Rolling one's own maps for a Garmin 60x

GeoBobC

I've read several posts about creating one's own maps for a Garmin. To date, I've been reluctant to jump in.

I'm reconsidering as I have a need to view multiple tracks (more than 20) on my unit. My question is this: would creating a simple custom map layer of "tracks only" be as challenging as creating a full blown map layer with topo information, etc?

The best post I've read is this one: http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm

Has anyone created a custom map with just tracks? Would this be a simplified process?

Do you curently have Garmin City Nav or Topo maps under Mapsource? If you do and you just want to display the multiple tracks, I would think you could set up the tracks on Mapsourse to look as you want and then download them to your GPSr to be displayed on whatever the appropraite pre loaded maps is. Does that work?

Nevermind. :-) I just saw your other posting and see that you are challenged by the number of tracks you want to display. The custom built map layer sounds like a better solution.

Edited by bgarland

Do you curently have Garmin City Nav or Topo maps under Mapsource? If you do and you just want to display the multiple tracks, I would think you could set up the tracks on Mapsourse to look as you want and then download them to your GPSr to be displayed on whatever the appropraite pre loaded maps is. Does that work?

Nevermind. :-) I just saw your other posting and see that you are challenges by the number of tracks you want to disply. The custom built map layer sounds like a better solution.

I just started to build some maps and tracks. I have to say that building topo maps is time consuming but if you wanted to just build some track maps it is a very easy and quick process. When I get home I can post a step by step on how I perform the task and it works pretty well especially since the track maps will be transparent and will show up both on the gps no matter what map programs you have loaded. I haven't perfected the process yet but I am satisfied with the end result.

If you have the tracks, it is a real simple process. It can be done in about 5 minutes or less. I have some like that posted at:

http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/

(It sure would be nice if others shared their maps)

Look under IL and MO. I have maps like that posted there.

All you have to do is save them all in a mapsource file

Open gpsmapedit,

set up the properties for levels, (download one of my trail files (MO Trail or Madison CO trail) to see how to set the levels, check map is transparent.

select add, add your mapsource file

Select them all with the select tool, right click on them and select convert to polyline. Then select walkway/trail as the type and make sure you select to only import them into level 0.

Then go to level one and add a point, save it and then export it. Then post it on http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/

I've read several posts about creating one's own maps for a Garmin. To date, I've been reluctant to jump in.

I'm reconsidering as I have a need to view multiple tracks (more than 20) on my unit. My question is this: would creating a simple custom map layer of "tracks only" be as challenging as creating a full blown map layer with topo information, etc?

Has anyone created a custom map with just tracks? Would this be a simplified process?

Ok, let me summarize what I am reading. I need: (1) tracks, (2) Mapsource software, (3) gpsmapedit software. Anything else?

Steps: (1) open Mapsource, (2) load track, (3) save as GDB file, (4) Open gpsmapedit, (5) set up the properties for levels, (6) check map is transparent, (7) select add to add the mapsource file, (8) select them all with the select tool, right click on them and select convert to polyline, (9) select walkway/trail as the type and make sure you select to only import them into level 0, (10) go to level one and add a point, (11) export it.

Questions: (10); what does "add a point" mean; (11) what format/to where do I export the file - do I export this directly to the GPS?

No there is still a little more to do....

Export to a Garmin IMG file from within GPSMapedit.

You then need to get it to the GPS. There are two main ways.

1) Create a "preview" file and such with cGPSMapper and register the map into Mapsource. Then upload as normal from Mapsource.

OR

2) Upload with IMG2GPS/Sendmap directly to the GPS including any other useful maps. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mdipol/img2gps/

Thanks Red90. Here is my updated list of required components: (1) track, (2) Mapsource software, (3) gpsmapedit software, (4) cGPSMapper software.

I like the preview option. Thanks.

I was just getting ready to post but others beat me to it. That is pretty much it. I like to use the preview option since this allows you to load you navigator, topo, and your newly made trails all to your gps. Let me know if you have any questions.

I like to use the preview option since this allows you to load you navigator, topo, and your newly made trails all to your gps. Let me know if you have any questions.

IMG2GPS also allows you to load different map sets at once. Save your list of maps in a GDB file. Open the GDB file in IMG2GPS and then add your home made map file. It will then easily load them all to the GPSr.

