SlabyFam

OK here it goes you hide a cache,

then you get it published,

then you go find it and sign the log FTF

Check this out

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...51-ffe9c854e930

It's a bit bizarre. The log says:

outlaw 2 got me started bought a gps and this was my FTF

It looks to me like this is how it went down...

You hide a cache,

You tell your brother where it is.

He finds it

Then he logs it under your account

:huh:

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

I've heard of cases where one member of a geocaching team hid a cache and the other had a legitimate find on it. But since they have only a team name it appears to the puritans that someone logged a find on their own cache. I suspect this is a legitimate FTF on a cache (dad found son's cache or visa versa) and was simply logged this way because they are sharing geocaching account for the time being.

OK here it goes you hide a cache,

then you get it published,

then you go find it and sign the log FTF

Check this out

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...51-ffe9c854e930

It's a bit bizarre. The log says:

outlaw 2 got me started bought a gps and this was my FTF

It looks to me like this is how it went down...

You hide a cache,

You tell your brother where it is.

He finds it

Then he logs it under your account

:D

Man that is funny as heck! SlabyFam and Sliderule both chiming in on the log!

When I first started caching, I did all my hunts with my Brian - Team A.I. He had created his account first and we logged all of our hunts under that account. Later, when I started to find caches on my own (I finally got my own GPS), I created a new account and went back through his logs and added my own logs to each find. When I would go out on caching trips with him we'd go back to the closest house and log our finds. We were really careful about logging each other out before logging our own finds, but not everyone remembers to log out.

When I started to place my own caches, I had Brian test my puzzle cache. He took the FTF log claim, but left the prize for the next cacher.

Edited by Jake - Team A.I.

When I first started caching, I did all my hunts with my Brian - Team A.I. He had created his account first and we logged all of our hunts under that account. Later, when I started to find caches on my own (I finally got my own GPS), I created a new account and went back through his logs and added my own logs to each find. When I would go out on caching trips with him we'd go back to the closest house and log our finds. We were really careful about logging each other out before logging our own finds, but not everyone remembers to log out.

When I started to place my own caches, I had Brian test my puzzle cache. He took the FTF log claim, but left the prize for the next cacher.

That is called a "Beta Tester" and should not logged as FTF but as "Beta Tester". The excepted way of doing this is to sign the log (Beta test only not FTF) so the real FTF knows they are the FTF. Also the excepted way is to NOT log a find on-line until after the FTF has logged it...the reason is that it remains as "un-found" until then.

That is called a "Beta Tester" and should not logged as FTF but as "Beta Tester". The excepted way of doing this is to sign the log (Beta test only not FTF) so the real FTF knows they are the FTF. Also the excepted way is to NOT log a find on-line until after the FTF has logged it...the reason is that it remains as "un-found" until then.

HERE! HERE! :blink: The Cache police have spoken :DB)B)

PS, That is the way it is done.

OK, now let's let the grammar police chime in...

I believe you meant "the accepted" way of doing things. Unless of course you were trying to say that it isn't the norm, then "excepted" would work, since you are talking about an exception to a rule. :blink:

On a serious note...

C'mon gang, we are obviously dealing with a new cacher here. Do you really want to beat on this issue so much that you discourage someone from staying with our hobby?

Now that I go back and read the log, I'm not really sure he even knew what was meant by FTF.

It is possible that he just meant to say it was his first find.

Sheesh, give it a rest...

(And go back and delete negative logs.)

Sorry, I'm in a bit of a pissy mood since I have been working on a hot project all weekend!

I believe you meant "the accepted" way of doing things. Unless of course you were trying to say that it isn't the norm, then "excepted" would work, since you are talking about an exception to a rule. :blink: quote]

Is the accepted way better then doing what is excepted? :DB)B)

I doubt if Outlay2 even reads these threads. So what the heck, get it off your chest. That's the fun of the threads

I believe you meant "the accepted" way of doing things. Unless of course you were trying to say that it isn't the norm, then "excepted" would work, since you are talking about an exception to a rule. B) quote]

Is the accepted way better then doing what is excepted? :blink::DB)

I doubt if Outlay2 even reads these threads. So what the heck, get it off your chest. That's the fun of the threads

Yes were all hot from the weather so boys go to your corner's get a cold glass of water and relax, i'm sure there will be a new topic to discuss soon :D

I have been caching for almost three years now and have never seen (or heard) the term "Beta Tester" used in Geocaching. I have a little over 900 finds and would have thought I would have seen that phrase by now. I kind of like the idea, but again, I have never seen it used before. (Nor have I found this reference anywhere in the Geo-rules).

