unlimited PIO

unlimited tracks

SiRF Star III LT

60 hour battery usage

Solarpanel on backside to charge the GPS

Built in 10M pixel camera

Built in cell phone.

estimated stree price $200

I have a prototype of the 80CGx working with GPSBabel. It's impressive that the screen is bigger than the outside of the unit. I'm getting *way* more than the quoted 60 hours from the provided CR2032 battery on the provided 8 inch backlit screen. Jotne, if you're only getting 60 hours out of those batteries the size of a quarter, perhaps you should upgrade to the name-brand batteries. I'd suggest using the inbuild cell fone to call for a warranty claim.

How could I forget to mention the new revolutionary BMI interface DARPA-201A.

It’s the next new step in interfacing between human and electronics. (Brain Machine Interface). It would project image directly into your mind, so that you do not need to look at the GPS. The price of DARAP-201A is not yet set. More info about BMI here:

http://www.skewsme.com/implants.html

Also the new CGI interface is a good investment for those of you that use GPS for driving.

CGI (Car GPS Interface) would take control of your car and guide safely to your destination.

You can take a nap and let the GPS and computers handle your long journey.

geez, i was thinking of buying me GPSmap 60 CSx, but now i wait for christmas. no way i'll spend almost a grand instead of only a fifth (prices here yuck), get a 10M camera AND a cellphone with it! thanks guys that you directed me to that.. :laughing:

first post, big noob, hi to everyone!!

Edited by terrible2u

Are you thinking about the new Garmin 80CGx

3 inch screen

Waterproof

unlimited PIO

unlimited tracks

SiRF Star III LT

60 hour battery usage

Solarpanel on backside to charge the GPS

Built in 10M pixel camera

Built in cell phone.

estimated stree price $200

Actually, for an addditional $50.00, you can get a downloadable software package that converts the electronic compass needle into a metal detector that points you right to any metal object of coin size or large within a 50ft radius as well! Gotta have one :laughing: !

I have a prototype of the 80CGx working with GPSBabel. It's impressive that the screen is bigger than the outside of the unit.
That's the old version.

I already have the new beta-firmware, which is able to project a hologram in front of the unit. The hologram can be adjusted in size from 3 inch to 20 inch (though 20 inch consumes a lot of power).

The advantage is, you can see your track in real 3D projection in front of your eyes, and it supports google maps via UMTS!

So if you have an accurate satellite foto, you can see yourself running through the landscape! :laughing:

I find this one very hard to believe

A: $<300 dollars? Did you forget a 0?

B: Hologram up to 20"? YA RIGHT unlikely

C: Running for 60+ hours on a single CR2032? impossible

D: A METAL DETECTOR for COINS in the compass? That is hardly at all possible

Is this whole forum some type of a joke I'm not getting?

Edited by Train_Man

I find this one very hard to believe

A: $<300 dollars? Did you forget a 0?

B: Hologram up to 20"? YA RIGHT unlikely

C: Running for 60+ hours on a single CR2032? impossible

D: A METAL DETECTOR for COINS in the compass? That is hardly at all possible

Is this whole forum some type of a joke I'm not getting?

:unsure:;);):unsure: (balancing the smiley debt in this thread)

If the OP can provide a link to where she got the rumor, that might help. ;)

The predecessor for the 60/76 series will have Windows Mobile 5 for unlimited number of waypoints/tracks/routes and a browser for showing Pocket Query’s. Further regarding the S-versions the magnetic compass and barometric altimeter will be replaced by a 6-axis inertial navigation system, based on MEMS-technology from Analog Devices

/Cruelfi

The predecessor for the 60/76 series will have Windows Mobile 5 for unlimited number of waypoints/tracks/routes and a browser for showing Pocket Query’s. Further regarding the S-versions the magnetic compass and barometric altimeter will be replaced by a 6-axis inertial navigation system, based on MEMS-technology from Analog Devices

/Cruelfi

But it won't actually be a pocket PC right? It'll be a durable device with buttons like the 60CSx but will run the Windows Mobile 5 as the OS instead of Garmin for more features?

Reason I ask is I feel a Pocket PC isn't really strong enough to go in the outdoors and use for caching

/Cruelfi

Back to the future?

Yes, geognerd, when it senses you're travelling 88mph, the flux capactor (powered by that 2032 - it's smaller than even the food processor) engages...

The first-to-find hounds will be all over this - logging finds before caches are even placed!

Now, since we've all had such fun with this, let's remind the OP that Garmin is a publicly held company and is supposed to be very careful with inside information. (Of course, their last couple of product bumps were leaked by their dealers anyway...) There have been no announcements that I know of for new products this fall. They pretty much replaced their handhelds this Jan and have been adding pretty steadily to the dashtop and Nuvi families. They just announced Nuvi 660 and Zumo, so I think that catches them up with the rumour mill. That said, those guys crank out the products at a dizzying rate, so who knows what's in store?