If you have the tracks, it is a real simple process. It can be done in about 5 minutes or less. I have some like that posted at:

Well, I am sure it would take you 5 minutes and me maybe 10 or 15, but be honest how much time you already spent creating custom maps. I have spent the better part of my spare time for the past month or so playing with (and deleting most of) various tools and crap toys, learning to read (and write) polish format and all that. And I am not coming from a user starting point, I am a software engineer and if something doesn't do what I want I just roll my own code, as long as I can figure out what I have and what's the desired input for the next step.

So with all due respect, please don't tell people of unknown knowledge level that it can be done in 5 minutes if there is more that a couple hours of learning curve ahead for them to actually understand what they are doing.

(It sure would be nice if others shared their maps)

I am getting closer to post my PA (and around) Topo maps. I started off with the 24K DLG SDTS files from USGS. As you know, the term "incomplete data" would be and understatement. So I tried to fill in at least the gaps in the hypsography data with DEM's from ATDI. Problem is how to get from an SDTS DEM to a .MP file?

Oh yeah, there are 3DEM and DEM2TOPO, which do a nice job except for the fact that 3DEM fills the missing pixels (due to the tilt in the quadrangle) with the minimum elevation of the DEM, causing DEM2TOPO to draw a really steep cliff at the edges of a quadrangle right in the middle of every mountain ... uncool.

So what I ended up doing is extracting the old format ASCII DEM from the SDTS with SDTS2DEM and converting that into a .MP file with my own, elevation contour tracking Tcl scripts (I know, it would all be much easier in Perl, but I am a Tcl guy - okay?) while converting the UTM/NAD27 coorinates to WGS84 with cs2cs in the background ... I am sure that my impatience will cause me to redo some of the stuff in C someday.

Where available the maps also contain the DLG's of the USGS hydrography files. Each of the maps contains one (sometimes half) of the rectangles you see if you select no map in Garmin MapSource. They pretty much line up with a 4x4 area of the USGS quadrangle grid, so each of my maps contains 16 quadrangles. The entire USGS 24K data set consists of over 56,000 quadrangles, so there are 3561 of these 16x16 segments for the entire US ... I've done 4 so far :tired:

The rest of the available USGS data (roads, railroads, trails, etc.) is canned into separate matching map segments. The Topo maps are transparent, while the road maps are not. This means that one can select either CitySelect or CustomRoads together with the transparent CustomTopo map set to have elevation contours drawn over the streets and everything. The reason for that is that CitySelect really su**s with respect to water bodies. According to them I can walk on water!

More soon ...

Jan

Here is a question regarding the two options for getting the maps to the unit: if I use the Mapsource/IMG2GPS "load multiple maps at once" option, then it becomes a very long task as I have most of the USA loaded, and all maps will all need to be reloaded at once. The last time I did this took over one hour. If I simply want to add or update one trail, then using the USB mass storage route of copying one img file to the GPS is quicker, correct?

Here is a question regarding the two options for getting the maps to the unit: if I use the Mapsource/IMG2GPS "load multiple maps at once" option, then it becomes a very long task as I have most of the USA loaded, and all maps will all need to be reloaded at once. The last time I did this took over one hour. If I simply want to add or update one trail, then using the USB mass storage route of copying one img file to the GPS is quicker, correct?

You can't, since the whole mapset needs to be "compiled" into one single file.

You can use a USB 2.0 card reader to speed up the loading itself, but you'll still have to wait for the compilation and index build.

I suggest playing around with a very small mapset until you have the result you want, then reload the whole thing once.

Jan

Help again, please. I believe the final goal is a .img file. I've read two versions of getting there: (1) "gpsmapedit" can create a .img file, (2) cGPSsmapper is required to create it.

Can someone please clarify this for me? I'm starting in Mapsource with tracks only. I can "save as" either .gpx or .GDB.

What is the simplest way to get to the finish line?

GPSmapedit runs cgpsmapper to create the img file.

Help again, please. I believe the final goal is a .img file. I've read two versions of getting there: (1) "gpsmapedit" can create a .img file, (2) cGPSsmapper is required to create it.

Can someone please clarify this for me? I'm starting in Mapsource with tracks only. I can "save as" either .gpx or .GDB.

What is the simplest way to get to the finish line?

OK; so far, I've tried and failed to create a map that can be loaded to a 60cx. PLEASE HELP.

I loaded a Mapsource .gdb file that had multiple tracks (nothing else) into GPSMapEdit. I can see the tracks. So far, so good.

Next I attempted to File > Export > Garmin IMG/cgpsmapper.exe. At that point I got an error message that read "There are no vector data to export.".

