New Jersey's Finest Caches - a list of the best!

nikcap

While I've been planning out my route the seek the NJ County Challenge, I thought it would be nice to see the best of the state.

Let's put together a list of a favorite caches.

(If PA can make a list so can we!) :lol:

Here's a few to get started from my last few months of caching.

Secaucus Panorama (GCH6MZ) - by marty621 - There are so many aspects to this one that makes it a awesome cache. Get view and a interesting a unique geological feature in the heart of the Meadowlands.

gerbiL cacHe (GCC8) - by cach=e_ninjA - The oldest cache in NJ, nice hike with some nice view along the way. Simple but original physical hide.

TNLNSL - Prototype'A' (GCT53W) - A 'Lavarock Special' - Very different type of cache hunt.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Edited by ekitt10

While I've been planning out my route the seek the NJ County Challenge, I thought it would be nice to see the best of the state.

Let's put together a list of a favorite caches.

(If PA can make a list so can we!) :tired:

How about a vote for The Copper Mine Series By John Lambert in the Watchung Reservation? I'm just posting the link to the first of three, they are all "inter-related" with a multi-cache concept.

Very old school, placed in 2001 and 2002, and also very well maintained by the owner.

By the way, I haven't been to the Watchung Reservation in almost 2.5 years. Looks like there are now more than twice as many caches as there were in early 2004. I have to get back there sometime :blink:

NNJC had an awards presentation for best caches in North Jersey in May. The thread discussing that may be a good starting point for a list of good caches there.

Nnjc Awards Event, Finally, it's time to see who won..

As for South Jersey a list will need to be compiled there but here are a few nominees that I would throw out"

The Swamp Monster (GCKZV1) by The BiscuitMan - This take you out to some unique and challenging terrain in the Wharton State forest. For a real challenge go during a wet season and remember it is in the swamp.

House Numbers (GCE5DA) by Steves Family - This multi cache will take you all over Salem county on a hunt to find old brick houses with patterns in the brick which will lead you to the next one. The houses date from the 1700's and are a treasure - though respect property rights as some of them are still private and occupied - you can see what you need to see from the road.

Choreographed Chaos (GCNME9) by Dirty_Bird & BigNastyBrain This is the Mother of All Puzzle Caches for South Jersey. It will take you all over the Wharton State Forest in your quest for the final cache. Be prepared to invest some quality time to find this cache. Best done as a team effort.

Lonely Twin Pines (GC43E) by RAT Team 6

Like the Swamp Monster, this is best appreciated in a wet season.

As for your nominees Nik, The gerbiL cachE is a must pilgrimage to pay hommage to the first NJ cache, Secaucus Panorama - its a big, BIG rock! and Prototype A would be on my South Jersey list if you had not already nominated it on yours.

Edited by Frodo_Underhill

My favorites include:

Ay Carumba!! by Artful Dodger. Just a really nice hike.

Edison's Dark Rock by Treequest. Has it all. History, nice walk, scenic area and a challenging hiding place for those of us with certain phobias.

Allamuchy Climber Cache by Hartclimbs. Nice view and its a challenge to find the easy way to the cache. Could be 4 star terrain if you don't choose your route wisely.

Fox Den by Packanack. This one's largely been ignored by area geocachers, but its a fun hunt that lets you finally use the waypoint projection feature on your GPS. The area is also scenic. One of those tucked away spots that you never knew was there.

NY NJ Multi State Multi Cache by Waterboy. Challenging terrain, excellent hike and outstanding views. An absolute must do for every NJ geocacher. Try it in the fall when the leaves are turning and you won't be disappointed. 90 percent of it is in NJ so I'm considering it a NJ cache for this thread's sake.

Pinwheel Vista by Team DiviDivi. Heart pumping climb to an outstanding view.

Terrace Pond North by Harry Dolphin. Another cache that has largely been ignored by local geocachers. Great hike, nice views. What more can you ask?

Middle a Nowhere by Team Magster. Talk about ignored. 6 finds in 3 1/2 years. Great walk and a challenge to pick out the correct route.

Melvins Multiple Madness by Marty621. I think everyone in NJ knows what the deal is with this incredibly fun and challenging hunt.

The Giants Stairs by Artful Dodger. Love this area. Nice views, fun hunt.

GC5 by Pheligan. Could be the most physically demanding cache in northern NJ. You can get a nice two fer if you combine this with Harry D's Terrace Pond North.

