Garmin GPSMap60CSx dashboard mount

Slower Pace

Not only am I having a problem getting my computer and new Map60CSx to be friends, I got sandbagged just trying to get an automobile mount for it.

I went into the sporting goods store and looked at the various mounts for the Garmin 60 series. Aha! A nice sandbag critter that was portable from my car to my pickup. Perfect. NOT! :)

The portable weighted bag doesn't come with a mounting bracket, just the base and locking mechanism. You gotta buy a regular stick-on dash mount or suction cup model to get the necessary mount that attaches to the GPS, and the base that snaps into the sandbag base lock. At $30 each, I had to make sure my wife was next door at the crafts & hobbies store...

Wait! There's more!..... So I bought both ($60) and went out to the pickup and tried to figure out how to connect the GPS to the mounting bracket. It said to "tighten the screw until snug" to keep the bracket on the GPS. Huh? What screw? There was no screw. So I went back into the store and told the guy the screw was missing from the package. "No, there is no screw, my friend. It came with the belt clip when you bought the unit. And you can buy another belt clip from the store for $11."

Yeah, I did get a belt clip, and it was a long ways off, at home. So I used a rubber band to "mount" my GPS on the drive home.

How stupid. What would it cost Garmin to put the necessary screw in the package with the Auto dash mounts? At $30 a whack for plastic, they should give you two screws. Come to think of it, I guess they did.... B)

Edited by Slower Pace

:angry:

Not only am I having a problem getting my computer and new Map60CSx to be friends, I got sandbagged just trying to get an automobile mount for it.

I went into the sporting goods store and looked at the various mounts for the Garmin 60 series. Aha! A nice sandbag critter that was portable from my car to my pickup. Perfect. NOT! :P

The portable weighted bag doesn't come with a mounting bracket, just the base and locking mechanism. You gotta buy a regular stick-on dash mount or suction cup model to get the necessary mount that attaches to the GPS, and the base that snaps into the sandbag base lock. At $30 each, I had to make sure my wife was next door at the crafts & hobbies store...

Wait! There's more!..... So I bought both ($60) and went out to the pickup and tried to figure out how to connect the GPS to the mounting bracket. It said to "tighten the screw until snug" to keep the bracket on the GPS. Huh? What screw? There was no screw. So I went back into the store and told the guy the screw was missing from the package. "No, there is no screw, my friend. It came with the belt clip when you bought the unit. And you can buy another belt clip from the store for $11."

Yeah, I did get a belt clip, and it was a long ways off, at home. So I used a rubber band to "mount" my GPS on the drive home.

How stupid. What would it cost Garmin to put the necessary screw in the package with the Auto dash mounts? At $30 a whack for plastic, they should give you two screws. Come to think of it, I guess they did.... :P

:P I also bought the suction cup and considered buying the sandbag setup, suction cup left marks all over the windshield and was bulky to transport. On a trip out of town once in the rental car I wore my arm out holding the GPS. When reaching the hotel I put the citynav software to work and selected the local Radio Shack and purchased a vent cell phone holder. Works great and easy to store for the plane ride back, also fits the vents in my jeep as well. I know its late for you,but someone else might find the information useful...

Don't blame Garmin for your impatience and lack of research. Most mounting system are modular. That gives people the flexibility to put together the components that work best for their situation. And it makes upgrading a breeze. When I stepped up from a Vista to a 60CSx, all I needed was a new unit bracket, instead of having to buy an entire new mounting system. Total cost for the mount upgrade - a ten spot and change. Sweeeeet!

First off let me say I also have the Garmin mount that you are talking about, and I love it. You kow the saying YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR... I dont think you should blame Garmin for the way they market their products. The clip that slides int the base is the same clip that slides onto the handlebar mount which is the same on the etrex units. I think Garmin is doing it right... I looked at other mounts and none came close to the quality of the factory Garmin mounts. I myself would not hang my map60cs in a cheep holder that clips onto a dash vent. JUST MY 2 CENTS

Just another bit of info that seems to fit here:

I recently discovered that certain Verizon cellphone belt clips are compatible with the 60CSx button. Don't know which one is cheaper yet, but it was mp3 enabled cellphones that made 1G MicroSD's affordable ...

I found that out, too. I've got a Verizon LG VX6000, and the belt clips are interchangeable. They have the same design features, so I guessing they were probably made by the same company. I recently had to buy a new case for the phone (which includes the clip). Cost was a whopping $1. I bought a couple more as spares.