If not for bad luck

disenchanted

I hid my first cache, with the help of my girlfriend, Pooter2001. It was a great historical station on Route 66 with a colorful history of Lucille Hammon, the "mother of the mother road", who only died in 2000. We hid the cache and came home and submittted it. Here is what I got from the reviewer:

August 30 by Reviewer Jones (2 found)

HI,

I was checking your cache for approval when I found that this cache: (visit link) is 101 feet from your cache (amazingly enough, it was submitted just a day before yours). As is noted in the guidelines, we keep a minimum of a .1 mile (528 ft) buffer between a cache (or any stage of a multi or puzzle cache), and the posted coordinates of any other cache (including virtual caches, puzzle/mystery caches, and caches that have been temporarily disabled).

If you can move the cache farther away I would be happy to revisit this and see about approving it. Please note that exceptions to the proximity guideline can be made if the nature of terrain between the two caches makes their close proximity reasonable (for example, one cache at the base of a cliff and another at the top of it). It's a good idea to use the system's search function to confirm that there are no caches within the 1/10th mile limit before placing a cache.

From the Guidelines - (visit link)

Thank you

Reviewer Jones

So I went by there today and picked up my cache, archived it here, and back to the drawing board. On the other hand, I DID get FTF on the other cache that beat me to the punch!

I saw this just yesterday - 2 new caches on queue - same park ~200 feet apart. I could only list one, so the one on queue first. I bet they were submitted within an hour of each other. Weird. At least the cacher who had a cache to pick up knew the FTF opportunity was coming. And presumably had some familiarity with the park.

I also had a situation similar to palmetto's. The kicker is it was two newbie cachers each hiding their first cache. IIRC the GC numbers were only 3 digits apart. From what I could tell, there was no connection between the two cachers. Just simple luck in choosing two locations in the same park, about 250 feet apart.

I elected to make an exception and publish both caches, not wanting to turn off either newbie. I also figured as newbie hides, attrition would take care of one or both soon.

Well you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. It only took 4 hours and someone from 400 miles away in Southern California was emailing me and Groundspeak to complain that these caches were published too close to each other. Thankfully Groundspeak agreed with my reasoning.

I wish I could remember what caches these were. I'm curious if either or both are still active.

I also had a situation similar to palmetto's. The kicker is it was two newbie cachers each hiding their first cache. IIRC the GC numbers were only 3 digits apart. From what I could tell, there was no connection between the two cachers. Just simple luck in choosing two locations in the same park, about 250 feet apart.

I elected to make an exception and publish both caches, not wanting to turn off either newbie. I also figured as newbie hides, attrition would take care of one or both soon.

Well you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. It only took 4 hours and someone from 400 miles away in Southern California was emailing me and Groundspeak to complain that these caches were published too close to each other. Thankfully Groundspeak agreed with my reasoning.

I wish I could remember what caches these were. I'm curious if either or both are still active.

Haven't heard from you in a while. You are always welcome to reduce the workload of your peers in the area. :huh:

I ran across a puzzle cache located less than 6' from a newly published cache in Seattle, hidden on the same bench. I posted the situation in the logs, but did not e-mail Groundspeak or the regional reviewer, since it's out of my jurisdiction. Local cachers handled the problem on their own. (New one was archived)

Ah, well, it could be worse! Three of the five caches I've hidden were retracted today, due to an honest oversight. Seems they need a permit to be in the area where I placed them. I applied online for the necessary permits, now I need only wait and hope.

Bah. Sometimes following the rules is just no fun. :huh: