How long before somebody finds it?

Proud Soccer Mom

On the 18th (of August), we hid our first geocache. It's a simple micro and there's nothing too hard about it. We have many ideas for hides but I wanted our first one to be reasonably easy, just for the experience of maintaining a cache and checking the log. Well, we have two DNFs, and one of them is rather rude. No one else in the area - and there are some experienced, high-numbered cachers in our area - is bothering to look for it. I know they'd find it. They just have to look. I don't think we should have to edit in a clue since the thing isn't even camo'd.

It's been a couple weeks and for an area that usually has finds within a day or more, it's really strange that there's been no activity. The micro's in place. I pass it every day jogging and walking the dog. Meanwhile, other caches have been hid and found within a day or two (as normal) by cachers who have to travel 30+ minutes away to do those.

We don't want to think it's a popularity contest but it feels that way. How long should we wait before giving up? It's really irritated us and, personally, I feel uninspired to hide anything more or even search for these people's caches if they aren't going to bother searching for mine. Not good thoughts.

Please advise! :tired:

*I wanted to add that my husband and I have geocached and waymarked separately quite a bit. It's been recently that we decided to have one family account that involved the kids and made sure to log all of our finds. It's been slow-going for us but the husband just had a full hip-replacement and we've been house-bound.

Edited by HauntHunters

My guess is that because it has 2 DNF's noone wants to "waste their time" looking for it. I am guilty of seeing what the most recent activity has shown, and if there are 2 or more recent DNF's, I won't go look for it. Have you posted a maintenace note stating the cache is right where it should be? How about re-checking your coordinates to make sure they are checking out?

Hope this helps..... :tired:

...please be cautious of possible debris or broken glass.

That is enough to keep me and mine away. Sorry.

The one DNF didn't seem all that rude to me - I too get frustrated when I have no idea what rough size/shape the container is. Also, many of the cachers I know (around here), tend not to like micros hidden in a bush with no interesting view or reason to go there..

May I suggest a bit more description/ mention of container or camo. Mention some reason to visit the location - something along those lines. My two cents anyway.

Edited by StarBrand

Neither DNF seemed rude to me (but i don't know what NHF means). Are you sure it's a 1 for difficulty, if two cachers didn't find it? (And we won't mention the attitude problem...) I'll agree with StarBrand that some description fo the cache would probably make the find easier.

Hey, if it were nearby, I'd look for it; but I'll look for anything nearby. I even found a cache that hadn't been found in a year. Another thought that may enter into people's minds is newby hides are not usually (note the use of the word usually) among the most interesting, or well done. Wouldn't stop me, but it might stop some. And, as mentioned, broken glass in the neighborhood is not usually a good sign.

On the 18th (of August), we hid our first geocache. It's a simple micro and there's nothing too hard about it. We have many ideas for hides but I wanted our first one to be reasonably easy, just for the experience of maintaining a cache and checking the log. Well, we have two DNFs, and one of them is rather rude. No one else in the area - and there are some experienced, high-numbered cachers in our area - is bothering to look for it. I know they'd find it. They just have to look. I don't think we should have to edit in a clue since the thing isn't even camo'd.

It's been a couple weeks and for an area that usually has finds within a day or more, it's really strange that there's been no activity. The micro's in place. I pass it every day jogging and walking the dog. Meanwhile, other caches have been hid and found within a day or two (as normal) by cachers who have to travel 30+ minutes away to do those.

We don't want to think it's a popularity contest but it feels that way. How long should we wait before giving up? It's really irritated us and, personally, I feel uninspired to hide anything more or even search for these people's caches if they aren't going to bother searching for mine. Not good thoughts.

Please advise! :laughing:

*I wanted to add that my husband and I have geocached and waymarked separately quite a bit. It's been recently that we decided to have one family account that involved the kids and made sure to log all of our finds. It's been slow-going for us but the husband just had a full hip-replacement and we've been house-bound.

