Cool manmade features

sTeamTraen

in the mentioned period they had also put up this cross which was big at the time in a forest in germany or austria. cant recall which.. seems to be something people just like to do, put up huge signs of what they believe in..

Well, sure.. but Studebaker? :unsure:

(Edit: did some research. The Studebaker company themselves did this in the 1960's or so. I guess this was where their head office was at or something. At the time it was considered the world's largest living sign.)

In this age of satellite photography and Google Earth, I am wondering how long it will be before businesses paint logos or ads on their rooftops. When you look at your local Wal Mart or Home Depot from space, all you see is a big white rectangle. But a bit of orange or blue paint, and ...

Edited by GreyingJay

Studebakers were actually made in South Bend IN. The plant was about 20 miles east of these trees. The trees were planted at the headquarters and proving grounds. Of course Studebakers are not made any more, but area still has a test track for testing new vehicles and some proto types of cars and trucks.

Thanks for posting the pic for me. I will have to learn how to do that.

In this age of satellite photography and Google Earth, I am wondering how long it will be before businesses paint logos or ads on their rooftops. When you look at your local Wal Mart or Home Depot from space, all you see is a big white rectangle. But a bit of orange or blue paint, and ...

I'm actually suprised it's not already common. Especially in areas near airports.

Just a question - How do people just happen to find these unusual images? Without knowing where to look for it I would have never spotted that.

Finding this one was just that, just happen to find it while cruising over Peru. Peru really has an alien like landscape when viewed from above, lots of wierd stuff and strange layouts.

burning man, just the tracks from the roads that people had left in the dessert for a temporary city for a week.. fantastic!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.1">

<Placemark>

<name>Burning Man, Gerlach, NV, USA</name>

<open>1</open>

<description><![CDATA[<a href="http://perljam.net/google-satellite-maps/id/1358">(sightseeing info)</a>]]></description>

<LookAt>

<longitude>-119.234619</longitude>

<latitude>40.746918</latitude>

<altitude>0</altitude>

<range>9000</range>

<tilt>0</tilt>

<heading>0</heading>

</LookAt>

<styleUrl>root://styleMaps#default+nicon=0x307+hicon=0x317</styleUrl>

<Point>

<altitudeMode>relativeToGround</altitudeMode>

<coordinates>-119.234619,40.746918,0</coordinates>

</Point>

</Placemark>

</kml>

sorry guys, cant get this right..

otherwise check out: http://perljam.net/google-satellite-maps/i...ach/Burning_Man

The annoying part is that on various occasions I tried to see the Nazca lines in Peru with google Maps, but couldn't locate 'em ever. Anyone have any luck finding those?

They are between Nazca and Pampas Peru.

nazca.jpg

nazca2.jpg

A plane flying over the Lines:

nazca3.jpg

An animal of some sort:

nazca4.jpg

The condor, wings out to the left and right, tail towards the top

nazca5.jpg

Hummingbird, long beak pointing up:

nazca6.jpg

Parrot, circular beak is to the left:

nazca7.jpg

Hands, fingers pointing down and left:

nazca8.jpg

I darkened some of these up so the lines are easier to see.

(Amazing what you can find when you can sleep! I'll see what else I can turn up)

(edited to add photos)

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs

But what is it? I tried translating the cache page usning AltaVista's Babel Fish feature, but still couldn't figure out what just what the heck the thing is. :huh:

The Place is a "Schanze", probably dating from the late 18 century.

"Schanze" is a German word for a sconce or a fort which is part of a fortress. This is the reason why it is shape d like a Star of David. If someone tries to attack one wall the attacker can be counterattacked from that and at least on other wall.

There are lots of forts like this in the US. (Fort Morgan, south of Mobile, AL)

GermanSailor