Norwegian TB-trouble

lexidh

So I looked at my new TB tag, and found a letter I don't encounter very often in english, an ø. (it's pronunced like a guy says "eeeh", just without the h ;P) It took me a while to figure out that the "letter" actually was supposed to be a number. How did our letter ø turn into an 0?

So I looked at my new TB tag, and found a letter I don't encounter very often in english, an ø. (it's pronunced like a guy says "eeeh", just without the h ;P) It took me a while to figure out that the "letter" actually was supposed to be a number. How did our letter ø turn into an 0?

Are you sure it's an ø? Maybe what you are seeing is actually a zero with a slash in it, which is a bit different.

Are you sure it's an ø? Maybe what you are seeing is actually a zero with a slash in it, which is a bit different.

I'm very sure, it's the letter Ø, the slash is not just inside, it sticks out on each side . If it was inside it would make more sense =)

I'm very sure, it's the letter Ø, the slash is not just inside, it sticks out on each side . If it was inside it would make more sense =)

Odd.

Did you purchase the TB tag directly from Groundspeak?

Odd.

Did you purchase the TB tag directly from Groundspeak?

No, I got them from Geogearstore. Much cheaper to get them from them than to buy them from any webshop in Norway, they even charge less for shipping!

No, I got them from Geogearstore. Much cheaper to get them from them than to buy them from any webshop in Norway, they even charge less for shipping!

Maybe the person who put the number on there got confused by the slashed-zero and used your Ø instead?

Edited by TheBeast

Maybe the person who put the number on there got confused by the slashed-zero and used your Ø instead?

That is a strange thing not to think about when you are making thousands and thousands of tags. It's not on the activation code, it's on the actual tag! And I've got two of them about to go out to the Norwegian geocachers...

That is a strange thing not to think about when you are making thousands and thousands of tags. It's not on the activation code, it's on the actual tag! And I've got two of them about to go out to the Norwegian geocachers...

I just recently created a new TB, and has two of the zeroes-with-slashes in the tracking number. Thanks to this thread, I added a little sticker to the tag that says "The slashed circles are zeroes". I hope it eliminates confusing in case my TB ever ends up in Norway...

zeroespt8.jpg

I can say with assurance that slashed zeros were used 38 years ago on military radio teletype machines to differentiate them from letter "O". Everything was in caps, no lower case what so ever. Typewriters used to copy morse code messages were made the same way, same reason. I'm betting on GC's bugs are using zeros to go with the base whatever numbering system (31 or so?) Likely no I, O, or a couple of other confusable letters.

hairball

I can say with assurance that slashed zeros were used 38 years ago on military radio teletype machines to differentiate them from letter "O". Everything was in caps, no lower case what so ever. Typewriters used to copy morse code messages were made the same way, same reason. I'm betting on GC's bugs are using zeros to go with the base whatever numbering system (31 or so?) Likely no I, O, or a couple of other confusable letters.

hairball

Was this with the US Military, the english-speaking Militaries (like England), or was this global?

- HauntHunters

This was with the US Navy and the gear was all pretty old, it had been that way for a long time. I don't think it was capable of doing the Norwegian slashed "o"...... Hey, you hams out there, does International Morse have provision for that character? I know there are a wide variety of international characters, umlats, tildas, different accents, a "B" that looks more like the Greek "Beta" and so on. How are those handled in Morse?

hairball

Hey, you hams out there, does International Morse have provision for that character? I know there are a wide variety of international characters, umlats, tildas, different accents, a "B" that looks more like the Greek "Beta" and so on. How are those handled in Morse?

hairball

Like this:

http://freenet.msp.mn.us/people/calguire/morse.html

--... ...-- -.. . ...- . ...-- --- .. .--- --..-- -. --- ..- -- .-.. .- ..- - ... ...-.-