South Carolina Coin

ATMouse

I keep looking and looking at the palmetto on the SC coin, and there is a human skull in the design in that tree - I've seen it in several coins now...in fact, I'd say there were several stick/human figures in the design as well, but that could be because I've looked at it so often.

Have others seen the skull?

Why is it in there?

Who designed this coin?

The coin was designed by Sissy and CR. There does appear to be a skull, not sure why but I'll be happy to find out why. Here's a larger image for those wanting to see it.

***Ok I found an answer for you, from the SCGA forums:

Sissy: One of CR's ideas: A very small skull hidden in the palmetto tree as a tribute to Edgar Allen Poe's 'The Gold Bug', which is set in SC and is about a hunt for a treasure. (The seeker had to look through the skull to find the treasure).

coin2.jpg

Sissy-n-Cr's page

edited to add url

Edited by UOTrackers

The coin was designed by Sissy and CR. There does appear to be a skull, not sure why but I'll be happy to find out why. Here's a larger image for those wanting to see it.

***Ok I found an answer for you, from the SCGA forums:

Sissy: One of CR's ideas: A very small skull hidden in the palmetto tree as a tribute to Edgar Allen Poe's 'The Gold Bug', which is set in SC and is about a hunt for a treasure. (The seeker had to look through the skull to find the treasure).

Sissy-n-Cr's page

Thank you very much for that. It answers a question I had in another thread, and gets this coin officially added to my "skull" list.

Instead of creating a new topic, I thought I would use this one to ask my question. Someone sent me a SC coin in a trade. How many versions were done? I understand there was one SC coin with a blue back and a plain back. Was the plain back more expensive than the blue back?

Edited by LadeBear68

Was the plain back more expensive than the blue back?

I don't know, but I do know the solid silver version was a LOT more expensive. ;)

Yea... I thought there was a nickel version (that one had a colored back), and silver version (no color).

Where's Sissy or CR when you got a question? :laughing:

I can't find it now, but I remember the thread discussions at the beginnings of the South Carolina coin project. Lots of people gave their input, and I distinctly remember people "voting" to include the skull in the image. I don't recall the reference to Edgar Allan Poe, but I do remember people wanting to include the skull for another reason. At the time, the South Carolina legislature had just proposed a bill banning geocaching. I have no idea where this issue has gone since, but somehow the thread mentioned including stuff on the coin as symbols of the potential "death" of geocaching. Another bit of geocoin history, I suppose.

ETA: Thanks Welch for finding the threads!

Edited by YemonYime

... At the time, the South Carolina legislature had just proposed a bill banning geocaching. I have no idea where this issue has gone since, but somehow the thread mentioned including stuff on the coin as symbols of the potential "death" of geocaching. Another bit of geocoin history, I suppose.

This issue is currently a "non issue" and hopefully will stay that way! One of the reasons we are planning a celebration party to show we're all still here, caching away!

So the answer to my question is that there was a colored version and a non colored version that was expensive?

Yes, LadeBear68 there is a colored nickel version that ran about $7-$8.00 each and the .99% fine silver non color that was considerably more.

Actually, in one of those linked threads I think it said they were going to be 92.5% silver, but maybe that changed before they were minted. I would think the percentage, and whatever the orginal cost could be figured out by emailing Sissy or CR and asking.