Wanaque Overlook by Team Magster. Great hike and outstanding views.

Windbeam's Windfall by Rubberduky. A pretty stiff climb but well worth it when you reach the time. One of the best views in NJ.

Edited by briansnat

Best Views in Northern NJ

I had started a best views bookmark for those that I had found. Harry Dolphin and Andy Bear have a few outstanding view caches overlooking the New York Skyline, which views are the best, but I didn't find the caches so they did not make the list. Windbeam is on my list even though I didn't find it, just because of the views and the effort made to get there.

I started a meritorious micros list but that one is too small.

Are You Crazy? by dhenning25 (GCN8EC)

Devil's Hole by Bluehook (GCGY04)

even though 'crazy' drove me nuts with the puzzle AND the find, actually finding it was VERY satisfying....the hole weren't too bad a puzzle, made for a really nice jaunt, but finding the actual cache took 3 trips to the GZ (which wasn't TOO bad considering it's so close to me)....but again, finding the box made for much self-back-slapping...both times many curses were leveled upon the hiders and other nasty thing said about them once the caches were found...but at least I was smiling when I said it....

I love anything that brings me to a place with neat natural attractions...combine that with stuff of historical signifigance and I'm a happy cacher!

If you are looking for a Sussex County puzzle cache, this one is awesome and has been largely ignored: The Pochuck's Treasures I think there was actually an easier way to decrypt the puzzle, but my more tedious method worked anyway. I intended to put it on my list of favorites, but didn't get around to it yet. There was a little confusion with the contents at the first stage, but there were enough clues that it was still findable, even though I didn't truly solve the puzzle :)

Very nice hike with a great view at the final location :D

Someone recently reminded me how cool this cache is:

Manunka Chunk Tunnels

And in my quest for the 25 oldest cache in NJ, I found this gem:

Hoffman. The 'tudes are a bit off, but the walk is really nice and it's a bird watchers haven.

Sheesh, I remember when the Hoffman cache showed up on the the first or second page of my closest cache search. It probably wouldn't make the nearest 800 now.

Someone recently reminded me how cool this cache is:

Manunka Chunk Tunnels

And in my quest for the 25 oldest cache in NJ, I found this gem:

Hoffman. The 'tudes are a bit off, but the walk is really nice and it's a bird watchers haven.

Sheesh, I remember when the Hoffman cache showed up on the the first or second page of my closest cache search. It probably wouldn't make the nearest 800 now.

That's what you get for placing so many caches and not finding them :huh:

I think if I had to think of one cache that says "New Joisey" it would have to be the already mentioned Secaucus Panorama. The location is just straight up Jersey. Loved it. :(

Here are the names of a few that are, in my opinion, very VERY cool (in no particular order) --

Twisted Chipman by padlinfool:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...bc-12f6ce1c2720

Look at the Ducks by Peconic Bay Sailors:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...7f-4380e55ecb69

Treasure of the Flying Dutchman by Old Navy:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...5d-2468c2bcea27

Rest In P_ _ _ ? by Natureboy44:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...73-ddce6de04828

OUT ON A LIMB by White Whiskey:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...21-72e0e168d308

Tiny Often Empty Park: Somerset, NJ by Kitegirl:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...fb-2160d1fe4dd0

Pathfinder (night cache) by Natureboy44:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...e1-161be6cd8dff

Esplanade by GerIRL:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...62-8fe2bd7eff40

Organon by GerIRL:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4b-e79d20ffc0f9

Lobster Thermidor aux Crevettes in a Mornay Sauce by TucsonThompsen (adopted by Ekitt10)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c3-86fa90501451

Magoo's Motors by The Ever Mobile Magoo:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...9c-b84ab6ba8e67

Tom, Dick, or Harry? by Natureboy44:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...5f-5dbedfaf1695

Ice Cream Cone "Jimmies" by Peconic Bay sailors:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b4-7d66ec4768c6

Dead Center by JRT Team:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...5f-851bf872409d

Trollsbane by King Pellinore's patented Cache-o-Matic:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c7-1026efc456b9

Wheretogo?Vertigo! by King Pellinore's to blame for this one:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...07-cc145d231d6f

Wow, its great that you have all put this list together! I host a podcast (weekly audio show available for free download online) called "Jersey Geocaching" and I have been browsing geocaching.com for some of the best (and hardest) new jersey caches! I will definetely use some of the caches mentioned in a future show!

