need advice which unit to buy...

lostinjersey

So my wifes birthday is coming up. Quick. And she just started a new job as a sales rep that has her driving all over creation. So the obvious thing to do is get her a dashboard moutned gps w/audible turn by turn directions... but which one?

For once Google has failed me. I really couldn't find any decent comparrison reviews, and with so many to choose from... it was hard, but I finally found that 4 highly recommended models are the Lowrance iWay 500c ($550) TomTom Go300 ($500) Magellan Roadmate 700 ($425-500) and the Streetpilot I3 and I5 for $275-325.

EDIT: I also see the Nuvi 350 which is around $600. looks really good but also is expensive.

The I3 and I5 clearlt win on price, and since all have audible turn by turn directions... it would appear to be the way to go. Does anyone have any experience with these models? Any comments pro or con? Any one know of any good reviews or more importantly comparrisons? Or think there's a better unit to get?

Edited by lostinjersey

You mention all overe the place. That should be taken in consideration. Some units you have to laod the areas you are going to. Others have the whole USA in them. Also a Garmin person mentioned to watch the types of drives. Some are mechanical and some are flash (no moving parts). He actually asked what tyepe of car did my daughter have (she is starting the accounting world soon) because of the vibration.

I have the RoadMate 760 (upgraded from a 700) a Garmin 2720 and a Garmin 330c.

The RoadMate is great, has the whole USA on it but a mechanical hard drive.

I decided on the 2720 (sweet unit) has a beanbag mount that sits on the dashboard, flash drive, whole USA and a few other tricks.

My daughter has the 330c (graduation present) and loves it. Simple, flash drive, whole USA, speaks and is smaller which she wanted.

Only suggestion after having these: flash drive and the whole USA and one that speaks

Ed

Consider a Garmin Quest for about $335 or Quest 2 for about $525. They are easy to use, give voice guidance in the car, work fine as a hand-held for caching or out of vehicle travel, and they include current detailed US and Canadian maps. For more money, you can get some new and fancy features like voice synthesis and look-down viewing, but a Quest will do everything your wife would need, and give the hand-held option no other talking unit offers.

Consider a Garmin Quest for about $335 or Quest 2 for about $525. They are easy to use, give voice guidance in the car, work fine as a hand-held for caching or out of vehicle travel, and they include current detailed US and Canadian maps. For more money, you can get some new and fancy features like voice synthesis and look-down viewing, but a Quest will do everything your wife would need, and give the hand-held option no other talking unit offers.

I say ditto on the Quest models. They do what you need, are easily moved from vehicle to vehicle and are light enough to use as a handheld if you choose get out and walk around town.

I've been using in-vehicle gps since the original b/w Garmin StreetPilot. They all work and will get you where you want to go. For me, screen size is currently the most important factor, so I'm now using the Lowrance Iway 500c - and I love that big screen. It's a touch sensitive screen and completely customizable, so a quick glance tells all. I do wish the Lowrance could find itself as quickly as my Garmin 60csx with the new SIRF chipset - soon they all will be that fast.

I have owned the Garmin i3 for 11 months now without a problem and do love it. I did upgrade the microSD card to hold more map memory but can't contain the entire US (about 1/3 short) on a 512 card. (It came with a 128 mg card) So I purchased the i5 for my mother who travels a lot in an automobile but doesn't like the technology of having to loading the state maps she wants to use etc., (i5 comes with US pre-loaded) Her's has worked perfectly as well. So they've worked great in an automobile but don't ask them to do geocaching. The work for an address only but not Long & lat. If it's only for driving - they're small, reliable, simple and inexpensive. A++ for i5 now below $300 in most places.

>So my wifes birthday is coming up. Quick. And she just started a new job as a sales rep that has her driving all over creation. So the obvious thing to do is get her a dashboard moutned gps w/audible turn by turn directions... but which one?<

>The I3 and I5 clearlt win on price, and since all have audible turn by turn directions... it would appear to be the way to go. Does anyone have any experience with these models? Any comments pro or con? Any one know of any good reviews or more importantly comparrisons? Or think there's a better unit to get?

<