"Calling Cards"

Lovin'Life

I have heard of a few cachers who have created business type 'calling cards'. Someone recently showed me theirs, but I did not think to ask them HOW they made it.

Could someone tell me how to go about this. Where do I get the logo? If you have one you made, could you share an image or tell me what it says? (for ideas) I am thinking on making some that serve to 'quickly' introduce myself & explain what I am doing (geocaching) Plus, I have often wished I had a business card to drop in those 'drop your card here & win a free lunch' type boxes. This would serve that purpose also.

Thanks!

I have heard of a few cachers who have created business type 'calling cards'. Someone recently showed me theirs, but I did not think to ask them HOW they made it.

Could someone tell me how to go about this. Where do I get the logo? If you have one you made, could you share an image or tell me what it says? (for ideas) I am thinking on making some that serve to 'quickly' introduce myself & explain what I am doing (geocaching) Plus, I have often wished I had a business card to drop in those 'drop your card here & win a free lunch' type boxes. This would serve that purpose also.

Thanks!

Please don't...it just adds trash to a cache.

I'm sure you're talking about a signature item. I like them as long as they are laminated. I collect sig items and have a few of these cards, I like seeing how people have personalized them. I'm planning on making my own someday.

Some of my friends that have made some nice ones:

New England n00b

Pyewacket

WascoZooKeeper

TotemLake

Here are some sig items of friends, including cards:

ab1297b7-dc4e-4e71-b76c-ef4cc7cdc1d9.jpg

Edited by Ambrosia

There are any number of business card design programs out there. I believe I used Microsoft Publisher for a while before I upgraded computers. My niece and nephew do some pretty amazing things with a commercial "print shop" type program. Check out this link: http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/ for free software to do the same.

Also, I have used http://www.vistaprint.com/ for business cards which you can design online. Remember, if you put it in a cache and it's not laminated, it won't last long.

Yes, you can make business cards with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Publisher, Adobe Photoshop, Broderbunds Printmaster and many other commercial software packages. I've found and use a FREE piece of software from Avery Dennison who makes business card sheets and labels.

DesignPro Limited is easy to use software that will do almost any type of business card that can be printed on a standard printer. It can even number the cards if you want to count the number of caches you've found. It is "Limited" because it doesn't have a full range of graphics. But, you can import any standard graphic picture into the software and then resize it to fit the card. Find a picture on a website, right-click on it, and save that picture to use on your card. Be sure to obey the copyright laws when you reuse graphics. For personal use, it shouldn't be a problem.

BTW, the DesignPro software, on CD, is sometimes included in packages of Avery labels but I've never seen it in a business card package.

Business cards printed on inkjet printers will fade and run when damp. Laminte them, or spray paint the sheet with acrylic clearcoat before separating the cards. I prefer a matte finish and spary both sides. Having a color laser printer would make beter cards.

The Vistaprint cards are professionaly printed but the image sleection is very limited. They also have a small ad for Vistaprint on the back of each card. But, they are free.

Thanks!

I have to agree with Gobolts. It's not much fun to open up the bag that contains the logbook and have all of the sig cards falling out, most of them are printed on an inkjet printer which does not produce waterproof results. Sig cards seem to be an attempt to be "unique like everyone else."

Sorry to sound so negative. I would suggest channeling your creativity into creating an interesting cache container.

Edited by ADKcache

Thanks!

Ditto ditto!

Thanks!

I have to agree with Gobolts. It's not much fun to open up the bag that contains the logbook and have all of the sig cards falling out, most of them are printed on an inkjet printer which does not produce waterproof results. Sig cards seem to be an attempt to be "unique like everyone else."

Sorry to sound so negative. I would suggest channeling your creativity into creating an interesting cache container.

That's why it's good to laminate them. :laughing: I don't see them as "an attempt to be "unique like everyone else." Each one has the name of the cacher/cache team, and then something that is special to them. A lot have a picture of the cachers. I think it's a wonderful way to see more into the personalities and lives of who's been to the cache before us. That's what makes this sport so special. :laughing:

Thanks!

I hope you do make one, I love sig items. It's the only thing I'll trade for anymore.

(I've seen trash in caches and a little 2x3 personalized card ain't the real trash)

I need to get off my butt and finish making a scroll-saw puzzle for mine.

