Cool manmade features

sTeamTraen

A friend of mine from NZ tells me that is Mt. Taranaki, a dormant volcano. The circle is a natural result of the volcano's own solidified ash.

Now I'm curious. The news article where I found the location said that the park boundary is nearly a perfect circle. (The planners simply found the 'center' of the mountain and made a circle around it.) The article claims that the color change you can see is a result of different vegetation growing on each side. Inside the park is natural growth, and outside has been altered by agriculture.

Jamie

A friend of mine from NZ tells me that is Mt. Taranaki, a dormant volcano. The circle is a natural result of the volcano's own solidified ash.

Now I'm curious. The news article where I found the location said that the park boundary is nearly a perfect circle. (The planners simply found the 'center' of the mountain and made a circle around it.) The article claims that the color change you can see is a result of different vegetation growing on each side. Inside the park is natural growth, and outside has been altered by agriculture.

Jamie

I'm just passing along what he told me, and he lives there.

Edited by The5Xplorers

Jamie

I'm just passing along what he told me, and he lives there.

Looks to me like differences in vegetation. If you notice, to the NW of the snowcapped peak are two smaller peaks which have the same vegetative cover. It would make sense to me that the nearly perfect circle would be due to a person setting a boundary relative the center of the peak. That same vegetation also peeks out from that circle in a few spots in what appear to be drainages, which would be too steep for agriculture more than likely. Furthermore, if you switch to the Map view of that image, you will see in green, the same forested area marked as the Egmont National Park.

burning man, just the tracks from the roads that people had left in the dessert for a temporary city for a week.. fantastic!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.1">

<Placemark>

<name>Burning Man, Gerlach, NV, USA</name>

<open>1</open>

<description><![CDATA[<a href="http://perljam.net/google-satellite-maps/id/1358">(sightseeing info)</a>]]></description>

<LookAt>

<longitude>-119.234619</longitude>

<latitude>40.746918</latitude>

<altitude>0</altitude>

<range>9000</range>

<tilt>0</tilt>

<heading>0</heading>

</LookAt>

<styleUrl>root://styleMaps#default+nicon=0x307+hicon=0x317</styleUrl>

<Point>

<altitudeMode>relativeToGround</altitudeMode>

<coordinates>-119.234619,40.746918,0</coordinates>

</Point>

</Placemark>

</kml>

sorry guys, cant get this right..

otherwise check out: http://perljam.net/google-satellite-maps/i...ach/Burning_Man

Weel that is one of the strangest things you will find here in the state of wierd-nothingness

This is Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. They are making many island/peninsula communities to expand their shoreline. I believe there is a few more in the making for this country. Too bad it is destroying shoreline ecosystem.

Also the last islands to the north east are known as "The World".

Sorry do not know how to post pictures. Paste these coords in google earth.

25 08' 19.74" N 55 07' 57.88" E

Edited by mcgrath4u