What steps am I missing or doing wrong?

Steps: (1) open Mapsource, (2) load track, (3) save as GDB file, (4) Open gpsmapedit, (5) set up the properties for levels, (6) check map is transparent, (7) select add to add the mapsource file, (8) select them all with the select tool, right click on them and select convert to polyline, (9) select walkway/trail as the type and make sure you select to only import them into level 0, (10) go to level one and add a point, (11) export it.

Red90: THANKS.

A few questions: after opening gpsmapedit in step 4, I open the GDB file that I created, correct?

As for levels, I added five levels and set the bits to match an article I read.

I don't see anywhere to check "map is transparent". I've looked everywhere. Can you please tell me where that option is?

Also, I don't any option to "convert to polyline".

I'm just wondering: is there a limited functionality version of mapedit that I'm using? I downloaded a free version. Is there a version that I need to pay for that has these additional functions? My version reads as "not registered". If I register would I find these additional features?

Anyway, THANKS AGAIN. I think I'm actually pretty close to getting this to work, and when I do I'll be very grateful for your help.

On the levels, that is what you use if you are making topo files. That does not work well for just a trail map.

Go to http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/ and download one of my (Jim Bensman) trail maps. I just updated one so right now it is the first thing you should see under maps. Download the current source and use the setting I have in there. They work well.

No once you have the map set up, you use the "add" (first icon on toolbar) to add the mapsource file.

Select "map propriites" under file menu, then check map is transparent under the gpdmapper tab.

Once you add the mapsource file, you will see the tracks (unless view attachment is not set-the paper clip on the tool bar shoud be depressed), right click on the tracks, and then select convert to polyline. You can usually select them all and then right click on one and convert them all. Depress the paper clip icon to make sure they are all created.

Also, the map will give the name of the track name to the trail. If you do not like that name or want no name at all, right click and select modify label. (or you can edit the .mp file and change it there.

This is a bit hard to learn, but once you figure it out, you can make or edit your trail map in about 5 minutes.

Topo maps are not that hard either, just a bit and they take more time to make. I can make a topo with about 15 to 30 minutes of time (that does not include the time the computer is compiling)

Red90: THANKS.

A few questions: after opening gpsmapedit in step 4, I open the GDB file that I created, correct?

As for levels, I added five levels and set the bits to match an article I read.

I don't see anywhere to check "map is transparent". I've looked everywhere. Can you please tell me where that option is?

Also, I don't any option to "convert to polyline".

I'm just wondering: is there a limited functionality version of mapedit that I'm using? I downloaded a free version. Is there a version that I need to pay for that has these additional functions? My version reads as "not registered". If I register would I find these additional features?

Anyway, THANKS AGAIN. I think I'm actually pretty close to getting this to work, and when I do I'll be very grateful for your help.

THANKS. I'm getting closer. Mistake one: I did a "File > Open" rather than File > Add.

I followed these steps of converting the track to polyline. Next I selected File > Export > Garmin IMG/cgpsmapper.exe. I got an error message that read "The map has no header data or zoom levels".

I added an ID of 11111111 (eight ones) and also a Name. I did nothing with zoom levels because of MYOTIS' comment.

What am I missing?

As you explain in your own posts earlier, you must have at least two levels. The second last level should have one item in it. The last level must be empty.

level0=23 zoom0=0

level1=21 zoom1=1

level2=19 zoom2=2

These levels should match the levels on Mapsource maps.

Make your trails in level 0. Add a single point of anything in level 1 and nothing in level 2.

Edited by Red90

THANKS Red90. More progress, and I'm getting close. I added two levels, and then attempted to File > Export > Garmin IMG. I got a message that I first needed to save it in Polish format, which I did. I then exported the file and could see a .IMG file. Woo hoo!

Now what? How can I view this map in the dropdown list in Mapsource, so that I can select it along with other maps to send to the GPS?

Apologies in advance for my ignorance. I've fiddled with this several times and I just don't get it.

I want to give this a try, but it seems I have to spend about $50 on the license key for the GPSmapedit software. Is that correct? I have a general sense that there a low probablity that I can get any sort of map editing to work, so I am pretty hesitant to make that investment.

And I am wondering if I even need that software if all I want to do is use existing maps for which img files are available.

I have downloaded a compiled map (img) file from the http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/ page and would like to install it without making any changes. I understand that I have to make Windows Registry entries so that MapSource will see this file. Very scary. So I'd like confirmation that this is what I really need to do.

