Newb with a question about low end and hig end units...

djstretch

currently i have only had experience using low end units

I have Legend

My dad has a 315

My friend has a Etrex

is there really a major difference between lets say a Legend and a 60csx or is it mainly just the bells and whistles

under alot of tree cover will the SIRF make a difference?

I've been looking at getting either the Vista C or the 60csx but can't make up my mind, the main difference for me is the money

I see alot of people up on this forum use the 60csx but can you really tell a difference between the units other that extra features

currently i have only had experience using low end units

I have Legend

under alot of tree cover will the SIRF make a difference?

Like night and day!! I once did a 10K hike in a forest and was using a Legend, which managed to "register" about 4.5K of the hike. I went to a 60 CSx early this year, and haven't lost a signal (other than in a tunnel) since.

Rick

Edited by rstickle

I have a Lowrance ifinder h20 c. The chip's specs match the sirf III. I haven't lost a signal under the heavy tree cover here in Michigan yet. I often cache with someone with an etrex. He most of the time just leaves it in the car when we go into the woods as he loses the signal so often. So yes I would say there is a big difference. I don't need all the bells and whistles--altimeter, etc and I carry a compass but get a unit that gets a quick lock and keeps it

I have a Lowrance ifinder h20 c. The chip's specs match the sirf III.

I have a Lowrance Expedition C, not all that different from an H20 C. The thing is outstanding under tree cover. I can even get a signal lock in the middle of my house, on the first floor no less.. My Magellan Sportrak was mostly useless in the woods - if it didn't lose a signal, then it was bouncing me all over the place. Edited by Jeeters
...is there really a major difference between lets say a Legend and a 60csx or is it mainly just the bells and whistles...

I wondered the same thing when I upgraded my Vista to a 60CSx.

The difference is huge. Yes, there are a lot more bells and whistles, but to name a few things I've been stoked about:

• Much better reception in forests, canyons, etc.
  • More routes, more waypoints per route
  • Better screen visibility in daylight
  • Larger memory / micro-SD card
  • Longer battery life

My vintage Vista (pre-color) is a great receiver, but the 60CSx is just an all-around better performer. I chose the Vista years ago for the small size, light weight, altimeter and MapSource Topo. The 60CSx still has all those features for mountaineering, sea kayaking and multi-day mountain biking, but now I have routable maps for road trips, reception in the passenger seat, color, plus other features of the bigger, less rugged receivers.