I heard that everyone hates mini caches so I hid a big in a duck everyone licks and two people found it the same day. lol :laughing:

I heard that everyone hates mini caches so I hid a big in a duck everyone licks and two people found it the same day. lol :laughing:

I don't particularly like micros either but inspite of that, I ain't licking your duck. :laughing:

As far as the question before the panel, looking for micros in brush turns off a lot of people. You may think it's easy to find, afterall, you hid it so you know exactly where it's at. But remember, GPSs are only accurate to maybe 30 feet so someone else has to wade in and dig thru 30 ft or more of brush to find something like a film cannister. Not fun. If it's in an area where there are a lot of caches then people will pass it by in order to go hunt for caches that don't involve reaching thru brush. It's not like "Field of Dreams". Just because you built it doesn't mean people will come.

Edited by Wadcutter

A 1 star difficulty cache that two experienced geocachers couldn't find? First off I'd have to say its not rated properly. Sounds more like 2.5 or maybe 3 stars. Finders see a 1 star cache and expect to come up with it in a few minutes. If not they assume its missing.

Neither of the DNFs seems rude at all. Also, I'm sure there has been a lot more activity than you realize. Its been my experience that about half of the searchers don't bother with DNF logs.

From a personal standpoint, after reading your description, a micro in the brush in a high traffic area, where I have to worry about debris and broken glass certainly would not make the top of my "to do" list.

But knowing the thought process of many geocachers, I think the real issue is that you are a new hider and the first few attempts by experienced geocachers came up empty on a 1 star difficulty hide. That means most people assume thre issomething wrong and don't want to waste their time. Once it does get a find you will probably see the floodgates open.

For your convenience, here is are the accepted definitions for difficulty and terrain ratings:

Difficulty rating:

* Easy. In plain sight or can be found in a few minutes of searching.

** Average. The average cache hunter would be able to find this in less than 30 minutes of hunting.

*** Challenging. An experienced cache hunter will find this challenging, and it could take up a good portion of an afternoon.

**** Difficult. A real challenge for the experienced cache hunter - may require special skills or knowledge, or in-depth preparation to find. May require multiple days / trips to complete.

***** Extreme. A serious mental or physical challenge. Requires specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment to find cache.

Terrain rating:

* Handicapped accessible. (Terrain is likely to be paved, is relatively flat, and less than a 1/2 mile hike is required.)

** Suitable for small children. (Terrain is generally along marked trails, there are no steep elevation changes or heavy overgrowth. Less than a 2 mile hike required.)

*** Not suitable for small children. (The average adult or older child should be OK depending on physical condition. Terrain is likely off-trail. May have one or more of the following: some overgrowth, some steep elevation changes, or more than a 2 mile hike.)

**** Experienced outdoor enthusiasts only. (Terrain is probably off-trail. Will have one or more of the following: very heavy overgrowth, very steep elevation (requiring use of hands), or more than a 10 mile hike. May require an overnight stay.)

***** Requires specialized equipment and knowledge or experience, (boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc) or is otherwise extremely difficult.

Edited by briansnat

Neither DNF seemed rude to me (but i don't know what NHF means). Are you sure it's a 1 for difficulty, if two cachers didn't find it? (And we won't mention the attitude problem...) I'll agree with StarBrand that some description fo the cache would probably make the find easier.

Hey, if it were nearby, I'd look for it; but I'll look for anything nearby. I even found a cache that hadn't been found in a year. Another thought that may enter into people's minds is newby hides are not usually (note the use of the word usually) among the most interesting, or well done. Wouldn't stop me, but it might stop some. And, as mentioned, broken glass in the neighborhood is not usually a good sign.

NHF = Not Having Fun. I had to google that one! And I've seen numerous rude DNFs from that one. At least I wasn't told "Caches should bring you to INTERESTING places" like they've said to others. They've also refused to look certain places or assumed that coords were wrong because it took them to a place they didn't want to look. That's just who they are and the choices they make.

Most of the cachers around here seem to look for anything, too, and "broken glass or debris" doesn't frighten them. I did a drive-by of a place that was much "worse" (didn't get out because it was raining with that so-called hurricane) and it had already been found numerous times.

I took my cue from other cachers in the area and didn't describe the container because:

1. it's not camo'd and really does stand out... if you're looking for something that's not a plant.