Also, I have only the .img file; where do I get the tbd file? From reading some of the manual I tried using cGPSmapper with the syntax:

"C:\Program Files\cGPSmapper\cgpsmapper.exe" pv 10000019.mp

but cGPSmapper returns an error:

"Not a valid control file or input file could not be found"

Any assistance would be appreciated.

OK,

First, all the tools and data to make the cusom maps are FREE. You do not need to buy anything.

Getting things set up the first time to view your custom maps in MapSource is complicated and the regestry must be edited (this is done by double clicking on a file, not actually editing the regestry).

It would be nice if one of the programers could write a program to automate the process. I think many people do not use these custom maps due to the issue of setting it up in mapsource.

However, once you set it up the first time, it is real simple to add additional or changed maps. You can do it in about a minute AFTER you set it up the first time.

For directions on how to set it up the first time:

http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm

then follow the directions under:

Uploading your custom map using MapSource

I do somethings different. The directions say:

Create a folder named "custom" under the Garmin folder and copy your custom map to it.

I have lots of topos, POI and trail maps, I like to keep them seperate in Mapsource. So I have a folder for My Topos, My POIs, and My trails. Then in mapsource you can select you topo maps, POIs and trails like you do city navigator, TOPOUSA, etc. You just have to go through the process for each one.

Once you have it set up, to add a map or update it, all you have to do is edit test_pv.txt and add a line img=new file name. Then run cgpsmapper pv test_pv.txt Then you can restart mapsource and the new file will be there. You only have to do the other stuff the first time you set it up. (If you do as I do and have three directories, you have to do it three times intinailly).

Here is the text of one of my test_pv.txt:

[Map]

FileName=My Trails

MapVersion=102

ProductCode=111

Color=32

Levels=2

Level0=20 ' this should be the least detailed (but not empty) layer on your map

Level1=17 ' anything

Zoom0=5

Zoom1=6

MapsourceName=My Trails

MapSetName=My Trails

CDSetName=My Trails

Copy1=Garmin

Copy2=Jim Bensman

[End-Map]

[Files]

img=00000118.img

img=00000187.img

img=00000236.img

img=00000258.img

[END-Files]

Thanks, myotis. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm downloading software and topo data at this moment. I'm going to give map editing a try.

I did manage to get something to work (without using Mapsource) that I'll share here. I loaded Sendmap and had it pull in two img files from Germany as well as a world basemap that I had. Then I had it create a GMAPSUPP.IMG file from that. Placed that on the transflash card for my 60CSx and ...holy cow... exactly what I am going to need when I am geocaching in Germany later this fall.

So now I am encouraged that I can actually do this without Mapsource and the scary Regedit editing.

Now I'm going to try to assemble a local topo map for a region that I plan to be in tomorrow here in California.

It would be nice if one of the programers could write a program to automate the process. I think many people do not use these custom maps due to the issue of setting it up in mapsource.

Don't hold your breath. This is a task that can be accomplished by editing the .reg (created by cGPSmapper) with notepad and then throwing it into regedit. As you said, it is a one-time thing. A program for that would IMO be total overkill.

Once the registry entries are done, there is a ton that can be automated. I keep the sources for my maps in separate directories per map and have a bunch of .bat and .tcl scripts that put everything together, create the preview maps and move all the .img files into place.

Jan

PS: I've started uploading maps to mapcenter. Feel free to comment on them.

Edited by JanniCash

I have a .img file, finally. Now the question of how to get it, along with other maps, is ahead. Too many confusion/conflicting opinions, I'm sorry to say. Edit the registry. Don't edit the registry. Run this batch file.

I share the concerns of those about editing the registry. I took Red90's lead and downloaded the GPS Map Manager program. It "kind of" works, except you need to give the program a registry folder ID for the newly created .img/map. I gave it a "5" and when I ran Mapsource it blew up. I had to get edit the registry, delete the newly created "5" folder, and then Mapsource worked again.

I'm not giving up, and am optimistic. I too wish there was one program that did all this. I'd pay for it (hint hint). In the meanwhile I'll plow ahead.

Please keep the suggestions coming. Thanks to all.

Please keep the suggestions coming. Thanks to all.

Oh...kay!

Let's take it step by step. Apparently myotis and me work/install very similar - that'll help.

1) You now have a .IMG file that (you hope) contains a map. Good. What you need next is a preview img. Follow myotis' instructions from his post of yesterday 7:10 PM, where he showed you how to create a test_pv.img &c.