Hilarious thread guys.

There have been no announcements that I know of for new products this fall. They pretty much replaced their handhelds this Jan and have been adding pretty steadily to the dashtop and Nuvi families. They just announced Nuvi 660 and Zumo, so I think that catches them up with the rumour mill. That said, those guys crank out the products at a dizzying rate, so who knows what's in store?

My prediction...

Garmin wants to sell their current stable during the holiday season and will announce few new units between now and Jan. 1. New releases will be announced shortly thereafter at CES and the Shot Show.

EDIT: Oh, and even though it gets announced in early January, don't expect availbility till spring.

FWIW

Rich Owings

www.GPStracklog.com

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

“We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books.” – Edward Abbey

Edited by Redwoods Mtn Biker

As far as I understand, the 90 GTDXS will not be due until the next Christmas, but on the other hand, it will involve a celestial orbit tweaker, which simply will place the earth where you want it to be. No need to go anywhere, just enter your destination and there you are.

This is all simple, but the tricky thing is to provide the service for everyone, simultaneously. That's why it'll not be until next Christmas.

As far as I understand, the 90 GTDXS will not be due until the next Christmas, but on the other hand, it will involve a celestial orbit tweaker, which simply will place the earth where you want it to be. No need to go anywhere, just enter your destination and there you are.

This is all simple, but the tricky thing is to provide the service for everyone, simultaneously. That's why it'll not be until next Christmas.

The earth will be spinning, sliding, and flying all over the place to get people where they want to go that second lol

The 500abcdefgsx is basically a computer, ipod, cellphone, gps, laser, lighter, swiss army knife, and sat. phone. It has a 5000 channel receiver and a 500'' holographic screen. It is waterproof to 5 miles. It also has the earth conrol feature of the 90 GTDXS. It will come out in a year. :mad::):(:):P:)

Edited by ossumguywill

The new Garmin Teleport 1000CSx will have 6 foot accuracy, so that when you press the Teleport button, you just hope that it won't teleport you 6 feet under, and what a day that would be, and you would be hoping for millimeter accuracy with this new unit.

Take this unit, and just about solve any war, Just teleport to the king's location, then grab him, then teleport back to your place, then war solved.

when do you ,people just cut off with this kind of crap..? childish

What generated this thread, is the fact, that most of the consumer GPS models got problems, and NON of them are perfect, with trade-offs with any of them you buy. The one fact I can say is that I been able to milk out more out of GPS units with a stick antenna at 6 feet off the ground, than the GPS units with a patch, that I'm holding only waist heigh, and the fact that Garmin got tiny screens, but the big screen magellan is also lacking in data readouts, so this is the place to vent your sillyness.

What generated this thread, is the fact, that most of the consumer GPS models got problems, and NON of them are perfect, with trade-offs with any of them you buy. The one fact I can say is that I been able to milk out more out of GPS units with a stick antenna at 6 feet off the ground, than the GPS units with a patch, that I'm holding only waist heigh, and the fact that Garmin got tiny screens, but the big screen magellan is also lacking in data readouts, so this is the place to vent your sillyness.

I understood all that and it was funny for me also,first days and posts...but the thread got too long...it's not funny anymore..more and more people just post here all kind of rubbish,not to mention that there are new members that are misleaded into thinking that there really will be out some model with all these "features"

I understood all that and it was funny for me also,first days and posts...but the thread got too long...it's not funny anymore..more and more people just post here all kind of rubbish,not to mention that there are new members that are misleaded into thinking that there really will be out some model with all these "features"

Being in the engineering business (professional and personal). these kind of threads are actually great. Some comments may be pure hoohah and others quite fruitful. Just remember how Pringles started.

This is where ideas start. I doubt that we will find a GPS out there with everything that we want...big screen for old eyes, L1/L2/L5 reception and processing, long battery life with easy to change out batteries, antennas that pull in signals through the nastiest canopy in the Amazon, repeatable 8 decimal accuracy, -40 F to +140 F temperature range, serial ports faster than 9600 baud (USB 2), OCXO, car and hand operation, and a few others.

I still think the best gift for the true geek cacher out there would be a choke ring antenna hat, in the mindset of Devo.... :D

For people that might get into playing around with GPS hardware and software, Open Source GPS is a start, and the Introduction to how GPS works is HERE

I'm going to pick Garmin as an example below:

* They could come out with a GPS that has at a minimum of 240x320 pixel screen, and have 4 or 5 keys immediately below the screen, that work just like on a cellphone, or graphing calculator, that you can program yourself.