2. it's not far off the road and the coords take you there. It was tested with two GPSrs. (it's even spot-on with the on-line map)

3. there are harder ones out there with the same difficulty/terrain ratings.

Broken glass is no big deal around here. It happens, either from the teens partying or a trash can getting knocked over and scattered. I thought I'd warn because you can take your car up to 3 feet away from it and our seashell-embedded roads are bad enough, we don't need to drive over a beer bottle.

- HauntHunters

My guess is that because it has 2 DNF's noone wants to "waste their time" looking for it. I am guilty of seeing what the most recent activity has shown, and if there are 2 or more recent DNF's, I won't go look for it. Have you posted a maintenace note stating the cache is right where it should be? How about re-checking your coordinates to make sure they are checking out?

Hope this helps..... :D

After the first one didn't find it, I checked just to make sure and everything was there and posted. The second DNF posted same day. The coords were tested with two different GPSrs and they take you there. Even on-line maps are spot on. I don't think one even needs a GPS. All they have to do is look for something that's not a plant.

For the forum, I'll add that there is a partial road that ends off the road shown on the map (the one the cache is named after). If you come up the road northward, you'll hang a right before stopping. That's county land, which is why we put the cache there. Locals ought to know that (or would find out after doing a drive-by).

I didn't want to post a note after every DNF. "Yup, still there." Ya know? I'll write one today after I walk the dog since it's the first of the month.

- HauntHunters

A 1 star difficulty cache that two experienced geocachers couldn't find? First off I'd have to say its not rated properly. Sounds more like 2.5 or maybe 3 stars. Finders see a 1 star cache and expect to come up with it in a few minutes. If not they assume its missing.

Neither of the DNFs seems rude at all. Also, I'm sure there has been a lot more activity than you realize. Its been my experience that about half of the searchers don't bother with DNF logs.

From a personal standpoint, after reading your description, a micro in the brush in a high traffic area, where I have to worry about debris and broken glass certainly would not make the top of my "to do" list.

But knowing the thought process of many geocachers, I think the real issue is that you are a new hider and the first few attempts by experienced geocachers came up empty on a 1 star difficulty hide. That means most people assume thre issomething wrong and don't want to waste their time. Once it does get a find you will probably see the floodgates open.

For your convenience, here is are the accepted definitions for difficulty and terrain ratings:

Difficulty rating:

* Easy. In plain sight or can be found in a few minutes of searching.

** Average. The average cache hunter would be able to find this in less than 30 minutes of hunting.

*** Challenging. An experienced cache hunter will find this challenging, and it could take up a good portion of an afternoon.

**** Difficult. A real challenge for the experienced cache hunter - may require special skills or knowledge, or in-depth preparation to find. May require multiple days / trips to complete.

***** Extreme. A serious mental or physical challenge. Requires specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment to find cache.

Terrain rating:

* Handicapped accessible. (Terrain is likely to be paved, is relatively flat, and less than a 1/2 mile hike is required.)

** Suitable for small children. (Terrain is generally along marked trails, there are no steep elevation changes or heavy overgrowth. Less than a 2 mile hike required.)

*** Not suitable for small children. (The average adult or older child should be OK depending on physical condition. Terrain is likely off-trail. May have one or more of the following: some overgrowth, some steep elevation changes, or more than a 2 mile hike.)

**** Experienced outdoor enthusiasts only. (Terrain is probably off-trail. Will have one or more of the following: very heavy overgrowth, very steep elevation (requiring use of hands), or more than a 10 mile hike. May require an overnight stay.)

***** Requires specialized equipment and knowledge or experience, (boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc) or is otherwise extremely difficult.

Thanks!!! I filled out the questions on the cache form to determine difficulty/terrain and went with what it came up with. I think they make sense and I agree with them in the above explanation. Thanks for pointing that others may be looking but not posting DNFs. I hope you're right and someone finds it soon so it's established that it can be found.

- HauntHunters

It's the scores of the two DNFs that are the problem. Everybody is thinking "I'll let somebody else prove that one is still there". If the broken glass is as only an issue for parking location it would also help to explain that. From reading the cache page I assumed that the hiding place istelf might have broken glass around.

