Geocaching vs. GoogleEarth?

Hoosier_Daddy

I recently upgraded my Google Earth to the latest version (4.0.1693 beta). Ever since then, their coords haven't matched up with what my GPS shows. I tried locating a cache on GE, and the waypoint it created was almost 60 miles away from the general location I knew the cache to be in. Anyone know what's up with that? Is GE using a different datum these days? Before I upgraded, I know I was able to reliably use their coords. I would import their coords for someplace I knew I would be the next day, and search for caches in that area. Now, however, all my distances are way off. Using GE's coords, GC.com says that cache "x" is only 2 miles away, but that, in reality is much more.

Anyone got any input on this? My guess is that the new version of GE is using different datum, but I can't find any way to change it to the datum I want, or even to tell what they are using.

The present administration has determined that satellite and aerial photo sites like the terraserver and Google Earth implementations are a security threat. They've mandated all such sites to obfuscate the actual locations in accordance to Homeland Security regulations.

You will also notice large sections are blacked out. I noticed some but not all military bases, ports, and airports are simply big black boxes.

There's also a box cutter factory near here and it's blacked out as well. Go figure.

</tinfoilhat>

Good to know. Too bad though. In was wanting to upgrade my version of GE, but not if that's going to render it useless!

Edit: Hmmm. CR: does GE mention anything about this obfuscation (great word!) on thier website?

Hoosier Daddy: Just curious, are you using Google Earth, Google Earth Plus or Google Earth Pro? I'm wondering if you might have the free version, and that that might be the source of the discrepancies.

Edited by Clan Delaney

You will also notice large sections are blacked out. I noticed some but not all military bases, ports, and airports are simply big black boxes. There's also a box cutter factory near here and it's blacked out as well. Go figure.

From the tinfoil hat, I'll assume you're joking.

Considering the paranoia of the current admin, I'm actually a little surprised at what things you can examine via Google Earth. O'Hare and La Guardia airports have a great deal of detail. So does the White House, and Edwards AFB. Heck, even Area 51 is readily viewable.

Edit: Hmmm. CR: does GE mention anything about this obfuscation (great word!) on thier website?

Of course not. All of this secrecy is, well, secret. Shhh, don't tell anyone!

All kidding aside, I can't further the topic as I'm still with version 3. I've heard of issues with V4 so I've stayed exactly where I'm at. Even then, it's not exactly accurate. Many places are a hundred feet off or better. For accuracy I like USAphotomaps, but GE kicks for exploring.

What's cool is this link I found somewhere: http://www.3dsolar.com/ge/3dsolar.php

Plug that into GE and it will give you a few options one of which is terraserver images like USAphotomaps. You can then see the differences in the google images.

All kidding aside, I can't further the topic as I'm still with version 3. I've heard of issues with V4 so I've stayed exactly where I'm at. Even then, it's not exactly accurate. Many places are a hundred feet off or better. For accuracy I like USAphotomaps, but GE kicks for exploring.

What's cool is this link I found somewhere: http://www.3dsolar.com/ge/3dsolar.php

Plug that into GE and it will give you a few options one of which is terraserver images like USAphotomaps. You can then see the differences in the google images.

Now THAT is one cool link. Thanks.

I'm in the same boat now with not wanting to upgrade from v3 to v4, just incase I lose any functionality. Though, I am tempted to try.

I am using the free version of GE. If what you say about GE trying to mess around with the coords is true, then I am in trouble. See, I am a surveyor, and everyday, I am somewhere different. I had been using GE successfully to get coords from where I was going to be the next day, and search for caches in the area to hit on my lunch break. This is no longer the case since I updated to the new beta version.

This seems to be a shortfall with GC.com's search engine, in that it is great for searching for caches near my home, or near another cache, but how can I search for caches in a totally new area to me now that GE can't give me good true coords?

Edited by Hoosier_Daddy

I am using the free version of GE. If what you say about GE trying to mess around with the coords is true, then I am in trouble. See, I am a surveyor, and everyday, I am somewhere different. I had been using GE successfully to get coords from where I was going to be the next day, and search for caches in the area to hit on my lunch break. This is no longer the case since I updated to the new beta version.

This seems to be a shortfall with GC.com's search engine, in that it is great for searching for caches near my home, or near another cache, but how can I search for caches in a totally new area to me now that GE can't give me good true coords?

Are you using the GC.com network KML for GE? That "plugin" that allows you to search for caches from within GE? FWIW, caches returned using that feature never appear where they actually are, though I've never known them to be off by 60 miles.

I thought CR was kidding.

The Google Maps website photos and the old version of Google Earth are still right on the money as far as I can see. If there really was a legal sanction those'd have to be obfuscated as well.

I *just* upgraded to V4 tonight and caches that I just looked at yesterday are now showing *completely* wrong, using the GE KML files. There's one boat-needed cache near here that is now showing in the middle of the field.

I hope it's just a glitch that will be worked out. I also wish I'd read this thread before I downloaded V4, not after.

Edited by parker313