$18 to send one coin to Oz

Bunya

The next time you feel inclined to complain about the postage for sending coins within the US ponder this:-

I have just been quoted $18 to send one, yes ONE, coin to Australia :)

The exact statement was "it is $18.00 to send this USPS parcel post". B)

I'll pass on that one, I think.

The next time you feel inclined to complain about the postage for sending coins within the US ponder this:-

Try global prioroty. also how much did you tell them it weighed?

Hummm...me thinks someone looked at the wrong chart. I just sent eight coins to Australia for $4.25 or so. If the package is under one pound, it can go economy post just about anywhere overseas for that rate. This has been proved out on several packages that I have sent overseas the last year or so with no problems to date.

Sorry - I didn't mean to give the impression that this was the first time I had been sent coins from the US - far from it.

I just hate to think what a fellow Aussie would think if it was the first time they had enquired.

I have been charged anything from zero (really) upwards, with the $5.25 "global priority" being quite common.

(By the way, my experience for one coin is that an airmail letter at $1.80 or so gets to Oz faster, though I gather the sender gets a free package for the $5.25.)

My posting was done in a state of shock at having seen the reply to my enquiry about the postage in one particular case.

I did actually question the amount and they confirmed it.

I usually get more than one coin at once other than in trades.

Most of my multiple coin purchases from the US average $1-$2 per coin for postage.

Edited by Bunya

"parcel post" is the same for ozzies shipping out - it is very expensive to send FAT things.

If you can keep the width under 20mm you send it "small letter" rate - typically one fat heavy compass rose ( that's one mama of a coin) or two smaller sensibly sized coins cost about $2 in either currency plus mailer, and up to 4 pounds! thats 2 kg! of compass roses will ship global priority flat rate mailer ( unbreakable ) for $5. 25 picked up, no counter queues. How many were you thinking of buying tomorrow? :)

A 4 ounce envelope from U.S. to Austrailia is $5.25 Global priority mail using small flat rate envelope.

Even if you used Large flat rate envelope or Variable weight Global Priority it's only $9.50

but beware there is some non global priority ie: slow way of posting airmail from US because I have two outstanding - from July 20! and early Aug. or these are truly lost and I have forms to fill out.... what to do - wait another week or start filing? The postie says his parcelpost load has gone up 400% since internet began.

Hummm...me thinks someone looked at the wrong chart. I just sent eight coins to Australia for $4.25 or so. If the package is under one pound, it can go economy post just about anywhere overseas for that rate. This has been proved out on several packages that I have sent overseas the last year or so with no problems to date.

8 coins for that little? That's good or they were real lightweight coins.

I think 1 coin to Austrailia sent air letter post costs me about $2.30. It and Luxembourg are the most expensive countries to ship to from Georgia. But all the other European countries are in the $1.40 to $1.70 range for 1 coin.

From the US:

1) Under 4-5 oz you can send it air letter post. There may be dimension restrictions, but I've never encountered them. Under 4-5 oz this is the cheapest method.

2) If its under 4 pounds AND fits inside of a global priority flat rate envelope AND more than 4-5 oz then this is the best route. Keep in mind you can not reinforce edges except for the edge along the flap that you seal.

3) If its under 4 pounds AND does not fit inside of a global priority flat rate envelope you can send it air letter post or global priority. It will be more expensive than flat rate.

4) If its over 4 pounds then you go air parcel post and its big bucks.

Don't send it economy. It takes 4-6 WEEKS and costs more. Go figure.

Difference between priority and air letter? Priority goes with the Express mail so it leaves the country immediately. Air letter travels by USPS 1st class to a large sorting center (I've seen stuff go through NJ) before flying out. Once priority and/or air letter reach the local postal services delivery times will vary. Most places I've sent stuff to apparently treats air letter and priority as the same for delivery.

Greets, I mailed 6 coins to forthferalz in Austrailia, from Florida, One coin being the Meades Benchmark coin (heavy bugger) , using a USPS Global Priority flat rate mailer with bubble mailer inside as well...and it cost about $6.00 US from memory , Glenn

Posted along with crake LOL,, YES tape the heck out of the edges of the Flat rate mailer and pull open strip to ensure it does not open in route,,

Edited by glennk721

Thanks to all for the informative responses to my OP. :D

I should point out that this "$18 for one coin to Aus" was very much the exception for what US sellers usually charge, though the range of charges is still a bit of a mystery to me. :blink:

From the US:

<snip>

Difference between priority and air letter? Priority goes with the Express mail so it leaves the country immediately. Air letter travels by USPS 1st class to a large sorting center (I've seen stuff go through NJ) before flying out. Once priority and/or air letter reach the local postal services delivery times will vary. Most places I've sent stuff to apparently treats air letter and priority as the same for delivery.

Thanks for that interesting info, crake.

Perhaps my impression that 'airmail letter' beats 'global priority' was mistaken.

However, the four parcels that have turned up damaged or that I've lost coins from were 'Global Priority' ones - not sure why.

(Of course 'crake' packages always turn up quickly and undamaged! B) )

(Of course 'crake' packages always turn up quickly and undamaged! :D )

That's good to hear! I try to pack them well. The biggest risk I think of lost international is not from original packaging, but what happens if customs opens the package. I've had at least one case where coins were literally falling out of the package at the destination because customs slit open the package and just used scotch tape to close it back up. :blink: