Tell Me About Arizona

Geo Jockey

Hey Everyone,

I figured this would be a good place to ask people about Arizona considering I think geocachers see a little more of their area than the muggles do. I'm currently residing in MA and am considering a move to AZ in November. I am traveling there in a couple weeks, staying at a place in Scottsdale and then driving around a scoping out the area (of course I will geocaching my way around as well).

Just curious peoples thoughts on the place that have been there and/or lived there. Maybe somethings I should watch out for. I am a 25 year old guy, more of the outdoorsy type if that makes a difference to your post.

Thanks!

Scottsdale is the home of the largest repository of trophy wives in America. They remain trophy wives until they hit 40, and their husbands dump them, and they roam from bar to bar with their leathery necks from too much time out in the sun, looking for another rich man. North Scottsdale is the worst, its full of gigantic houses, carved out of pristine desert, owned by people who constantly whine about how the desert is getting ripped up and turned into homes....go figure.

Phoenix is cool, the downtown is really starting to get a life again, but they are taxing us all billions for a "light rail" system that goes an average of 12 mph, and every couple of minutes it stops, opens its doors and lets in the 114 degree heat. Oh, and it goes right down the middle of the road, so that if you have a car, you will get stuck behind this expensive waste of money.

Tempe is a great laid back town, the university is there, a real street nightlife is there and the big fake lake which is basically a tub of water held up by 2 inflatable dams in a river bottom. One day one of the dams will pop and it will be ugly!

Glendale is growing like crazy, but they have the Cardinals and that is reason enough not to live there. Gilbert and Mesa are tract homes and LDS cities. Apache Junction is beautiful, but its all trailer parks. Paradise Valley is for the ultra rich and no one is welcome there unless you pass a credit check.

Fountain Hills is too far NE, Peoria and Surprise are too far NW, Goodyear is too far W, Anthem is a boring planned community too far north. Cave Creek and Carefree are fun, Carefree is uptight home owner associations in the N of Phoenix in the desert, and it adjoins Cave Creek which is laid back funky houses in the desert where an odd assortment of eccentrics live.

The entire valley is growing exponentially, 30 miles south of Phx, formerly sleepy towns like Maricopa are growing by leaps and bounds.

I sure hope we have the water to support all the growth!

...and if all that's not enough, you need to have a small fortune to get any kind of decent housing.

That's all a matter of perspective. I could get one heck of a nice house on the fairways in Scottsdale for the price of the shack I'm living in now.

I've never lived in Arizona, but I do get out that way fairly frequently--so take my thoughts for whatever they're worth. Phoenix isn't a perfect city, and like any other metropolis it has its share of areas I found downright detestable...But there's lots to like about the area, once you get past the heat and the worsening traffic and the lack of alternatives to the automobile and the sprawling new developments. I've always loved the stark splendor of the desert, and can handle the heat.

I almost moved to AZ to take a job at ASU. I did a lot of exploring around Tempe, Scottsdale, and Fountain Hills to decide where I'd want to live, and I really enjoyed it there. Downtown Phoenix seems to be booming once again, and Tempe has plenty to offer. There seems to be an abundance of greenbelts, parks, cycling/jogging trails, hiking opportunities, and other public areas...at least compared to Los Angeles standards.

To far this way to far that way. Hey it all is a matter of perspective. I have lived in several major cities and traveled through many more. Phoenix is my favorite. Although traffic can be a hassle like in any city it is still the easiest city to drive that I know of. The streets are very well layed out. And I am one of those that lives way to far West in Surprise where housing is still cheaper than California. It only takes me 30 minuets in non rushour traffic to get to down town phoenix. Surprise is an awesome growing suburb and I work in surprise so who cares if I am two far west.

I love the weather here. I got sick of the snow in Denver. When it is 60 to 70 degrees here it could be sub zero in Denver. I have been here going on five years and I love it here. Not to mention their are over 200 caches within a 10 mile radius of my house. And I am on the fringe of phoenix. We will not be leaving this desert oasis soon.

