Cache goodies

Matrix

I suggest if you are placing the cache within a mile or two of my house some fresh, crisp £100 notes ? :D:D

Doesn't seem to matter what you start with - after a few months they are all filled with cards, McD toys, pens, badges etc. I would consider a nice FTF like a TB Dogtag and/or certificate so somebody gets something good for the effort of the FTF.

This is a problem i have thought about too, mainly the FTF prize. so my idea is to fill it with the usual range of trinkets and tat(which the kids love) but also for each of the items have a FTF prize reward.

i.e some kind of movie related trinket would equal me sending the finder 2 tickets to the cinema as a first to find prize. or a north face sticker(which i often leave) i would send the finder a north small back pack. you get what i am saying?

In a nut shell. every trinket in the cache is a prize in itself but for the first to find it also lends itself to a quality FTF prize. Also means you would need home addresses for the finder you might get someone not wanting to send that kind of info.

So what do you think?

I know it does not really answer your question, but it does not matter what you put in a cache as you will end up with a lot of old tat in the end.

We start our caches with some nice goodies we might like to find ourselves but on checking one of our caches the other day, all that was in there was a sticking plaster (someone had swapped it for a nice toy that was in the cache) - I wonder why we even bother putting swaps in our caches when people do not trade fair like this....hmmmm!

We don't bother with FTF prizes as many people who go for FTF's (like us :laughing: ) do it for the thrill of being the first to find the cache and the rush you get knowing that possibly several other FTF teams are trying to do the same thing. I'm often a little embarrassed if I find a FTF prize as I don't think I deserve it and quite often leave it for the next finder as consolation for not getting FTF.

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

For an FTF prize we have included a lucky dip lottery ticket for the next draw.

Some of the better things we have exchanged (left and taken) are - carabiner compasses, packs of playing cards, toy cars (hot wheels type cars cost about £1 and boys love them), trolley tokens. The best thing we have ever picked up in a cache was a small battery tester which gets a lot of use in our house. I recently saw one in a catalogue for £4.99!

It is true that all caches seem to end up full of tat, but it is especially disappointing when a new cache is full of tat before it has had many finds.

Battery cases from Maplins, boot laces (MrB's favourite :laughing: ), sheets of stickers and packets of water bombs for the kids, Lipsalve (which comes in a sealed blister-pack, so you can see it's brand new), book of 4 first class stamps, good quality pencil sharpener (cos every new cache you set will need one :laughing: ) and, as someone else mentioned up above me, you can find small, interesting items in local charity shops.

MrsB

Had a wander around Asda today and at one of the ends of the shelves they had a £1 shelf....

260 assorted screws in a box ! Assorted pack of 6 tools ! etc etc great value for money.

Just stacked up an ammo box for a new cache I am just about to release and I must admit myself it looks fab !

So awaiting all the tac that will be in there in a few weeks ! :unsure:

But at the end of the day, it has not cost me much !

As SP said, the cars from Tesco are a great idea - they were doing 'buy 3 for £1' a while ago and we bought a load. Also, we like to put in a book of stamps, a mini-bottle of that handwash gel (less than £1), tissues, any foreign coins I've got lying around, even a bike puncture repair kit!! (less than £1 in Tesco)

I also saw a great idea - bags tied up into a small package and labelled CITO bags - ideal if your cache is in a really nice location and there's some litter you need to pick up. :D

It's worth thinking about what you put in. We were FTF on a cache the other day along the canal near Tring, Bucks, and it was great to open the box and see it full of really cool stuff. Just a shame we hadn't brought any swops that day. :)

Geoff

Edited by housefamily

Footnote: I work at a towing company/salvage yard in Indianapolis. We get a lot of abandoned vehicles.

I just got pulled a box of all sorts of promotional items from a car that was going to be scrapped. Desk gadgets, Post-It notes, pens, keychains, golf towels, etc. ... Great swag stuff and cost me diddly.

I also routinely grab similar items at trade shows and the like. Better than used golf balls and plastic spider rings.

There's too much tat in caches. I haven't been to many but a plastic barbie dolls head, toy cars with wonky wheels and chewed up erasers are just some of the things i've seen already. Sure, some of this stuff is good for the youngsters but I want to see a grown ups cache!!!! Sure the contents would need to be safe in the event a child found them but something a bit more exciting than the above would be great. Hmm, a secret santa cache, small gifts (Wrapped) say value of £1 to £5. You put one in and take one out. Then, when your back at the pub at the end of your caching day, you can open up the surprise and see what santa has brought you.

What about some commercially sponsored caches, e.g. you find a cache at a remote location and get a discount on an item of outdoor equipment from a well known gear supplier or even a free gift. I.e. you don't have to leave anything at one of these.

What about survival caches, placed and originally contain emergency gear. E.g. foil blanket, firestarting equipment, whistle, mirror etc. You could plug the co-ord into your GPS for just in case situations. Then if there was enough of them, you could head off to the nearest one in the event of some type of emergency. (This shouldn't of course be at the expense of having your own gear). Then, if your not in an emergecny situation, you could still "Bag" the cache and sign the log book and just check the cache contents were okay and update the details on the Geocaching.Com website. This type of cache would therefore have real value in each visit. Your reward would be the knowledge that you have checked the cache for the safety of someone else.

What about a charity cache? Where part of the instructions posted on the site is where a cacher makes a small donation at a nearby location, museum, wildlife trust, charity box on the bar of a public house on completing the cache, make a small contribution into the cache its self where it is checked regularly by the cache owner and the money forwarded to the stated charity concerned on behalf of all Geocachers. (This would help PR wise for the geocaching community). It might also help with getting some caches placed some land areas.