I agree with all that's been said and then some. I certainly don't want to discourage you, but here would be my take on it if it was in my area.

1) 2 DNFs are a bad sign. Coords possibly wrong?

2) Description is way too negative. Micro? In the brush? High muggle area? Broken glass? Debris? None of that sounds like an interesting cache or an interesting area that I would be dying to go see.

3) And this is where I'll end up offending you (maybe) but the 2 dnfs combined with the fact you only have 4 finds would make me completely ignore it until someone else finds it. My intitial thought is that the newbie (that would be you) has inaccurate coordinates and it would be impossible to find a micro in the brush with the coordinates a bit off.

This may not be accurate, but in my head, I am picturing a hedge with a bison tube hanging in it with the coords off by 30 feet. Thanks, but I'll wait until some other cacher verifies that it's there and the coordinates are accurate before I even think about attempting it.

That's my initial thoughts after viewing the cache page. Hope that doesn't sound harsh, but those are/would be my thoughts if that was a cache around here. Just being honest...

Edited by ThePropers

It's the scores of the two DNFs that are the problem. Everybody is thinking "I'll let somebody else prove that one is still there". If the broken glass is as only an issue for parking location it would also help to explain that. From reading the cache page I assumed that the hiding place istelf might have broken glass around.

Thank you! When I write the note today to update that it's still there, I think I'll edit the description to talk more about the glass/debris. I mean, if I'm jogging and walking my dog there daily, obviously we're not taking them to a recycling plant or scrap yard (but they don't know that from the description).

Oh, and I want to specify that I think the first DNF that was logged is cute. "FDNF" is an adorable joke. hehehe

- HauntHunters

I agree with all that's been said and then some. I certainly don't want to discourage you, but here would be my take on it if it was in my area.

1) 2 DNFs are a bad sign. Coords possibly wrong?

2) Description is way too negative. Micro? In the brush? High muggle area? Broken glass? Debris? None of that sounds like an interesting cache or an interesting area that I would be dying to go see.

3) And this is where I'll end up offending you (maybe) but the 2 dnfs combined with the fact you only have 4 finds would make me completely ignore it until someone else finds it. My intitial thought is that the newbie (that would be you) has inaccurate coordinates and it would be impossible to find a micro in the brush with the coordinates a bit off.

This may not be accurate, but in my head, I am picturing a hedge with a bison tube hanging in it with the coords off by 30 feet. Thanks, but I'll wait until some other cacher verifies that it's there and the coordinates are accurate before I even think about attempting it.

That's my initial thoughts after viewing the cache page. Hope that doesn't sound harsh, but those are/would be my thoughts if that was a cache around here. Just being honest...

No, hey, that's cool! As a geocacher just reading the page, you didn't know:

1. my husband has been doing geocache-like activities with the boy scouts for over 10 years;

2. my husband and I have geocached separately (I started in May but he's done it for a few years with a coworker who was logging);

3. I did my homework before choosing the location, nature of the hide, and container;

4. what parts of southern Florida that aren't urban sprawls are brush and swamp;

5. the coords are tested by two people who are experienced with their GPS devices and didn't buy a GPS just to geocache (even though mine is a cheapie, we dropped quite a shiney penny on his and the one we use on the boat);

6. the cache was found by our 10 year-old child within 15 minutes who wasn't given anything more than a GPS and a "it's there" before we submitted it to the site.

So, while I know these things, YOU as the geocacher DON'T (although the locals should know #4) so I'm glad you're being very blunt about this. It helps me decide how I'm going to edit the description and possibly even how we edit our profile!

Thanks!

- HauntHunters

6. the cache was found by our 10 year-old child within 15 minutes who wasn't given anything more than a GPS and a "it's there" before we submitted it to the site.

By your own words - sounds much more like a 2 star rating if it takes 15 minutes of searching. A one star should be much more obvious. Just my thoughts.

By your own words - sounds much more like a 2 star rating if it takes 15 minutes of searching. A one star should be much more obvious. Just my thoughts.