Who will adopt this superb cache---GC3D1B. Among the all time best, a beautiful location and view with historical significance--but not being maintained. Will no one adopt ?

I thought that Jerseytrex had taken that one under their wing? Though we haven't seen much of Mike and Nikki since their wedding. Hmmm...

Same thought occured to us... Mike & Nikki... what have you two been doing???!!! Wink, Wink, Nudge, Nudge... :rolleyes:049.gif

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors

I hat a great one at the end of Island Beach State Park. On top of a wooded area carved out by the tide. Nice views and a nice 2 mile hike down the coast of the inlet. Everything was fine until Trowel32 came and said it was "environmentally damaging".

The Log:

August 6, 2006 by trowel32 (2135 found)

Got to within 100 feet of this one. We really enjoyed kayaking the bay to get here. It is a beautiful area. As far as I can tell the cache is located on top and near the edge of a 30 foot high dune which is actively eroding. Maybe the CO didn't realize it is a dune as it is one that has actually established itself with some decent vegetation other than dune grass, but it is a dune nonetheless. There were two eroded paths leading up to the top of the dune, one very near the cache location. I wasn't going to add to the erosion by going up there. Since I did not actually go up there to look for the cache, I won't recommend archiving the cache at this point, since I can't confirm that that is definitely where it is, but based on the hint, that is the only place it can be and that is the way the GPS was pointing. I will, however check with my friend who did find it and if he confirms it is there I will recommend archiving it. A beautiful area, but an environmentally damaging spot for a cache placement.

I'm sure the russing current is fine. It really pisses me off to have some out of towner come down to one of my favorite BENNY-less areas on the shore that I invited cachers to, to have my cache archived. I'll think about where I put my caches next time. Maybe at streetlight on Rt. 35. Wait. Walking on grass can kill it. Thats "environmentally damaging"

I hat a great one at the end of Island Beach State Park. On top of a wooded area carved out by the tide. Nice views and a nice 2 mile hike down the coast of the inlet. Everything was fine until Trowel32 came and said it was "environmentally damaging".

It IS a great scenic area. I would recommend that folks visit this area by foot or boat, just not the specific area where the cache was located.

If I recall correctly, POFE wrote that the cache could be reinstated provided that you got permission from Island Beach State Park. I guess that was too much trouble for such a great cache? Based on the lack of maintenance on your other caches, I'm guessing that this cache would have been archived by now anyway, with or without my input.

I don't know if I am a "Benny", but I have been going to Island Beach since before you were born ;)

"I'll think about where I put my caches next time."

That is usually a good first step. ;)

But folks aren't we getting a little off on a tangent. This is a thread for a list of the best, not a thread for flaming.

And here is what I am looking for. I am looking for the most difficult hiking cache in Northern New Jersey. I want nominees for most difficult hiking cache, no multis-- no micros in the woods/swamps etc.

Just a good old fashioned cache to hike for. North Jersey above the Route 80 line .TIA.

Why, because some of the Sunrise folk want to identify the premier hiking cache. And then they want to drag sorry butts over hill and dale to place a cache which will set the standard for the genre.

So can you help us out here on the premier hiker caches. Distance, attraction and views all play into this.

We would also like recommendations on where to stick it .

Edited by Packanack
And here is what I am looking for. I am looking for the most difficult hiking cache in Northern New Jersey. I want nominees for most difficult hiking cache, no multis-- no micros in the woods/swamps etc.

No multis rules out the king of all hiking caches, NY/NJ Multi State Multi Cache and the crown prince, Eye Carumba. Actually most of the really good hiking that I can think of are multis. TRL's Petroglyph Trail, Graffiti Rock Ramble, Giant Stairs, Splitrock Splendor and Terrace Pond North.

I don't know anything about being the best, but give my Indian Cliffs cache a try coming in from Split Rock Rd. It's quite a hike. 8+ miles if you do the full loop and close to that even if you go out and back.

My Kittitanny Ridge and Day at the Beech are also both nice walks. If you want difficult, try my River Rocks cache.

Though I haven't done them, Helispot and Dreamcatcher have a good rep as hiker caches. And GC5 has long been a favorite of mine.

