Australian cachers coming to New York

Dosphoenix

Hi all,

We are arriving in NYC on 7 September and leaving on 3 November. I travel to New York a fair bit for work, but this time my husband can come with me. Its his first time to the United States. In between my last trip in Feb/March this year and now, I have acquired my own GPS so can now continue the hunt in the Big Apple. Very excited about this and have already put some caches on my watch list.

If anyone has any recommended caches or things that are quirky to New York caching please let us know (I'm guessing more micros than usual!).

We live in Park Slope and I'm surprised to see no caches in Prospect Park? Froggy Bottom seems to be the closest?

Can't wait to arrive (hope the weather stays warm).

Cheers,

Brit and Cristian (aka Dosphoenix)

Hi there! if you make it into Manhattan as Pete said there are quite a few caches in lower Manhattan--and more are being placed. in addition there are quite a few in central park. if you do go to central park you will get a lot of finds, but to be honest i don’t think as a tourist you really want standard caches in CP, you would probably much rather prefer caches hidden in the local style. LF's Snack if you are in midtown is urbanesk, and should be enabled shortly. otherwise lower Manhattan is a great place, or if you are up by the Met you can head east (turn left instead of right out of the subway station) and you can get Liz's Joules (and urban cache) and Peter Pan.

it is interesting there aren’t any caches in prospect park, i will work on that :D

Hope this is helpful! and enjoy your stay in the city

~Mile Runner (Local NYC Cacher)

I am already here and really appreciate the replies! On my way home from Newark today we are going to try Military Park here. Otherwise I'm in the process of printing your suggestions.

You come to the US and go to Newark? :laughing::rolleyes::laughing: .

Brisbane to Newark --- hmmm --- I have two caches in New York, one will take you 2 minutes:

Bryant Park Micro It is central to the Theater District, Time Square, 42nd Street and New York Public Library (where Ghostbusters and more recently Spiderman was filmed)

The other will take you 2 days:

Five Star New York A nice walk thru New York to many of it's sights and sounds.

:laughing:

I am already here and really appreciate the replies! On my way home from Newark today we are going to try Military Park here. Otherwise I'm in the process of printing your suggestions.

You come to the US and go to Newark? :D:D:anibad: .

Don't talk to me about it! Work is in Newark ... at NJIT, but living in Park Slope is very nice thank you!

Did the beginning of a cache in Military Park yesterday, even though it was 5pm I was a little uncomfortable! Couldn't get near ground zero because of the many loiterers, so going back this afternoon. I think that will be my one and only New Jersey cache just cause its on the train line!

You come to the US and go to Newark? :P:anibad::D .

Don't talk to me about it! Work is in Newark ... at NJIT, but living in Park Slope is very nice thank you!

Did the beginning of a cache in Military Park yesterday, even though it was 5pm I was a little uncomfortable! Couldn't get near ground zero because of the many loiterers, so going back this afternoon. I think that will be my one and only New Jersey cache just cause its on the train line!

Cool! My wife Mrs Avroair also works at NJIT :D

I guess you're already here, but if you happen to check this thread again, I suggest you get out of the city for a day and check out the caches on NJ's Palisades. Some nice caches with great views of NYC there.

Here are two you can use as a point of reference:

The Giants Stairs

By George What a Bridge

Im from Southern California and will be in NYC next weekend 9/28-10/1. Are the NJ Palisades caches accessible via public transportation from the Financial District?

Thanx

I guess you're already here, but if you happen to check this thread again, I suggest you get out of the city for a day and check out the caches on NJ's Palisades. Some nice caches with great views of NYC there.

The Giants Stairs

By George What a Bridge

Im from Southern California and will be in NYC next weekend 9/28-10/1. Are the NJ Palisades caches accessible via public transportation from the Financial District?

Thanx

I don't think so. I know there is a light rail system from Hoboken, but I don't believe it goes far enough north. The NY Waterway Ferry won't get you there either. Looking at the NJ Transit website, it appears that the 158 bus and/or the 159 bus will get you from the Port Authority Bus Terminal in NYC to Fort Lee, which is close to many of the Palisade caches. Not sure how far the walk would be from the bus station to the caches though. Might require a cab ride.

The Giants Stairs

By George What a Bridge

Thanx

Brian is right, your best bet a bus out of Port Authority. There are many parks you can get to via NJ Transit buses or trains.