Yeah, but do we determine difficulty based on the average adult or on a 10 year-old with ADHD who manages to lose his shoes every single morning? :D We did the site calculator for difficulty and terrain when we were filling out the form, so that's why it is what it is. I might up it to 2 since I'm changing the description, but do you think people would be passing it up simply because it's a 1 instead of a 2?

- HauntHunters

I would suggest 3 things. You obviously have under-rated the cache. Revise it immediately and psot a maintanence note. Check the cache on a routine basis and makes notes on the cache page. once a week will work until found. Revise your description and avoid making the highlight of the cache the broken glass. And dont take it personal if your cache is not found quickly, It is their loss and not yours. Chill out and relax knowing you jsut placed a cache for all to find.

Yeah, but do we determine difficulty based on the average adult or on a 10 year-old with ADHD who manages to lose his shoes every single morning? :D We did the site calculator for difficulty and terrain when we were filling out the form, so that's why it is what it is. I might up it to 2 since I'm changing the description, but do you think people would be passing it up simply because it's a 1 instead of a 2?

- HauntHunters

The fact that 2 fairly experienced people could not find it at all and your 10 year old took 15 minutes is more than enough to convince me that it should be rated a 2. A 1 star should be - well - really obvious within a minute or 2 of looking. At least a 1.5

Looking at the finds on nearest 80 caches in the area, it looks like the caching pace down your way is pretty slow right now.

People tend to have more time to cache on the weekend, and even then, school has just started back (or is about to) and therefore time for caching is at a premium for a lot of people right now.

I would suggest that you:

1. Be patient.

2. See what happens over the weekend.

3. Post a maintenance note saying there will be a 5 dollar bill in the cache as a FTF prize. :D

The glass wouldn't stop me and I rarely look at difficulty ratings. Seasoned cachers in your area will know the lay of the land and think they can find anything if they are comfortable with the area. I say fluff the description and hide another cache or two while your waiting. If you have a first finder prize that would fit, that would speed up the FTF too.

Bingo. That alone would turn me off, even if it were in the most spectacular of locations.

The glass wouldn't stop me and I rarely look at difficulty ratings. Seasoned cachers in your area will know the lay of the land and think they can find anything if they are comfortable with the area. I say fluff the description and hide another cache or two while your waiting. If you have a first finder prize that would fit, that would speed up the FTF too.

Move to Florida, would you? Thank you for this comment. Your excellent attitude makes some cachers look downright snobby. We fluffed the description and are considering hiding another. Perhaps one that they DO find will reinspire them to look for the one that they thought was our fault that they didn't find. I know that after we find a good cache by someone, I want to find all the rest of their caches.

- HauntHunters

Bingo. That alone would turn me off, even if it were in the most spectacular of locations.

Ya, have to kinda agree here. Glad you are doing the revise. And perhaps hide a couple more within a mile of the first. Give cachers something to come your direction to do other than the one cache. If they've found everything within 2 miles, give them more to find.

It's not about the numbers, it's about getting out of the house and having a good time. We won't drive 5 miles to find one, we will wait til there are 3 or 4 then make the drive.

You're on the right track, and kudos for coming here to post and ask questions. It shows that you care.

Hmm, still no finds eh?

I noticed both of your caches are members-only. Do you think that might have an impact on why people aren't hunting for it?

We had the first one open to everyone but I noticed when we started off Cache the Rat as members-only, I could look at who's been looking at the cache page. Since I'm impatient and know it's taking people longer to find my first cache than it does for them to find a cache hidden by more known cachers, it gives me some patience to feel like they're looking. They may not be at the site looking for Cache the Rat because it's a cemetery and daylight only (plus weather), but I know they're thinking about it. So, we switched over Ample Micro to members-only.

- HauntHunters

We had the first one open to everyone but I noticed when we started off Cache the Rat as members-only, I could look at who's been looking at the cache page. Since I'm impatient and know it's taking people longer to find my first cache than it does for them to find a cache hidden by more known cachers, it gives me some patience to feel like they're looking. They may not be at the site looking for Cache the Rat because it's a cemetery and daylight only (plus weather), but I know they're thinking about it. So, we switched over Ample Micro to members-only.

