What to buy....

bumblingbs

Need recommendations for a GPSr. I don't need any bells or whistles, I am the anti-tech paper-caching Bumbling B. But, I do need a unit that can work under tree cover. If the numbers are getting smaller, I'm getting closer to the cache. That's all I know, or have ever known, and I'm fine with that. Breadcrumbs, maps? I haven't bothered to figure that out yet. But no numbers? That's a problem. I have a Garmin ETrex Venture, circa 2003. It's been a good friend, but it goes to sleep in the woods.

PS~ Money is a consideration.

Thanks in advance..

Need recommendations for a GPSr. I don't need any bells or whistles, I am the anti-tech paper-caching Bumbling B. But, I do need a unit that can work under tree cover. If the numbers are getting smaller, I'm getting closer to the cache. That's all I know, or have ever known, and I'm fine with that. Breadcrumbs, maps? I haven't bothered to figure that out yet. But no numbers? That's a problem. I have a Garmin ETrex Venture, circa 2003. It's been a good friend, but it goes to sleep in the woods.

PS~ Money is a consideration.

Thanks in advance..

Hi, good to see you are Geocaching again. Costco online has the Garmin 76CX on sale for around $330. They don't have it listed so do a search on their page and it will come up. It has the new SIRF chip and the same firmware as the 60CX. I have the 76C and paid a lot more than that for it. Good Luck Dick, W7WT

W7WT~

You need to get up this way, there's a lot of caches waiting for you. I think $330 may be a bit much to press Santa for, though. Santa is my mom, she just turned 80 and keeps asking me to take her geocaching. She gets mad when my GPSr loses reception, and has already announced that I need a new one. The one I have cost under $100 three years ago. I'd like to stay under $200 now. Again, it's just the trees. I don't download anything, no routing, no nothing. I walk, the numbers get smaller. If I walk a different direction, the numbers get bigger. that's it.

I bought my husband a coffeemaker three years ago and I don't know how to use it yet. I'll get around to it.....

Edited to say: SIRF chip? Firmware? You are so way over my head. Remember, look, the numbers are getting smaller! [:laughing:]

Edited by bumblingbs