Also, I have used http://www.vistaprint.com/ for business cards which you can design online.

I was going to try vistaprint until I saw this:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/vistaprint.html

Beware

Interesting... I have used VistaPrint 3 times, each with good results. Right Product, timely shipping and no bogus charges.

You can also buy (office depot, Staples, etc) business card sheets and print them yourself on your PC.

good luck!

ww/lw/tw

As one of teh mentionees (Hi Apple-lady!), I'll chime in wit how I do mine:

I use AveryDennisons DesignPro, which has been said - it's free. I also use GIMP 2 for graphics editing. It is free as well.

So, once I know what I want on my card, I use a business card template found in teh software (and usually on teh box of card paper you buy). Add teh graphics and text, color laser print, cut and laminate. LAMINATE. Did I mention I LAMINATED them? My local copy shop has business card sized laminate plastic, makes for perfect round corners.

My cards are all double sided, which means I have to use lightweight card paper, not the precut card sheets, which kinda stinks. If you do a double-sided laser print card, DO NOT USE THE PRECUT CARD SHEETS. The toner will not stick to one side well, and falls right off, making one heckuva mess. Because I print on regular lightwieght cardstock, I have to use a paper cutter to get them down to size. I get 10 to a sheet. If you are going single sided, just use the cool precut sheets. Also, I do not know how inkjets work when doing double sided cards, as I have never used that. I don't like teh way they come out.

Since teh software allows me to put 10 on a sheet, I decided to make a series of 10 cards, so people could collect them if they were so inclined. :unsure: It was fun though.

If you have any questions I can help with, please feel free to PM me. :unsure:

Oh yeah - and don't forget to laminate. ;)

As one of teh mentionees (Hi Apple-lady!), I'll chime in wit how I do mine:

I use AveryDennisons DesignPro, which has been said - it's free. I also use GIMP 2 for graphics editing. It is free as well.

So, once I know what I want on my card, I use a business card template found in teh software (and usually on teh box of card paper you buy). Add teh graphics and text, color laser print, cut and laminate. LAMINATE. Did I mention I LAMINATED them? My local copy shop has business card sized laminate plastic, makes for perfect round corners.

My cards are all double sided, which means I have to use lightweight card paper, not the precut card sheets, which kinda stinks. If you do a double-sided laser print card, DO NOT USE THE PRECUT CARD SHEETS. The toner will not stick to one side well, and falls right off, making one heckuva mess. Because I print on regular lightwieght cardstock, I have to use a paper cutter to get them down to size. I get 10 to a sheet. If you are going single sided, just use the cool precut sheets. Also, I do not know how inkjets work when doing double sided cards, as I have never used that. I don't like teh way they come out.

Since teh software allows me to put 10 on a sheet, I decided to make a series of 10 cards, so people could collect them if they were so inclined. :unsure: It was fun though.

If you have any questions I can help with, please feel free to PM me. :unsure:

Oh yeah - and don't forget to laminate. ;)

You make sure and laminate them, right? ;);)

I used Microsoft Publisher, and Avery perforated cardstock. I searched on Google Images for a good picture, then used Corel Photo-Paint to make it fit my needs, and came up with...

<----- This.

Printed it on one side, and a catch phrase on the other.

Oh, don't forget to laminate them. It keeps them from turning to trash in the cache. :D

Good Luck!!

Edited by H2OBob

Thanks!

Your terse request and statement doesn't add up. People do collect these cards.

It is important to remember the cards need to be waterproofed. There are two inexpensive methods that can be utilized.

One is lamination, but that's as good as the adhesive if you don't get your finger oil on it. If you do, then you have created your point of weakness and water will seep in.

The other is to clear coat the cards. You can get this clear coat spray at any craft store. Two or three light coats will more than adequately protect the card for months in high moisture environments.

I have two different sizes of sig items. One is the size of a regular mailing label and the other is the size of a return label. I make mine in Printshop since it has a pretty large art gallery. I DO laminate these items since I print them on paper. I have also done sig items out of shrinky dink material. I bought the material at a stationery store and cut it into 2" squares. I then stamped it with a cat paw (and later another cat-related image), wrote "3blackcats" on it and baked it! All of the writing and stamping was done in permanent ink so the items are quite water-safe.

I like signature items...please don't let the negativity keep you from having fun and expressing yourself!

Edited by 3blackcats