I don't think so. I know there is a light rail system from Hoboken, but I don't believe it goes far enough north. The NY Waterway Ferry won't get you there either. Looking at the NJ Transit website, it appears that the 158 bus and/or the 159 bus will get you from the Port Authority Bus Terminal in NYC to Fort Lee, which is close to many of the Palisade caches. Not sure how far the walk would be from the bus station to the caches though. Might require a cab ride.

Come to Boston to geocache! We love Aussies :antenna:

awwwwwww shucks :antenna: we love Boston too!

Had a mammoth day on Saturday and picked up 19 caches, still waiting for confirmation to post on some of the virtuals though (nervously waiting *chews nails*, note Central Park Guardian and 4x per annum).

Heading down the Jersey Shore this weekend, there's about a million on the drive down there and then up to New England somewhere (probably Vermont) the following weekend.

This is excellent! Having lots of fun, loved the caches in NYC.

You guys should come out to Australia and start looking for some serious lunch box sized caches! We grow 'em big! We'll have a welcome party!

Come to Boston to geocache! We love Aussies :antenna:

awwwwwww shucks :antenna: we love Boston too!

Had a mammoth day on Saturday and picked up 19 caches, still waiting for confirmation to post on some of the virtuals though (nervously waiting *chews nails*, note Central Park Guardian and 4x per annum).

Heading down the Jersey Shore this weekend, there's about a million on the drive down there and then up to New England somewhere (probably Vermont) the following weekend.

This is excellent! Having lots of fun, loved the caches in NYC.

You guys should come out to Australia and start looking for some serious lunch box sized caches! We grow 'em big! We'll have a welcome party!

Come on out to northwest NJ. Plenty of "lunchbox" sized caches here.

Thanx for the replies re: public transportation to NJ. Me and 3 muggles are renting a car Friday and going north, but if there's time maybe we can head to NJ for a couple Palisades caches. THANX again!

If you're going north check out Harriman SP or the Hudson Highlands. The Hud Highlands are very scenic and there are some great caches there.

Thanx Briansnat. I am now official fed up with the transit system's websites. To add NJ to my state caches, I may end up having to take the train across from lower Manhattan. It looks like the first stop is Secaucus Junction, but I can't find an exact address or locate it on Google Earth to find it if there's any caches w/in walking distance. So, basically, Im looking for a short train trip from Manhattan to NJ, and a cache w/in walking distance of the station so I can hop back to NYC. Any ideas????

THANX soooooo much! I'll letya know how it all turns out.

Thanx Briansnat. I am now official fed up with the transit system's websites. To add NJ to my state caches, I may end up having to take the train across from lower Manhattan. It looks like the first stop is Secaucus Junction, but I can't find an exact address or locate it on Google Earth to find it if there's any caches w/in walking distance. So, basically, Im looking for a short train trip from Manhattan to NJ, and a cache w/in walking distance of the station so I can hop back to NYC. Any ideas????

THANX soooooo much! I'll letya know how it all turns out.

The easiest thing to do if you are just looking for a quick find to add NJ to your list, is to hop on the PATH and take it to Hoboken where you can bag this cache. You can get the PATH at several places in Manhattan, including 33rd st, 23rd st, 14th st. and WTC site.. It would be a fairly long walk to the cache from the PATH to the cache, but very do able.

A slightly more expensive, but more enjoyable option would be to take the NY Waterway Ferry to Port Imperial to bag the Weehawken View cache, or Port Liberte to bag the caches in Liberty State Park (there are two: Rook in the Reeds and There's George).

The PATH is $1.50 USD each way, the ferry is around $7 USD each way, but the ferry is much nicer than riding in a tube under the river.

If you're looking to make a day of it and want to see some of the best of what NJ has to offer, consider taking the NJ Transit Bus #197 from the PA bus terminal to Greenwood Lake NJ (State Line stop you must request this stop). This will put you where you can bag the NY/NJ Multi State Multi Cache which I think is the best cache in the state, along with about 4 others. Bring your camera as this is one of the most scenic spots in the region.

You can also get off a stop earlier at Lakeside Rd/Greenwood Lake Tpk and access the Bearfort Ridge trails from there. You can get to the above caches and a couple of others from there but its a longer walk (about 7 miles total).

Edited by briansnat