So I am not sure that it is the "accepted" way, considering we (and many other seasoned cachers that I know) have never even heard of this before. But hey, I am willing to "accept" it that way! :P

No big deal either way though! :P

Edited by Sanruft

I have been caching for almost three years now and have never seen (or heard) the term "Beta Tester" used in Geocaching. I have a little over 900 finds and would have thought I would have seen that phrase by now. I kind of like the idea, but again, I have never seen it used before. (Nor have I found this reference anywhere in the Geo-rules).

So I am not sure that it is the "accepted" way, considering we (and many other seasoned cachers that I know) have never even heard of this before. But hey, I am willing to "accept" it that way! :P

No big deal either way though! :angry:

last weekend I placed four Caches out in Ocotillo Wells Team Fatman was along for all and Team Geogeeks was along for one. They signed the logs as Beta Testers, :angry: They were there ,they know were the Cache is. They won't log their Beta Test until the FTF has logged in.. Why go back to a Cache you were with when placed? :P I think this is a San Diego thing, that most agree to.

So I am not sure that it is the "accepted" way, considering we (and many other seasoned cachers that I know) have never even heard of this before. But hey, I am willing to "accept" it that way! :tired:

No big deal either way though! :laughing:

last weekend I placed four Caches out in Ocotillo Wells Team Fatman was along for all and Team Geogeeks was along for one. They signed the logs as Beta Testers, :tired: They were there ,they know were the Cache is. They won't log their Beta Test until the FTF has logged in.. Why go back to a Cache you were with when placed? :laughing: I think this is a San Diego thing, that most agree to.

See now, even here in good ole SD we have different ideas about this.

For me, beta testing is when someone gives you the numbers to their hide before it is listed. Maybe they want you to run through it and check their numbers or something. Since I go out and find it, I log it as a beta tester since it's not fair to claim FTF when it isn't available to the community yet.

However, if I am with someone when they hide a cache, I don't do anything. How can I claim a smiley if I didn't really find anything. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Ahh, diversity, that's what makes this place so interesting.

C4

For me, beta testing is when someone gives you the numbers to their hide before it is listed. Maybe they want you to run through it and check their numbers or something. Since I go out and find it, I log it as a beta tester since it's not fair to claim FTF when it isn't available to the community yet.

In the engineering world, beta testing is testing that is done by "friendly users" (as opposed to alpha testing -- which is testing done by testers employed and/or contracted by the company).

When I've "beta tested" caches, I did not watch where the cache was placed. I was given the cache information and had to go find the cache without help from the cache owner. The purpose was to check the cache information and also to get feedback on any additional information that might be useful to add. In return, I got to log the cache as a find(I did find it after all) -- but not as an FTF.

It does seem as if the term "beta tester" is taking on a broader meaning to include anyone that was with the cache owner when he or she placed the cache and/or participants in the placing of the cache (since the cache can have only one owner, but often caches are placed by more than one cacher.)

I'm also in San Diego and I wouldn't log a cache as found when I watched the owner place it.

I will log it if I signed the log. If I'm with cachers in the middle of a 16-mile hike, you better believe I'm going to sign the log if they place a cache! It's your choice (and/or the owners) if you want to help hide it or step away some to return and find the cache "properly".

I'm also in San Diego and I wouldn't log a cache as found when I watched the owner place it.

I will log it if I signed the log. If I'm with cachers in the middle of a 16-mile hike, you better believe I'm going to sign the log if they place a cache! It's your choice (and/or the owners) if you want to help hide it or step away some to return and find the cache "properly".

