Map60CSx connection problem

Slower Pace

I searched all the threads, tried several suggestions, and am stumped. I loaded and ran Trip & Waypoint Manager as instructed first. Then I placed a waypoint at my home. Then I plugged in the USB cord into the computer and my GPS. I wanted to send the Home waypoint to my GPS just to learn how to do it. It says I'm not connected, but I do get power for my unit through the USB connection.

I went to the Garmin site and reloaded the USB drivers and ran the driver setup program. It still says "Not Connected"

My wife is gonna kick me out of the house if I don't tear myself away from the computer soon! Help!!

Switch USB ports on your computer and get it to redetect. Sometimes things go kinda funky, but swapping USB ports makes it see it as a new device, and automatically reloads the correct drivers.

Yes, I tried everything I can think of. I swapped USB ports. I turned the computer off and hooked the GPS up and turned it back on; it never saw it as a new drive or hardware. I went into the Hardware/USB portion of the computer report and it was not listed.

Perhaps someone can just tell me what they did to get a successful "Connected" screen on their GPS, and that may help me understand what I'm doing wrong, if anything.

If this sounds too basic I apologize, but is the unit's interface set to GARMIN under the Setup menu? It should be from the factory but anything is possible.

Yes, it is. But I understand that is only for a serial port connection anyway. But it is set to Garmin. When I click on USB Mass Storage the icon showing a GPS connected to a computer shows up on the GPS, but nothing happens. I left it like that for 15 minutes. Also, nothing shows up on the computer system tray (or anywhere else). It does not show up on My Computer as a card reader or USB flash drive does either. I was hoping it would show up as a card reader like my camera card reader does. (It is Compact Flash, not SD). But I still get power through the USB cable, because when I unplug it the GPS tells me I've lost external power.

I also downloaded the newest update of MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager (19mb). It installed itself and had a screen telling me it was installing the newest drivers also. I still can't get it to say "Connected".

Edited by Slower Pace

Slower Pace, not sure if this your problem but a while back I had a similar problem connecting with my 60C/Cx using USB that you can read in THIS thread. In particular look at Post #3. It has links to other posts with very helpful info. Hope this helps.

I read all the posts from December and January, checked my device drivers with the GPS connected, and nothing. Zilch. :)

Before I take a deep plunge, somebody stop me if I shouldn't do the following tomorrow morning if I don't get rescued: B)

1. Uninstall Trip & Waypoint Manager.

2. Unplug USB cable from port.

3. Use Norton Go-Back to August 31, the day before I received my Garmin.

4. Play like I just got it; load Trip & Waypoint Manager, then go to the Garmin website and update it.

5. Plug in USB cable, turn on GPS and see what I get?

The downside is losing all the other stuff I did since last Thursday on my computer. But backed up all the critical things anyway. Do you fellow GPS users think this is too extreme? No, and I ain't gonna reformat!

I had a very similar problem and mine was the connector going in to the back wasnt quite seated it would power the backlight but I couldnt transfer waypoints. it was so slight probably not even a 1/16 of an inch. I think it was new and it felt like it was in I even rechecked it but after the 2nd or 3rd try it went just a little bit more and thats all it took, not sure if this is your problem but its worth a shot

I searched all the threads, tried several suggestions, and am stumped. I loaded and ran Trip & Waypoint Manager as instructed first. Then I placed a waypoint at my home. Then I plugged in the USB cord into the computer and my GPS. I wanted to send the Home waypoint to my GPS just to learn how to do it. It says I'm not connected, but I do get power for my unit through the USB connection.

I went to the Garmin site and reloaded the USB drivers and ran the driver setup program. It still says "Not Connected"

My wife is gonna kick me out of the house if I don't tear myself away from the computer soon! Help!!

OK, I've narrowed the problem down, but I still need guidance. When I run Trip & Waypoint manager, click on Help, About MapSource, there is a box entitled "USB Driver Versions". I click on it and it says "No USB drivers Installed."

What gives? I uninstalled the program and reloaded it. No dice. The envelope for the CD says "Includes USB device drivers and MapSource."

How do I go about installing the drivers? I even downloaded new drivers from Garmin, and ran the installer; I thougt I did anyhow. So how do I get the computer to use them? While waiting for a reply I'll update the Waypoint manager on the Garmin site and try to re-install the drivers. I'll be back... :)

Don't bother with Trip and Waypoint Manager, uninstall it and get GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) instead.

As far as your USB drivers, as far as I can tell the Garmin USB .exe file doesn't actually install the drivers, but appears to create a USB Drivers folder which contains the drivers. You can load these manually:

- Right click on My Computer, select Properties, select Hardware, select Device Manager. You should see "GARMIN Devices" in the Device Manager window.

- Expand it, right click on "Garmin USB GPS", and select "Update Driver".

- Select "No, not this time" and click Next.

- Click "Install from a list or a specific location".

- Select "Don't Search, ...". You should now see a window where "Garmin USB GPS" is shown.

- Click "Have Disk" and then Browse to either:

c:\Program Files\Garmin\USB_Drivers OR

c:\Garmin\USB_Drivers

You should see at least one .inf file in the directory. Select the one that is the newest (change the view to "Details") or grmsusb.inf and click Open, then click OK.

This should install the driver and your USB connection should now work.

Don't bother with Trip and Waypoint Manager, uninstall it and get GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) instead.

As far as your USB drivers, as far as I can tell the Garmin USB .exe file doesn't actually install the drivers, but appears to create a USB Drivers folder which contains the drivers. You can load these manually:

- Right click on My Computer, select Properties, select Hardware, select Device Manager. You should see "GARMIN Devices" in the Device Manager window.

- Expand it, right click on "Garmin USB GPS", and select "Update Driver".

- Select "No, not this time" and click Next.

- Click "Install from a list or a specific location".

- Select "Don't Search, ...". You should now see a window where "Garmin USB GPS" is shown.

- Click "Have Disk" and then Browse to either:

c:\Program Files\Garmin\USB_Drivers OR

c:\Garmin\USB_Drivers

You should see at least one .inf file in the directory. Select the one that is the newest (change the view to "Details") or grmsusb.inf and click Open, then click OK.

This should install the driver and your USB connection should now work.

I did as you said, but the Device Manager does not have "Garmin Devices". I expanded everything and it is not present. I do have a Garmin folder on the C drive, and it does have a USB_Drivers folder. I updated the Trip & Waypoint Manager (20mb), and the USB folder has 10 files: grmn0200 Setup information; grmn0400 Setup information; grmn1200 System file; grmnusb Setup information; License Text document; grmn0200 System file; grmn0400 System file; grmngen System file; grmnusb System file; wdmstub System file.

The setup files have an "install" line when I click on Properties. I tried that but the GPS still will not work. I do not have an ".ini" file in the USB folder. Please continue to help me if you can!

Edited by Slower Pace

:wub:

Here it is almost a month later. Garmin worked with me over the phone for 1 hour and 45 minutes to get the unit to connect. An error code 10 kept showing up. He said my computer chipset may be too old to run the new software/hardware connection. So I had a new computer built, picked it up yesterday, and Yes!! :wub: I have it up and running now. I even downloaded the newest software upgrades and installed them on the unit. It now tells me I have software version 3.00; GPS software version 2.70. I'll have to say, the technician at Garmin was quite patient with me, as we tried every trick in his book to get it to connect. So if you have a similar problem it may be you need a newer computer.

Edited by Slower Pace