Which GPS for good signal no B&W?

mb571

I have a yellow etrex and would like something with a better signal under some tree cover. I was pondering what to buy, and like anything else I've went to buy, it gets murkier when spending some time in the user forums. I've read about problems with the Cx units.

What would result in the best signal : and older GPSMap76 with a quadhelix antenna or the newer VistaCx?

I am not about to spend $500Can so I am trying to put things in perspective here.

Thanks for your insite folks.

mb571

All GPS's are spotty under dense tree cover. The Garmin 60 series, especially the newer ones with the SIRF chip have been reported to be much better under tree cover.

But remember this, even if your GPS is dead on, the person PLACING the cache GPS unit might not be.

PS - The new Garmin 76 with SD capability have the SIRF chip along with a quad helix antenna. But it will run you several 100 more dollars than a Etrex yellow. The 60 series with SD card capability also are quad helix with SIRF technology.

You might still be able to find an out of production Meridian in the market, my local Walmart is still stelling the MeriGold for $199.

Edited by gpsblake

I started with a Garmin Legend and while it did OK, it would lose a signal if put in my pocket or in the cab of my truck. Sold it on EBAY and bought a Legend C. Love the color screen and I have found it to hold a lock under trees, in my pocket or in the cab of my truck. It will also get a lock from inside my house. Accuracy also is much better than the Legend I had, which always seemed to give an average of 18' on the display. This Legend C most times shows an accuracy of about 9'.

I liked the C so well, that I sold my sons yellow one and he now has a C also and it also has the same lock and accuracy as mine.

I carry both an older eTrex Vista with the older receiver, and a 60CSx with the new SiRFIII receiver.

The new SiRFIII receiver is only available in the 60CSx, 76Cx, Edge, Foretrex and a couple other Garmin units. But the SiRFIII is NOT used in the new eTrex Cx line. Nevertheless I find the Vista mostly very good in reception, with an occasional short drop, usually in north facing steep hill sides and heavy foilage. The 60CSx never looses signal, even then.

The 60CSx is around $370 or so on Amazon and other places, and Garmin had a $50 rebate that may be expiring about now. Check their web site. The 60Cx is even cheaper.