[:laughing:]

A lot depends on what you are looking for. I moved from Minnesota and have lived in Bisbee and Tucson and now Arivaca. Where I live is way off the beaten path, but it is a beautiful area with a wonderful community of people. There are the usual problems with drugs and illegals, but I almost never encounter any of that. I am surrounded by mountains and wilderness, yet I am only 45 minutes from Tucson. The weather is very nice. Since the beginning of July (when the rains started), highs temps are only in the 80s. January can get a little chilly at night (sometimes down in the 20s, usually in the 30s), but daytime highs are in the 60s.

Most of southeastern Arizona is as I described above. If you prefer more snow and pines, look at the Flagstaff area. Flagstaff and the surrounding area is incredibly beautiful. Sedona is only a half hour south and Phoenix is only 2.5 hours south.

So... are you looking for city life? Country life? Hot as hell? Lots of snow in the winter? Arizona has it all.

First, which part of Arizona? Most of the state is hot and dry, most of the year. I can't name a favorite part that I have been to, there is beauty everywhere if you take the time to see it. I have gotten some wonderful pics of desert mountains, and cactus blooms as I have gone through. And the metro area, in spite of it's problems, is fairly well laid out and easy to get around, even in a 75' long vehicle.

AZ does have problems with growth and water, but so does much of the southwest. If you can't take the extreme heat, as in over 100, you may wish to look in the Flagstaff area, if employment is available. (the pine forests are not what you expect in what is considered a desert state.)

I have suggested moving out there to the wife, but her mother is getting on up there and she needs to stay close for now.

I just spent part of three days in Prescott. What a great community! :lol: I don't know about housing prices there, but the town has a lot of interesting history and I met several nice people. Even though I couldn't find many of the caches there . . . :lol: , I had a good time.

Wickenburg is also nice. The elevation is just a bit higher than Phoenix, so the summers are not quite so hot!!

Sedona is beautiful, but expensive.

If you want a cooler climate, check out Flagstaff.

The towns of Globe and Show Low were interesting, and Bisbee has some interesting attributes.

Have a good time . . . I would love to head back there again when the desert temperatures moderate a bit.

I was scanning the forums this morning and saw this thread...I found it interesting as I too are considering a move to Arizona. We are looking at the Sierra Vista / Tombstone area. I have now been back several times and think we will be moving this year, but still am not too sure yet.

I know Bisbee is nearby and someone from an above post mentioned they lived there...Are there any downsides to the areas I am mentioning?

So far it sure seems to beat Modesto, CA where I live now!!

I have read through the replies and noticed that Payson wasn't mentioned. It is really a beautiful area and smaller in size than Flagstaff, but close to the Mogollon Rim (pronounced MUGG-e-own) and it has the big pines. It is higher in elevation than Phoenix, but not so far away that it is quick and easy to get to more shopping and other things that a huge city holds.

And of course I have to mention..Page, AZ. - in the middle of no friggin place - High Desert area. If you like a small town close to a huge lake (Lake Powell), away from the hustle and bustle and traffic....then consider here. But, be forewarned...it is NOT for the people who worry about the price of gas. To get anywhere you are going to have to drive many miles.

We wish anyone moving to AZ. well. We moved here from Indiana in 1979 and have not regretted it.

Shirley~

I've lived in the Southwest my whole life and in Arizona specifically for 17 years now. While the uncontrolled population growth drives me nuts and will eventually force me to move to a smaller town, I still consider it one of the best states to live in if you like the outdoors. You can hike, bike and camp (not in snow!) any day of the year with a 2 hour or less drive. The skiing might be less diverse than other Rocky Mtn states but you can do just about any outdoor activity except surfing. ;) The traffic gets worse every year and will only continue to get worse, but it has a fairly good job market and more things to do every year. Water will be a growing issue, but finally some towns are getting smart & instituting restrictions (like Tucson did a LONG time ago).

Come out and take a look, Arizona is a state that has just about everything. You can choose any climate from low desert to alpine, though there is no ocean we do have some very nice lakes and even a few rivers. Caching is abundant but beware rattle snakes are still active and more so in the daylight now that the weather has cooled off. Don't fret just beware and if you do encounter one just give it some space and it won't bother you. Have a nice trip and Welcome to the home of the Grand Canyon.