Well good luck on both :) I'd come and shoot for FTF, except I'm way up here in Canada, so that's not likely to happen anytime soon... but I'm sure someone will!

Well good luck on both :) I'd come and shoot for FTF, except I'm way up here in Canada, so that's not likely to happen anytime soon... but I'm sure someone will!

Thanks! :D

At this point, I'm willing to meet someone at Ample Micro and point it out to them. :)

It'll get found or I'll give up and archive. Whichever comes first. :D

- HauntHunters

It'll get found or I'll give up and archive. Whichever comes first. :)

Aww, don't archive... leave it be, it will get found sooner or later. If the local cachers are in a conspiracy to snub you, well, eventually an out-of-towner will find it :)

Do you have caching events at all in your area? Here in Ottawa we have weekend events twice a year where cachers go on a 24-hour blitz to find new caches (placed specifically for the event) and meet for dinner afterwards. My first cache placement was timed for this event, so I got lots of traffic on that Friday and Saturday. The first logs were DNFs, which did concern me, but some people did find it (accidentally, even) and later at the dinner I was able to talk to people to find out what they liked or didn't like about my cache.

As it turns out there were a number of issues with it that I would not have done had I been more experienced a finder. Still, the reason most people DNF'd was because I was a little bit too unique. My waypoint tags were little birdhouses tied to trees. Everyone was so used to Dymo plastic tags nailed to trees, they completely overlooked the birdhouses! (Also my first set of coords were a little off.. that didn't help either :D )

Edited by GreyingJay

It'll get found or I'll give up and archive. Whichever comes first. :D

Aww, don't archive... leave it be, it will get found sooner or later. If the local cachers are in a conspiracy to snub you, well, eventually an out-of-towner will find it :)

Do you have caching events at all in your area? Here in Ottawa we have weekend events twice a year where cachers go on a 24-hour blitz to find new caches (placed specifically for the event) and meet for dinner afterwards. My first cache placement was timed for this event, so I got lots of traffic on that Friday and Saturday. The first logs were DNFs, which did concern me, but some people did find it (accidentally, even) and later at the dinner I was able to talk to people to find out what they liked or didn't like about my cache.

As it turns out there were a number of issues with it that I would not have done had I been more experienced a finder. Still, the reason most people DNF'd was because I was a little bit too unique. My waypoint tags were little birdhouses tied to trees. Everyone was so used to Dymo plastic tags nailed to trees, they completely overlooked the birdhouses! (Also my first set of coords were a little off.. that didn't help either :D )

Thanks again! You've been very helpful!! :)

- HauntHunters

If there isn't a tropical depression rolling through this weekend, I gotta believe your caches will be found.

The First to DNF on your cache is a guy who puts out first rate stuff - a couple of their hides are on my all time favorites list, even though they are suburban hides (usually dead last on my personal preference list).

You just missed the annual Survivors Event in the area - you would have met 2/3 of the local cachers there.

There's an evening event upcoming in Naples, and a CITO over on the east coast. The CITO will pull many of the cachers from your area, if you can make it, you'll meet most of 'your' locals. And you get to do some exciting trash pick-up!CITO event

Evening Meet & Greet

If there isn't a tropical depression rolling through this weekend, I gotta believe your caches will be found.

The First to DNF on your cache is a guy who puts out first rate stuff - a couple of their hides are on my all time favorites list, even though they are suburban hides (usually dead last on my personal preference list).

You just missed the annual Survivors Event in the area - you would have met 2/3 of the local cachers there.

There's an evening event upcoming in Naples, and a CITO over on the east coast. The CITO will pull many of the cachers from your area, if you can make it, you'll meet most of 'your' locals. And you get to do some exciting trash pick-up!CITO event

Evening Meet & Greet

Thanks! With the husband's hip replacement, he (and therefore we) were on house restriction. I've managed to do one of rwsherlock's hides and really like the ideas behind their others. We're looking forward to getting out there, we just haven't been able to geocache in the way we'd like, yet.

Thanks for the link. I keep looking at events and wondering which ones we'll be able to finally make! :)

- HauntHunters