2) Assuming you even name yours test_pv, next you'd chose a location where to move all the files (that is your current .img, the test_pv.img and the test_pv.tdb created in step 1). I assume in the next step that you are moving this all to a newly created folder C:\Garmin\CustomMaps ... which is where I keep all that.

3) Use Notepad to create a mytrails.reg file with the following content:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Products\My Trails]
"LOC"="C:\\Garmin\\CustomMaps\\"
"BMAP"="C:\\Garmin\\CustomMaps\\test_pv.img"
"TDB"="C:\\Garmin\\CustomMaps\\test_pv.tdb"

4) Double click on that mytrails.reg and it will install these registry keys.

5) Fire up Mapsource and you will be able to select "My Trails" as a mapset.

Note that MapSource cannot display multiple maps at the same time. So you cannot see your trails overlayed on top of CitySelect or the like. You now select all the maps from all the map sets you like, so that they are pink, and download to GPS. Done.

Jan

I read the 7:10 p.m. post. There is an instruction to "Then run cgpsmapper pv test_pv.txt ".

What does that mean? Is this a "Start > Run > gspmapper..." type of instruction, or am I double clicking gpsmapper and then adding this instruction?

cGPSmapper is a commandline utility, so you do that from the "Command Prompt" in the directory where the files are.

Jan

OK. I assume that means: "Start > All programs > Accessories > Command Prompt."

At the C: "cd\garmin\gspmapper"

Then type in "cgpsmapper pv test_pv.txt"

Is that right?

This is the way that I do that step. I of course get the info from http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm.

5.Then, open a "command window" (DOS prompt): Start, Run , type "cmd".

6. Change directory to the "custom" folder: Type "cd c:\garmin\custom" in the command window then type "cgpsmapper pv test_pv.txt".

This creates a small preview map file (.img), a table file (.TDB) and a registry file (.reg).

8.Edit the registry file (i.e. CINtopo.reg): Right click on it and select Edit. Change the folders (directories) so they point to your custom folder. Yes, you need the double back-slashes:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Products\CINtopo]

"LOC"="C:\\Garmin\\custom\\"

"BMAP"="C:\\Garmin\\custom\\CINtopo.img"

"TDB"="C:\\Garmin\\custom\\CINtopo.tdb"

9.Run the registry file (double click it) and select yes to load it into your registry.

10.Start Mapsource. If you made a registry file mistake you will get an error saying to reinstall MapSource. Don't worry, you don't have to reinstall. Just run regedit (seek help if unsure about this!) and remove the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Products\CINtopo" key. Repeat the above steps until you get it right.

11.You should now see your map listed in MapSource along with your other Garmin maps in the 'Product' list.

Edited by Bus36

Note that MapSource cannot display multiple maps at the same time. So you cannot see your trails overlayed on top of CitySelect or the like. You now select all the maps from all the map sets you like, so that they are pink, and download to GPS. Done.

Jan

Not True at all....When you create a map in MapEdit, check the map option to make the map transparent. I have created contour plots for 6 different 7.5 usgs quads in New York and they overlay City Select with no problem. I also have many of the streams which City Select has missing loaded in the same fashion. You can see both maps at the same time, and toggle back and forth between both if you desire, or leave both on at the same time. They are selectable and loadable as seperate entities in Mapsource, just like any other Garmin product.

Jan

Not True at all....When you create a map in MapEdit, check the map option to make the map transparent. I have created contour plots for 6 different 7.5 usgs quads in New York and they overlay City Select with no problem. I also have many of the streams which City Select has missing loaded in the same fashion. You can see both maps at the same time, and toggle back and forth between both if you desire, or leave both on at the same time. They are selectable and loadable as seperate entities in Mapsource, just like any other Garmin product.

Read again. I said "MapSource" cannot. Sure does the GPS display them overlayed just fine. But you tell me how to display those transparent maps over CitySelect in MapSource on the PC.

Jan

Edited by JanniCash

It's a simple process if you already have a base map like US Topo or 24K. You simply edit the file by importing the tracks and recreating the .img file.

Otherwise, it starts getting more involved. You could do the same with City Navigator files, but then for routing capability, you would need the more sophisticated re-compilation software.

"It's a simple process if you already have a base map like US Topo or 24K. You simply edit the file by importing the tracks and recreating the .img file."

Well, we appreciate the thoughts...but that's not a simple process if you haven't done it before. What does "edit the file" mean? What does import mean? Into which program? How does one recreate a .img file?