* This GPS would be capable of loading into memory, up to 5 firmwares, so that when you select any of the firmwares, the GPS then switches to that partition of memory, for that particular firmware you want to switch to, then reboots. With this capability, you can switch between a boating GPS, Autorouting GPS, Hiking GPS, Geocaching GPS, and Hunting or GIS GPS. When You switch from one GPS firmware to another, it saves all the settings, and Trip info, to memory prior to switching to the new firmware. This way you keep track of miles Hiked, Driven, Boated, or flew on a plane, in each firmware.

* There would be subscription services available, allowing you to buy multiple firmwares, and also downloadable mapping to the PC and the GPS. Also a service for submitting mapping corrections for all the different mapping data. Download Maps for Boating, Flying, Hiking, Geocaching, and Autorouting, even download aerial images to the GPS. The Subscription service also would provide Firmwares for sale, plus free updates from that point onward.

* This GPS would have a very fast processor, and be able to take plug-in modules for things like pressure sensors, and motion sensors.

- (1) Low cost motion sensor - This sensor helps the GPS to reject bad and reflected signals that would otherwise mess up your tracklog, and make a hiker seem like they had a 30mph max speed while hiking. The Motion sensor helps the unit to fudge your tracking position for just a few seconds if you lost Satellite LOCK, and to fix the last few of trackpoints, once you regain LOCK.

- (2) Pressure sensor - This Sensor can be calibrated both by the current Barrometric Pressure from the closest weather station, and your elevation, thereby calibrating the ambient pressure reading of the unit. Inputting the elevation, and the Barrometric pressure reading at the same time would provide the calibrated adjustment to the ambient pressure reading of the sensor itself.

- (3) The 2 Sensors together would further help the GPS to reject all the bad signals, and to use only the Satellites that agree with the calculations.

* This GPS would have a built-in Patch antenna, and a removeable stick(Quadrifilar) antenna, and if both antennas are connected, the dual receiver, would receive up to 16 channels from each pair of Receiver/antennas, and a comparator would then use the best signals out of the mix of inputs, from each receiver.

* This GPS would have at least 64 megabytes for the firmwares plus the data memories pertaining to each individual firmware, plus a backup feature to backup an entire image of the memory to the SD-Memory card for emergency recovery.

* Since this is the Geocaching community here, I would have to say that the Geocaching Firmware for this GPS would have to have better Geocaching software loaded, than what you see with any Garmin or Magellan already out there, also this GPS would have bluetooth to link the GPS with a Camera phone logged into wap.geocaching.com.

* Satellite Page - On the satellite page, you can set the GPS to track only if it is within your predifined accuracy setting, so that if you want the GPS to track the satellites with an accuracy better than 30 feet, then it will stop tracking at worst than the 30 foot accuracy you selected and depend more on it's motion sensor for help. NOTE: Accuracy is effected by Reflected, Blocked, noise, and Jamming of the received signals.

- - - - - - -

In my GPS I would have 3 firmwares loaded into memory, and they would be Geocaching, Hiking, Autorouting, but I might add a 4th firmware into memory for flying. I would like to be able to save the Tracklogs to the SD-Memory and have the ability to generate the Trails right in the GPS itself, that would show up in the mapping as a transparent layer. Also the ability to generate an average of multiple tracklogs, and convert that to the transperent layer of the map. I would like to edit Roads and other topo features right on the GPS, and to submit these changes to the online community. There already is ruggedized GPS/PDA units available, but they are expensive, and only availible to a limited market, like the handheld Trimble units for GIS and Serveying.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

I would love to be able to fully generate the idea of this GPS, and it would be fun to do, and I had some Electronics and CAD training a long time ago. Also I wished I could draw a picture of what it would look like, but can't quite do that. The only thing is that I don't have the energy to do it now.

I would love to be able to do something like this with the eXplorist XL, and use it's large memory for multiple firmwares, but it's processor would have to be speeded up and internal memory increased to at least 128 megabytes for the firmwares, and each user data set that goes with each firmware, like partitioning a hard drive into multiple drives. I believe there are russian websites that like to hack the magellans with SD-memory cards.

The purpose of this GPS would be to end the constant need to buy new GPS units, and sell your old ones, all you have to do here is simply change or upgrade the firmwares, and/or change the plug-in modules when available.

Edited by GOT GPS?

For people that might get into playing around with GPS hardware and software, Open Source GPS is a start, and the Introduction to how GPS works is HERE

I'm going to pick Garmin as an example below:

* They could come out with a GPS that has at a minimum of 240x320 pixel screen, and have 4 or 5 keys immediately below the screen, that work just like on a cellphone, or graphing calculator, that you can program yourself.