What about a cache where once you've found it, instead of putting in trinkets, you put an offer in. For example an offer to clean someones windows in a certain geographic area, or fix a leaky tap. You might work at a zoo and offer to arrange for someone to see behind the scenes etc etc. You could put what ever conditions you want on your offer and take someone else up on thier offer if you so wished.

Educational caches. Closer lisaion with local charities, museums, local authorities etc. You find a cache and the cache contains information about the immediate area your in. For example information sheets that the field your standing in used to be site of such and such a temple / building. There could be info on wildlife to look out for. Low value exhibits, e.g. old coins you might find in the area, presed plants etc etc. This would make the cache or series of caches sort of virtual museums. The gift in these cases is knowledge.

In relation to the type of trinkets, I personally like practicle things (So no jewellery and such like). I like any type of outdoor equipment (Cheap rain ponchos etc) things that I might be abl to use there and then on my hike. Other practicle stuff I suppose is also good, hole punches, staplers etc are also useful.

Some of these ideas might be rubbish but they just sort of popped up whilst having a coffee and considering the original poster question, so I figured I'd just post them on here!

Edited by SierraFive

SierraFive can I bring your attention to the Cache Guidelines

in particular the following sections

Cache Contents

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache. As always respect the local laws. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages.

Food items are ALWAYS a BAD IDEA. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because food items (or items that smell like food) are in the cache. Even the presence of mint flavored dental floss has led to destruction of one cache.

If the original cache contents list any of the above items or other questionable items, or if a cache is reported to have the questionable items, the cache may be disabled, and the owner of the cache will be contacted and asked to remove the questionable items before the cache is enabled.

Commercial Caches / Caches that Solicit

Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services.

Solicitations are also off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

Some exceptions can be made. In these rare situations, permission can be given by the Geocaching.com web site. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first.

Which covers many of the issues in your well meaning post.

As for the poor standard of contents that can be found in caches, this is a issue which we as a community need to address, by setting examples and through education of those coming into the hobby, and those who are already active but who do not follow "Trade up or Even" .

Deceangi UK Reviewer/Moderator

I bet sierrafive took lots of time to think of out his thoughts on caches and did a great job a pat on the back for that. but man are the mods quick. nothing like getting knocked of your high horse.

I agree with all Deceangi said tho.

But i'm all for better quality caches too. so anyone leaving a leatherman voucher or The north face clothing vouchers things alongs those lines let me know as i have some spare maccy dee's toys and barbie heads to get rid off.

Deceangi,

Thanks for your post. I hadn't read the cache placement guidlines until just now due to the fact I wasn't ready to start placing caches of my own. They all do however, appear to be common sense and appropriate guidlines and I agree absolutely that all cache contents need to be safe for those that might find them. When I do eventually look to place my own cache, I will of course ensure that all of the guidlines are followed. It is clearly important that a system is in place to ensure that caches are placed appropriately to protect the environment, enjoyment, any apparent legal requirments or restrictions, the safety of all those involved and reputation of geocaching in general.

I realise now that some of my 'Bright Idea' suggestions, namely charity caches and commercial caches are against those guidlines, although I did caveat them with the fact that they might be rubbish ideas.

Guess what? They were rubbish! So i'll shut up now!!!!! As my mother always used to say, "Son, if you keep your mouth shut, you can't put your foot in it."

Best regards to everyone.

SierraFive

Deceangi,

Thanks for your post. I hadn't read the cache placement guidlines until just now due to the fact I wasn't ready to start placing caches of my own. They all do however, appear to be common sense and appropriate guidlines and I agree absolutely that all cache contents need to be safe for those that might find them. When I do eventually look to place my own cache, I will of course ensure that all of the guidlines are followed. It is clearly important that a system is in place to ensure that caches are placed appropriately to protect the environment, enjoyment, any apparent legal requirments or restrictions, the safety of all those involved and reputation of geocaching in general.

I realise now that some of my 'Bright Idea' suggestions, namely charity caches and commercial caches are against those guidlines, although I did caveat them with the fact that they might be rubbish ideas.

Guess what? They were rubbish! So i'll shut up now!!!!! As my mother always used to say, "Son, if you keep your mouth shut, you can't put your foot in it."

Best regards to everyone.

SierraFive

Excellent reply glad to find more people in here that don't take everything so much to heart. Good luck on placing your future caches.

I don't actually think MOST cachers are really that bothered whats in the cache,apart from those with small kids.

Agreed. One of the reasons I think geocaching is such a good idea is that it helps to keep my daughter keen on getting the boots on and going for a walk. Naturally, for a child part of the appeal is what you might find in the cache and it is a bit disappointing when at the end of a really good hunt they just find a container of complete tat. I have read suggestions in the past that you keep a bag of cache goodies and let them choose from the bag if there is nothing they fancy in the cache, but that just doesn't have the same appeal as finding "treasure".

We have only been geocaching a few months and have done just under 30 so far but fortunately we haven't had many that were so completely tatty that we found nothing we wanted to take. Yesterday my kid was particularly delighted with cache contents - from one she got a US dollar bill and in the other a geocaching.com pencil.

I don't actually think MOST cachers are really that bothered whats in the cache,apart from those with small kids.

As I normally cache with my daughter thats what got me thinking what would be good and what would I/she like to find .

I certainly have a few more Ideas now so Thank You all for the suggestions :)

I thought i had chosen well with my cache contents. Karabina ,compass, toy car, zip pull thermometer, Led torch,tin opener ,bottle opener,whistles. I did not spend alot at the local outdoor shop .So i was suprised :P and disapointed :P when i checked on my cache recently to find only 3 items in the cache 1 nice 2 traded down . So could i suggest that those who take with out leaving please log this as TOOK SOMETHING LEFT BUGGER ALL. sorry for the moan i am shattered after my very busy night shifts back to oldself after a bottle of red and my bed.

HODGE

NITE NITE