Download with Mac OS 10.2.8

roderunr

Chamberlyn's computer is a Mac (iBook G4), running some variant of MacOS X (10.2? 10.4? Who knows?), and we've had the absolute dickens of a time getting that to work with anything GPS-related. There is a joke, that I believe has a great deal of truth to it, that goes: if Microsoft and Apple made cars, Apple would make a car that was powered by tap water, got 185 miles per gallon, had zero emissions, and had an oustanding safety record ... but it would only work on about 5% of the world's roads.

The problem may be something to do with the browser you're using. Are you using Safari? IE for Mac? We use Firefox, and it works for us.

Of course, there is always the possibility -- and you must excuse me for even suggesting this; I mean no disrespect -- that you are clicking on the "Read about waypoint downloads" link, not on the .loc download link. On my computer (a WinXP) the links for the waypoint downloads don't change to underlined when you mouse over them, so you may be just clicking on the wrong spot.

You may also not have accepted the Groundspeak boilerplate disclaimer license agreement something or other.

I have no problem with the downloading of WP's. It's the actual uploading of GPX files to my Magellan that I am having issues with. I apologize for not being clearer. I have tried GPS Baybel but it's not working that well for me. It's finding a way to upload the info from the Pocket Queries to my GPS while using a MAC that I am looking for. But I appreciate the the feedback so far.

Edited by Jbird24

I have no problem with the downloading of WP's. It's the actual uploading of GPX files to my Magellan that I am having issues with. I apologize for not being clearer. I have tried GPS Baybel but it's not working that well for me. It's finding a way to upload the info from the Pocket Queries to my GPS while using a MAC that I am looking for. But I appreciate the the feedback so far.

Check out Mac GPS Pro. You'll have to fork out some cash but they have support for most GPS units, I'm using a Vista Cx with USB connection and it works pretty good. It crashes once in a while but a simple restart does the trick. You can also get topos through them for the Mac.

Chamberlyn's computer is a Mac (iBook G4), running some variant of MacOS X (10.2? 10.4? Who knows?), and we've had the absolute dickens of a time getting that to work with anything GPS-related. There is a joke, that I believe has a great deal of truth to it, that goes: if Microsoft and Apple made cars, Apple would make a car that was powered by tap water, got 185 miles per gallon, had zero emissions, and had an oustanding safety record ... but it would only work on about 5% of the world's roads.

The problem may be something to do with the browser you're using. Are you using Safari? IE for Mac? We use Firefox, and it works for us.

Of course, there is always the possibility -- and you must excuse me for even suggesting this; I mean no disrespect -- that you are clicking on the "Read about waypoint downloads" link, not on the .loc download link. On my computer (a WinXP) the links for the waypoint downloads don't change to underlined when you mouse over them, so you may be just clicking on the wrong spot.

You may also not have accepted the Groundspeak boilerplate disclaimer license agreement something or other.

To check what System you are running on your Mac, click on the apple and click on "About This Mac" and it should tell you what version you are running. It is probably greater than 10.2.8. I've found that I can't do a lot of thing without system 10.3 or better.

I've tried four different browsers and they all do the same thing. Netscape, Safari, Internet Explorer & Firefox. The next thing I'm thinking it may be my satellite system I'm using (Direcway). We are moving in a couple week and will have DSL there so hope it works there.

I know I'm clicking on the "Download" icon. My computer dosen't change to underlined when I move the mouse over the "Download" icon, it does when I'm over the "Read about" location.

I did accept the license agreement when I signed up. I'm still looking for someone who is using OS 10.2.8.

roderunr

Is there anyone out there that downloads Geo Caches with a Mac running OS 10.2.8? I've tried everything and can't make it work. I get the "Read about waypoints downloads" page everytime. I've tried a number of different caches, always get the same thing. No downloads!

roderunr

We have a couple of Macs and we have found that you need to have OS 10.4 or newer on your Mac in order to download waypoints to your machine. There are a couple of different shareware/freeware programs that will do it as long as you have 10.4

I don't think the OP has said what GPS they have, but the USB Garmins require at least 10.3.8 or so in order to have a USB stack that works around Garmin USB non-conformance. (That may have changed in more current firmware as they have been making them more compliant, but few s/w vendors are going to be interested in backtesting such things.)

My money says you don't have a version-specific or even Mac-specific problem; there is a problem in your registration at the site. We've seen before where someone thinks they've accepted the TOS agreement, but something gets stuck in their profile that requires an admin to unwedge.

