save it as Polish format .mp

As for your test_pv.txt if you want to send it to my email address I can look at it and see if it looks good and offer suggestions. I am at work or I could send you a template of mine when I get home if I get . Hopefully you can get this to work you are almost there.

Edited by Bus36

Now here is where I must be missing something; when I copy "test_pv.txt" to the "Custom" folder I created and then open Notepad to edit "test_pv.txt" like step 4 says to "make it look something like this" (as displayed on instructions). My "test_pv.txt" file doesn't remotely resemble anything like what the instructions show before editing. It is 3-4 continuos/unbroken lines of chararcters and text. What am I doing wrong and is there an easier way to accomplish this without have to do all of this editing and changes in the registry? All help will be appreciated, Thank You.

Ed

I was able to find the "test_pv.txt" file, I just had to drill down deep enough to get to the right folder.

When I opened the file I got the same results as eaparks but then on a whim I copied and pasted into Word & WordPad and in both the file then comes out looking like what is shown in the example.

When I opened the file I got the same results as eaparks but then on a whim I copied and pasted into Word & WordPad and in both the file then comes out looking like what is shown in the example.

Thanks Bus36 and Landrover. I have already done a couple of maps and uploaded them to the 60CSx using Sendmap. Now I just want to be able to send multiple maps using Mapsource. I'll try what you found Landrover and try editing it in Wordpad.

I first used the walkway/trail as the "type" for the tracks polylines and found it to be very small and faint (hard to see on the 60CSx). I took GeoBob's suggestion of using "International Boundary" for the polyline of a property boundary line and it comes out very visible and easy to see (a light purple color). I used "primary road" as the identifier for the tracks and it shows up on the GPSr as a light brown (easy to see, also), but I did have to change the level that it showed up in from 0 to 2 so I could see it in the 0.3 mile scale on the GPSr (a lot better).

Ed

I believe there are multiple ways to get multiple maps to the GPS. One method is to "File > Add" multiple tracks and points to a single mapedit session, and save it as one .mp file, and then in turn run cgpsmapper to create a single .img file. All the tracks would then appear in one mapset in Mapsource. A second method is to create multiple .img files and have each one listed in the test_pv.txt file. A third method is to create multiple mapsets. I haven't tried that yet, as I believe that it's necessary to create multiple registry entries: one for each mapset. In that method, you would see each mapset listed separately in Mapsource.

I have already done a couple of maps and uploaded them to the 60CSx using Sendmap. Now I just want to be able to send multiple maps using Mapsource.

I did the same thig and was able to see the map I made. I thought that maybe I could pull the map file I already had on my gps opnto my computer and then add my custom map to that using Sendmap. All seamed to work okay but when I sent it to my GPS the map file showed up on my memory card but would not display any of the maps.

I've been busy creating custom maps. I have created 4 diferent maps and al work by themsleves. The problem I have run across is that only 2 custom maps will show up at any one time. The maps in the map selection drop down menu show up alphabetically so only only A and B will show up. If I delete B from the registry C will show up. Is there a work around or something I can do to remove this limit?

Ed

When you initially select all your waypoints for conversion to a point in GPSMapEdit the next window asks you to select a type...click cancel...the icons you have assigned to your map in Mapsource (less icons in Marker,Contacts, Letter, Number and Custom...they will show up as a ? mark) will be used. You will see both GPSMapEdits "golf pin flag" and your Mapsource icon for each point...go to Edit...Select...All Waypoints...Delete. You now will have only your Mapsource icons showing.

Edited by rws

I've been busy creating custom maps. I have created 4 diferent maps and al work by themsleves. The problem I have run across is that only 2 custom maps will show up at any one time. The maps in the map selection drop down menu show up alphabetically so only only A and B will show up. If I delete B from the registry C will show up. Is there a work around or something I can do to remove this limit?

There is no limits on number of maps or map sets. I have around 10 mapset installed at the moment.

You will need to provide more detail of what you are doing, as it is not clear what is wrong. Are the 4 maps in the same map set? Are they separate map sets?

Ed

When you initially select all your waypoints for conversion to a point in GPSMapEdit the next window asks you to select a type...click cancel...the icons you have assigned to your map in Mapsource (less icons in Marker,Contacts, Letter, Number and Custom...they will show up as a ? mark) will be used. You will see both GPSMapEdits "golf pin flag" and your Mapsource icon for each point...go to Edit...Select...All Waypoints...Delete. You now will have only your Mapsource icons showing.

Tadpole

I appreciate your help. What you have explained is not what I was really asking in my original question above. I am referring only to "File Name Icons" not "Waypoint Name Icons" Before you ever install GPSMapEdit you see a list of Mapsource files with the Mapsource icon in front of your "FILE NAME". After you install and open GPSMapEdit you still see your original file name but the original Mapsource "File Name Icon" is replaced with the GPSMapEdit file name icon (which looks like the golf pin flag) in all of your Mapsource .gdb files. This isn't really a problem, since it doesn't have any affect on your maps. I was just wondering if there was a way to keep it from happening.