* This GPS would be capable of loading into memory, up to 5 firmwares, so that when you select any of the firmwares, the GPS then switches to that partition of memory, for that particular firmware you want to switch to, then reboots. With this capability, you can switch between a boating GPS, Autorouting GPS, Hiking GPS, Geocaching GPS, and Hunting or GIS GPS. When You switch from one GPS firmware to another, it saves all the settings, and Trip info, to memory prior to switching to the new firmware. This way you keep track of miles Hiked, Driven, Boated, or flew on a plane, in each firmware.

* There would be subscription services available, allowing you to buy multiple firmwares, and also downloadable mapping to the PC and the GPS. Also a service for submitting mapping corrections for all the different mapping data. Download Maps for Boating, Flying, Hiking, Geocaching, and Autorouting, even download aerial images to the GPS. The Subscription service also would provide Firmwares for sale, plus free updates from that point onward.

* This GPS would have a very fast processor, and be able to take plug-in modules for things like pressure sensors, and motion sensors.

- (1) Low cost motion sensor - This sensor helps the GPS to reject bad and reflected signals that would otherwise mess up your tracklog, and make a hiker seem like they had a 30mph max speed while hiking. The Motion sensor helps the unit to fudge your tracking position for just a few seconds if you lost Satellite LOCK, and to fix the last few of trackpoints, once you regain LOCK.

- (2) Pressure sensor - This Sensor can be calibrated both by the current Barrometric Pressure from the closest weather station, and your elevation, thereby calibrating the ambient pressure reading of the unit. Inputting the elevation, and the Barrometric pressure reading at the same time would provide the calibrated adjustment to the ambient pressure reading of the sensor itself.

- (3) The 2 Sensors together would further help the GPS to reject all the bad signals, and to use only the Satellites that agree with the calculations.

* This GPS would have a built-in Patch antenna, and a removeable stick(Quadrifilar) antenna, and if both antennas are connected, the dual receiver, would receive up to 16 channels from each pair of Receiver/antennas, and a comparator would then use the best signals out of the mix of inputs, from each receiver.

* This GPS would have at least 64 megabytes for the firmwares plus the data memories pertaining to each individual firmware, plus a backup feature to backup an entire image of the memory to the SD-Memory card for emergency recovery.

* Since this is the Geocaching community here, I would have to say that the Geocaching Firmware for this GPS would have to have better Geocaching software loaded, than what you see with any Garmin or Magellan already out there, also this GPS would have bluetooth to link the GPS with a Camera phone logged into wap.geocaching.com.

* Satellite Page - On the satellite page, you can set the GPS to track only if it is within your predifined accuracy setting, so that if you want the GPS to track the satellites with an accuracy better than 30 feet, then it will stop tracking at worst than the 30 foot accuracy you selected and depend more on it's motion sensor for help. NOTE: Accuracy is effected by Reflected, Blocked, noise, and Jamming of the received signals.

- - - - - - -

In my GPS I would have 3 firmwares loaded into memory, and they would be Geocaching, Hiking, Autorouting, but I might add a 4th firmware into memory for flying. I would like to be able to save the Tracklogs to the SD-Memory and have the ability to generate the Trails right in the GPS itself, that would show up in the mapping as a transparent layer. Also the ability to generate an average of multiple tracklogs, and convert that to the transperent layer of the map. I would like to edit Roads and other topo features right on the GPS, and to submit these changes to the online community. There already is ruggedized GPS/PDA units available, but they are expensive, and only availible to a limited market, like the handheld Trimble units for GIS and Serveying.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

I would love to be able to fully generate the idea of this GPS, and it would be fun to do, and I had some Electronics and CAD training a long time ago. Also I wished I could draw a picture of what it would look like, but can't quite do that. The only thing is that I don't have the energy to do it now.

I would love to be able to do something like this with the eXplorist XL, and use it's large memory for multiple firmwares, but it's processor would have to be speeded up and internal memory increased to at least 128 megabytes for the firmwares, and each user data set that goes with each firmware, like partitioning a hard drive into multiple drives. I believe there are russian websites that like to hack the magellans with SD-memory cards.

The purpose of this GPS would be to end the constant need to buy new GPS units, and sell your old ones, all you have to do here is simply change or upgrade the firmwares, and/or change the plug-in modules when available.

You just reinvented the PDA/Pocke PC with a GPS module ! :D

There are some mayor differences between PDS/GPS and a 60CS

I can drop my 60CS on the floor and it still works. Most PDA are destroyed.

60CS are water resistant.

The PDA are not so robust.

PS Suscrofa, you do not need to quote the message posted above you, it makes the tread very long.