I'm just trying to add a track as a trail to my maps. It has not been a simple process. Hopefully when I've finally got this to work I can summarize all the instructions.

I use GPSmapedit to open the .img file. I then "add" the .gdb file (tracks imported into Mapsource from the unit). I then select the tracks individually (right click), choose "convert to" (point or polyline) obviously polyline. Then you select which type of feature to associate it with (trail, road, stream, etc). After your done adding the tracks to the .mp file (what happens to the img, shp, etc. file when opening it with GPSmapedit), I use GPSmapper to re-compile it to an img file.

There is a learning curve, but all this has been discussed before. My point is that an entire basemap does not need to be created, ie topo, roads, geographical features, etc. if you have a base map from which to start.l

I have been following this thread and have been able to make a map of the bike trails in a local 900 acre park. I can only see the trails when I zoom down to 800ft on the GPS, this is alright, but I would like to zoom out a little more and still see the trails. I have level 0 set to 24 bits, and the zoom set to 0, if I change the zoom to 2 will I be able to see the map when I zoom out farther than 800ft? Thanks.

Here is an update on my situation: I had great success. Even went caching with my new map.

I pulled the seamless elevation data for a large park that I wanted to go geocaching in. I kept the area small because I had a few failed attempts with using too large an area (computer churned and never finished). I got the img file of just the contour lines. Found the City Select local mapset that I use and told Sendmap20 to grab both it and the new topo map img file. Senmap also lets me add my unlock code. I generated the same thing for 3 GPSr (each with different unlock codes and using two map versions). All three worked like a charm. I would suggest to folks who are uneasy about messing with regestry entries to use Sendmap instead.

A question for folks who use DEM2TOPO: is there a way to tell if the downloaded elevation data file is too large for DEM2TOPO to finish? 50mB is too large for my machine. 4mB worked fine. Where is the cut-off in between?

The contour lines are great, but without trails on the map it can still be frustrating. I learned that the hard way in the park yesterday as I stood 80 ft below a geocache looking up a sheer rock wall (guess how I knew it was 80ft up). Then I needed to know which way around to the nearest trail. So the question: is there a source for trail data somewhere?

And finally: I am traveling to Korea in a few weeks. The USGS seamless elevation data website shows spacial data for that country. But I cannot seem to download it. Any ideas on how to make that work?

Here is an update on my situation: I had great success. Even went caching with my new map.

I pulled the seamless elevation data for a large park that I wanted to go geocaching in. I kept the area small because I had a few failed attempts with using too large an area (computer churned and never finished). I got the img file of just the contour lines. Found the City Select local mapset that I use and told Sendmap20 to grab both it and the new topo map img file. Senmap also lets me add my unlock code. I generated the same thing for 3 GPSr (each with different unlock codes and using two map versions). All three worked like a charm. I would suggest to folks who are uneasy about messing with regestry entries to use Sendmap instead.

A question for folks who use DEM2TOPO: is there a way to tell if the downloaded elevation data file is too large for DEM2TOPO to finish? 50mB is too large for my machine. 4mB worked fine. Where is the cut-off in between?

The contour lines are great, but without trails on the map it can still be frustrating. I learned that the hard way in the park yesterday as I stood 80 ft below a geocache looking up a sheer rock wall (guess how I knew it was 80ft up). Then I needed to know which way around to the nearest trail. So the question: is there a source for trail data somewhere?

And finally: I am traveling to Korea in a few weeks. The USGS seamless elevation data website shows spacial data for that country. But I cannot seem to download it. Any ideas on how to make that work?

As for trails I haven't been able to find a site that has them. That is why I am hoping that people start to share their trails and post them on sites like mapcenter or such. Even if others don't want to make the maps I am willing to convert some gpx files of trails and such that they hiked and post them on mapcenter as maps for all to use.

As for seeing the trails when zoomed out further than 800ft if you convert your gpx files to a shp and then import them into the mapedit and import them into levels other than level 0 you can see them when you zoom out. This would be done that same as large rivers or such. I can't remember the program that converts gpx files to shp files but I can look when I get home or search here it was posted not to long ago.

OK - success at last, sort of. I finally got Mapsource to recognize the map I created with tracks (trails) only.

HOWEVER, a big disappointment - the tracks have been smoothed to the point they're nearly meaningless. Whereas the trail (track) has multiple switchbacks in the original version, somewhere along the line it lost its precision and now shows a straight line between the bottom and top.

Any ideas how I can retain all the detail in the original track?