** Time & Date Stamp Needed! **

wimswims

Sometimes cache descriptions have to be altered. Because the cache has been placed at a new place, an instruction has been changed, etc. Normal procedure....

I experienced a difficulty in this...

One night I've printed a description.

The next day I started hunting.

But, it turned out that the description was changed this very morning and the cache has got a new place.

After all I was 'lost in space' as you can imagine, because I did not know!!

There is not any way to easy check, before hunting, if you use the latest version.

Therefore I suggested Groundspeak to add a Date & Time Stamp in the header of the cache description. Next to the type of the cache. It will make it easy to check whether the description is altered or not.

Groundspeak suggested me "Since this is a concept that would affect all geocachers I am going to suggest that you post this in the Geocaching.com.".

Which I did now...!

How it's going further now?

[nordic-wanderer]

Unfortunately that tells you when the web page was last updated, not when the cache info was last updated. Adding a log to the cache causes the "Last Updated" date to change.

I agree that a last modified date/time for the description, D/T ratings, coordinates and even the attributes would be nice. Having them would not make any difference to many people though. For example, my pocket query runs on a certain day and unless I get a "cache has been disabled/archived" email, I dont worry about changes between the PQ and my hunt. Yep, once in a while I DNF because of changed data.....Im okay with that because I rarely spend more than 5-10 minutes hunting unless I know it is a particularly difficult cache and it has been found recently.

The idea of a date stamp for the coordinates changing would be good. Sometimes only the last couple of digits change and you can miss it. Its easy to miss ehen four or five cachers have found the cache since the coords change and the 'change coords' note disappears from the first page logs.

JD

I too would find it useful for the cache data to have a time-stamp. In fact, I always thought that "Last Updated" (in the PQ specification) used such a time-stamp, but it obviously is not. It would be very useful to have this data as part of the gpx files.

I have many times seen logs that talk about suggested changes to coordiantes; if the coordiates had a time-stamp, then it would be possible to tell when the onwer last made changes in those data. And that could be useful.

But, it turned out that the description was changed this very morning and the cache has got a new place.

One night I've printed a description with a date&time-stamp.

Stamp or not.. if you don't check just before you leave, anything can happen!

Even if you check just before you leave, anything can happen. The cache owner could be sitting down at his computer to make the changes, as you're starting your car up to head to the cache...

That's part of geocaching. Log your DNF and try again later.

Geocaching isn't a guaranteed success. It's a challenge (Don't get me started). That's the point.

Jamie

Even if you check just before you leave, anything can happen. The cache owner could be sitting down at his computer to make the changes, as you're starting your car up to head to the cache...

I know.. didn't want to make it any longer.. but.. if you're lucky, the owner will still be at the cache coords doing some changes! :P:P:laughing:

One night I've printed a description with a date&time-stamp.

Right! That's normal procedure....

But it would EASY, when you can see it in the HEADER of the description.

Doesn't anyone want any kind of challenge AT ALL anymore? Get the info, go caching, find some and don't find others.

Making sure you have the lastest, up to the second information, being told exactly where to park with additional waypoints, having a "standard" as to what is lame for everyone, etc. takes away from the thrill of the hunt doesn't it?

I'd think it would be BORING to be led straight to a cache with feet and be guaranteed that you'd get your smiley every time!!