I SECOND THAT CHUY!

SlabyFam

Edited by SlabyFam

In my previous response on this thread, the only distinction I was trying to make was over the definition of "beta tester". Whether or not one signs the log or not is a separate issue.

If I happened to be there, I would sign the log and claim credit for the find (after the FTF, of couse!) -- but I prefer to step away and then actually find cache.

In my previous response on this thread, the only distinction I was trying to make was over the definition of "beta tester". Whether or not one signs the log or not is a separate issue.

If I happened to be there, I would sign the log and claim credit for the find (after the FTF, of couse!) -- but I prefer to step away and then actually find cache.

Folks that I have cached with know that I won't Beta Test a cache if I am with them when they hide it but I will go back at a later date and make the grab, even if it involves a hike or a bike ride. There are no set rules that we all follow it is just what you feel comfortable doing. I have taken credit for two puzzle caches that I would have no idea how to solve but because I was there when others found them I signed the log. Since then I have decided not to log puzzles that I didn't solve. Of course I will take as many hints as folks will give me. There are caches out there for everyone and as long as you feel comfortable with what you are doing then I say fine. Of course those Wisconsin event pocket caches are a whole other story. Everyone take care and find the caches the way you feel comfortable.

OK so "beta tester" may not be the best term…I guess I will start using the term “Co-hider”.

However comma...if you are with some one and they hide a cache...you know where they hid it.

Why come back...will you not know the second time????

Or should you never log it in the name of righteousness???

OK so "beta tester" may not be the best term…I guess I will start using the term “Co-hider”.

However comma...if you are with some one and they hide a cache...you know where they hid it.

Just my personal preference. I don't begrudge anyone who has other ways of doing things. I generally don't know where the person hid the cache as I don't follow them over the hill, or off the trail into the brush. I know the general area but would need the coords to find it without great luck. The more times I get off the couch and go looking for the caches is time much better spent. I'm listed as a co-hider on one cache but I will not log that one. Another personal preference thing. We all have our little quirks, I just happen to have more than others.

Edited by "lostguy"

Just my personal preference. I don't begrudge anyone who has other ways of doing things. I generally don't know where the person hid the cache as I don't follow them over the hill, or off the trail into the brush. I know the general area but would need the coords to find it without great luck. The more times I get off the couch and go looking for the caches is time much better spent. I'm listed as a co-hider on one cache but I will not log that one. Another personal preference thing. We all have our little quirks, I just happen to have more than others.

:anitongue:

I'm listed as a co-hider on one cache but I will not log that one. Another personal preference thing. We all have our little quirks, I just happen to have more than others.

If I take you off as co-hider, will you claim the find? :D

It has been moved, so, you don't know where we hid it.

You can find it when we get around to that BBB cache.

So I am not sure that it is the "accepted" way, considering we (and many other seasoned cachers that I know) have never even heard of this before. But hey, I am willing to "accept" it that way! :D

No big deal either way though! :D

last weekend I placed four Caches out in Ocotillo Wells Team Fatman was along for all and Team Geogeeks was along for one. They signed the logs as Beta Testers, :D They were there ,they know were the Cache is. They won't log their Beta Test until the FTF has logged in.. Why go back to a Cache you were with when placed? :D I think this is a San Diego thing, that most agree to.

See now, even here in good ole SD we have different ideas about this.

However, if I am with someone when they hide a cache, I don't do anything. How can I claim a smiley if I didn't really find anything. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Ahh, diversity, that's what makes this place so interesting.

C4

He wasn't given any hints, and he completed the puzzle. He signed the first line on the logsheet, because he completed the puzzle first. His online log acknowledged the fact that he was given a headstart and he didn't claim the FTF.

If three cachers are on a 10 mile hike and one of them places a cache along the route. Are the other two cachers allowed to sign the log as found? In the cases that I've seen, none of them claim FTF, and they may not necessarily want to be co-placers of the cache. So, why can't they sign the log while they are there? Just as in the case with my teammate testing my puzzle, they were at the location, why not sign it while they are there?

If you don't like the way others play the game, you don't HAVE to find their caches!