I am using a Magellan Explorist 400. I am running OS X 10.3.9. I have downloaded and tried using GpsBabel to load files from my PQ's. When I use Baybel I am Selecting the GPX file from my PQ and telling Baybel that the "input file type" is is a GPX XML the output is "Magellan SD files (as for explorist)." When I save file I then drag and drop the newly created file to the SD card I end up with no information loaded at all. What am I doing wrong?? By the way I appreciate all of the help/ info so far from everyone. Thanks. :laughing:

Is "Baybel" really "GPSBabel"? If so, that's the worst spelling of that I've seen to date...

If you look in the SD file, does it contain a bunch of lines that start $PMGNWPL ? When you say you get "no information at all" does that mean the files are empty, they're malformed, or that the GPS isn't displaying anything after you've selected these files in active setup?

Yes, the SD file does contain a bunch of info that starts with $PMGNWPL. The GPS does not display anything after I load the file and select it. "GPSBabel" I never really payed that much attention to the name I just wanted it to work. Now I know and can spell it for all to see!

I am using a Magellan Explorist 400. I am running OS X 10.3.9. I have downloaded and tried using GpsBabel to load files from my PQ's. When I use Baybel I am Selecting the GPX file from my PQ and telling Baybel that the "input file type" is is a GPX XML the output is "Magellan SD files (as for explorist)." When I save file I then drag and drop the newly created file to the SD card I end up with no information loaded at all. What am I doing wrong?? By the way I appreciate all of the help/ info so far from everyone. Thanks. :)

Yep, same problem I had. Like I said in my earlier post, OS 10.4 fixed this problem. I was using 10.3.7 and it didn't work. It said that it transferred but when I checked the GPS there was no waypoints on there at all.

Odd. I used an x400 on a borrowed ibook that was running 10.3.[56] and observed no wierdness at all with it; I was impressed that it just plugged in and worked. I can't recall if I'd given it back before 10.3.7 auto-updated or not.

That combination with the 60CS was pretty disasterous.

The explorist looks just like a USB disk - better still, a standards-conforming USB disk. As such, they tend to have less turbulent reactions than the Garmins that do their own protocol thing.

But I think we're having two different conversations here. One is about a user that can't download waypoints from gc.com. The other is the Explorist thing.

I've tried four different browsers and they all do the same thing. Netscape, Safari, Internet Explorer & Firefox. The next thing I'm thinking it may be my satellite system I'm using (Direcway). We are moving in a couple week and will have DSL there so hope it works there.

roderunr

And what exactly is "the same thing?" What behavior do you get when you try to download? Are you logged in when you try to download?

I have one computer at home running 10.2.8. I'll try to dl a loc file when I get home from work and see what happens.

Andy

Is there anyone out there that downloads Geo Caches with a Mac running OS 10.2.8? I've tried everything and can't make it work. I get the "Read about waypoints downloads" page everytime. I've tried a number of different caches, always get the same thing. No downloads!

roderunr

We have a couple of Macs and we have found that you need to have OS 10.4 or newer on your Mac in order to download waypoints to your machine. There are a couple of different shareware/freeware programs that will do it as long as you have 10.4

Thanks for the reply, I plan on buying a new Mac this fall so I guess I'll just have to load them manually until then. Thanks Again!!

roderunr

The following is from Paperless with a Mac. I have had no problems with my Legend C but I am running 10.3.9

New computer comes next week. :unsure:

NOTE: The new USB Garmins have introduced new issues with connectivity. Success with Garmin USB is predicated upon two things: current device firmware and OS/X 10.3.8 or newer. OS X version 10.3.8 and all versions of 10.4 added a workaround to compensate for the Garmins not responding correctly to device enumeration. This allowed the Garmins to work intermittently. In the middle of 2005, Garmin released firmware updates that improved their USB behaviour as seen by OS/X. The required version varies from model to model; just update to the latest. If you have a version older than summer of 2005, you will almost certainly need to update. Until Garmin releases a firmware updater that works on OS/X, you will need to do this update from a Windows system. (Info lifted from GPSBabel website)

Paperless with a Mac

I'm running Mac OS 10.2.8 on an ibook G3/500 and G3/900.

I've had no problems downloading a file by clicking on the download icon, or tranfers in/out of my units.

I've used both Safari, IE, and I think I tried it in Firefox, as well.

My bad.

I have had no problems loading waypoints onto our eTrex Legend with the two year old firmware using OS 10.3.7 but when I tried to transfer waypoints to the new Garmin 60Cx I ran into problems. Then I switched to our other computer that uses 10.4 and it worked.