Too dangerous ?

gerboa

Recently descending a steep part of clearcut woodland, and being in very trippy undergrowth, I noticed that smaller bushes /trees that had been cut, were about 18 inches high and kinda spear pointed and quite closely spaced. A pitch forward would have impaled me, it was a DNF..would you go back ?

Recently descending a steep part of clearcut woodland, and being in very trippy undergrowth, I noticed that smaller bushes /trees that had been cut, were about 18 inches high and kinda spear pointed and quite closely spaced. A pitch forward would have impaled me, it was a DNF..would you go back ?

Not me. i hate getting stuck my throrns and stuff

Sounds like it gave you a bad feeling. Might want to follow your gut instinct. There are probably better ones you could be looking for than waste time on that one.

Geocachers should know their limitations.

It's always best to assess the situation before attempting it. (survey the area, read the logs, ask other cachers, etc.) If you don't like it pass it by.

I was looking for geocaches near an area I was traveling to. One of the cache pages said that if you look for the cache it would be best if you were packing because it was a dangerous area. I didn't look at that cache any further.

I just did a cache in an old dump the other day, full of old rusty cars and other old rusty junk, to top it off all this was on a steep slope in a wooded area.

Needless to say, I loved every second of it, even when my shoes got covered in mud at the bottom and I nearly fell down a slope filled with torn up cars with sharp edges.

Of course, I also own a cache that is 15 ft up a half dead tree, a wrong step and you can fall and be hurt in a remote area of a large county park. I have fun with this kinda stuff, some people just don't. It varies from person to person.

Some of my caches make the one the OP mentioned look like a Wal-Mart LPC. That said...

Geocachers should know their limitations.
Amen.
Although I'd probably substitute a machete for the bolt cutters if the trunks were slender enough to cut through.
<sarcasm>Oh, my! We all know machetes are evil! </sarcasm> Edited by Pablo Mac

Oh come on, there's nothing like a little impalement to liven up a cache hunt!

"Oh wow, did that go the whole way through? Man! That must hurt, eh? Hey, here's the cache! You want me to sign the log for ya?"

But in answer to your question, yes, I'd go back. Vegetation rarely keeps me from my goal.

I recently placed a cache where I saw a grizzly about 100 yards above me who promptly dissapeared into the brush. The cache placement was above where he was, and I continued onward and hid the cache (granted, I was quite vocal on the way up and the bear was long gone).

I posted a warning about my sighting on my cache page.

I'm not sure how long it'll take to get that First Finder...

It may be years.

Geocachers should know their limitations...If you don't like it pass it by.

We recently learned in a hunter safety course that if YOU think you can't hit the target, then YOU shouldn't shoot at it. It is based on your own ability...

You shouldn't swim farther out than you can swim back.

Don't work out with heavier weights than you can safely use...

Like in any other sport/hobby, know your limitations.

Dangerous can be many things!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ce-4edbca627bb4

August 29 by rockies4 (196 found)

CLOSE CALL! I went by to check on cache and drop off TB and found rattlesnake under cache! I was removing cache container from hidey hole when he decided to give a warning! It was right at dusk.

Just use good judgement and be careful.

Edited by Inmountains

As Luckless said, GO WITH YOUR GUT! Put the cache on your ignore list and let it be!

Ignore it if it is too unsafe, or better, watch to see if someone else finds a better path. Try coming from another direction also. It is a goal, a little extra effort may be required.

Cannot ignore, too few caches here, and it's a lovely place. Methinks to take some sort of cutter (bolt cutter) and clear a path on way up, like mine clearing.

Problem here, folks naturally follow the path of least resistance. If you cut a trail, everyone else there for whatever reason will be headed right for the cache. Nothing like blowing this one away!