New Question

Does anyone have any experience using the "TYP" file for creating Custom Maps in GPSMapEdit? I have been told that by using the "TYP" method you can have a lot more verstility in using colors and graphics in defining tracks and waypoints. My understanding is that this would allow you to make your tracks whatever color you want them to be and also to be able to change the width and apperance of the track "type" line. If anyone has done this I would appreciate an explaination of how to do this using the "TYP" file method in GPSMapEdit. Thanks.

Ed

Tadpole

I appreciate your help. What you have explained is not what I was really asking in my original question above. I am referring only to "File Name Icons" not "Waypoint Name Icons" Before you ever install GPSMapEdit you see a list of Mapsource files with the Mapsource icon in front of your "FILE NAME". After you install and open GPSMapEdit you still see your original file name but the original Mapsource "File Name Icon" is replaced with the GPSMapEdit file name icon (which looks like the golf pin flag) in all of your Mapsource .gdb files. This isn't really a problem, since it doesn't have any affect on your maps. I was just wondering if there was a way to keep it from happening.

New Question

Does anyone have any experience using the "TYP" file for creating Custom Maps in GPSMapEdit? I have been told that by using the "TYP" method you can have a lot more verstility in using colors and graphics in defining tracks and waypoints. My understanding is that this would allow you to make your tracks whatever color you want them to be and also to be able to change the width and apperance of the track "type" line. If anyone has done this I would appreciate an explaination of how to do this using the "TYP" file method in GPSMapEdit. Thanks.

Change icon back to Mapsource:

Windows Explorer...Tools...Folder Options...File Types...scroll to and select GDB...

if Advaned button is not displayed click Restore...now click Advanced...Change Icon...

Browse to your Garmin dir where Mapsource.exe is located...highlight Mapsource.exe

and click OK...icon should be shown...click OK...click OK...click Change...select Mapsource app

make sure box is check marked to always use this program...click OK...click close.

TYP

info is in the latest cGPSMapper manual (version 2.1) starting on page 48

Edited by rws

Windows Explorer...Tools...Folder Options...File Types...scroll to and select GDB...

if Advaned button is not displayed click Restore...now click Advanced...Change Icon...

Browse to your Garmin dir where Mapsource.exe is located...highlight Mapsource.exe

and click OK...icon should be shown...click OK...click OK...click Change...select Mapsource app

make sure box is check marked to always use this program...click OK...click close.

TYP

rws:

Thanks for the clear and concise explanation for changing the icon back to Mapsource. Is the process for creating custom lines in the TYP file of cGPSMapper very involved? Before I start following the instructions in the cGPSMapper manual I just wanted to be sure I wasn't getting into something that isn't really worth the effort from a practical standpoint.

TYP

rws:

Thanks for the clear and concise explanation for changing the icon back to Mapsource. Is the process for creating custom lines in the TYP file of cGPSMapper very involved? Before I start following the instructions in the cGPSMapper manual I just wanted to be sure I wasn't getting into something that isn't really worth the effort from a practical standpoint.

I have used the custom types to change color and line width in my custom maps. So far I have got it to work when sending the typ and img file to the GPSr with SendMap and am working on how to get it to work in Mapsource.

Hey all.

I want to say a big thankyou to everyone who contributed to this post. As I've mentioned in other posts, I was very dissapointed to see my new expensive 60CSX with data card could only store 20 tracks. I've tried this track to transparent map thing, and though it took 6 hours, it worked amazingly. I have yet to try changing the trails to different colours, but for now I'm happy.

Thanks!

I developed an application to help people to make your own garmin maps.

check my application (MapSetToolKit)

http://www.box.net/index.php?rm=box_v2_dow...e_id=f_24996652

Application feature:

- Make a full Mapset for mapsource (TDB, Global img, reg, TYP)

- uninstall Mapset (Product and Families)

- Make a TDB file (Product and Families)

- Create a reg file for install your new Mapset in mapsource.

- Support custum Level and Zoom.

- Support TYP file (Next version can compile TYP file)

Cypherman

Application feature:

Cypherman

Cypherman:

Does your application eliminate the need to use GPSMapEdit and cGPSmapper? Do you still have to run the registry each time you create a new custom map? Can you give me more details on how the application works. I've been waiting for someone to come up with one program that will do the entire process of making transparent custom maps that are compatible with Mapsource. Any additional info. will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ed

Application feature:

Cypherman

Cypherman:

Does your application eliminate the need to use GPSMapEdit and cGPSmapper? Do you still have to run the registry each time you create a new custom map? Can you give me more details on how the application works. I've been waiting for someone to come up with one program that will do the entire process of making transparent custom maps that are compatible with Mapsource. Any additional info. will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ed

Yes and no. You make your own maps with GPSmapedit, after your take my application to generate TDB file, reg file (to add mapset in mapsource) and global map. My application use cgpsmapper in background. With my application, any peaple, can make your own maps, because your don't learn to make a pv file and make REG file.

Plus, my application convert TDB files make with cgpsmapper (Product TDB) to Families TDB.

After this convert, you can use TYP file in mapsource or GPS.

In the next version of the application, I will add the compilation of TYP file.

a+

Cypherman