Some others that come to mind are Middle a Nowhere, Resolution, Allamuchy Climber

Edited by briansnat

I'm sure the russing current is fine. It really pisses me off to have some out of towner come down to one of my favorite BENNY-less areas on the shore that I invited cachers to, to have my cache archived. I'll think about where I put my caches next time. Maybe at streetlight on Rt. 35. Wait. Walking on grass can kill it. Thats "environmentally damaging"

It's illegal to walk on, climb over, trample, geocache on, bend, fold, spindle or mutilate the sand dunes in Island Beach State Park, or just about anywhere else in NJ. You would think a local would know that better then a "Benny". So yes, please think about where you place the next cache.

Also, please think about the forum guidelines before you post again.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=boardrules

Here are a few I see falling by the wayside the last few posts:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

Keep on topic: Responses to a particular thread should be on-topic and pertain to the discussion. Users should use the New Topic button to start a new discussion which would otherwise be off-topic in the current thread. Threads that are off topic may be closed by the moderator.

Private Discussions: Sometimes, a discussion thread strays off into a friendly dialogue or a heated debate among a very small number of users. For these exchanges, use the private discussion feature that is provided through the Groundspeak forums, or the Geocaching.com e-mail system. Public forum posts should be reserved for matters of interest to the general community.

Woodlit - it's three, only three (so far!) :D Just kiddin'...I never intended to hurt anyone's feelings. Just too much of an eco-freak I guess. I know people are just trying to share cool locations when they hide those crazy little boxes, but its important to think about the effect that dozens of cacher's feet will have on the area before hiding them.

OK - back to the topic at hand :D

Yes, go do Briansnat's "Indian Cliffs" ...what a great view! We actually skipped that part of the trail and took the road last time we hiked around the reservoir, so it was a very nice suprise to see that fantastic view. You will sleep well if you do that whole loop - I think its 12-13 miles. We didn't even do the section on the south side of Split Rock Road (where "Up there" and "the maze" are) and we were still shot the next day :D

The loop up to Rob's Invite, Helispot and up to Dreamcatcher and Sunfish Pond might be a good place if you are thinking of a new cache placement. It is an approx. 10 mile loop and there aren't all that many caches up there. You just have to stay away from the National Park Service land.

Edited by trowel32

No multis rules out the king of all hiking caches, NY/NJ Multi State Multi Cache and the crown prince, Eye Carumba. Actually most of the really good hiking that I can think of are multis. TRL's Petroglyph Trail, Graffiti Rock Ramble, Giant Stairs, Splitrock Splendor and Terrace Pond North.

I just redid the markers for Stages 1-4 on the Petroglyph Trail Challenge and replaced them today. Those of you who have been holding out should head out for a hike. Just update your listing before you do.

IMHO - 2 caches that are notable for their scenery are

Mission Impossible 2: Audrey's Awesome Adventure - This is a 2 stage multi that takes you on up on the bluffs of a huge blue hole. The roundtrip hike is just under a mile if you have 4x4 capability to drive close to ground zero.

122 Elizabeth Avenue Again, this is a short hike if you have 4x4 capability - less than a mile - but the area is amazing & the history of the abandoned resort is interesting. This is definitely not a cache to do during the summer months (unless you like donating blood to insects!)

OK, so there have been mixed sentiments in the logs for this one. Some people came right out and stated "I did not like this cache", I think mostly due to the vegetation, but I thought it was great:

Wilderness Island (no boat required) by Team Total Perspective Vortex (GCHRN6)

I didn't have the slightest clue that this was an official park when I was searching for Stage 1. Not until I came upon the kiosk with the park map showing the "trails". Sort of weird NJ-esque neglected park. You can see the trails on Google Earth since (I would assume) the image was taken in the winter. I could see some evidence of trails here and could make out some scattered benches engulfed in two to three foot high weeds. Really neat landform - an island in the middle of the Wanaque River, but "no boat required". To get the full experience, make sure you come in the summer and WEAR LONG PANTS :unsure:

OH..and I concur with Evil Chicken's south jersey picks above :) Both great scenic spots.

OK, so there have been mixed sentiments in the logs for this one. Some people came right out and stated "I did not like this cache", I think mostly due to the vegetation, but I thought it was great:

Wilderness Island (no boat required) by Team Total Perspective Vortex (GCHRN6)

I didn't have the slightest clue that this was an official park when I was searching for Stage 1. Not until I came upon the kiosk with the park map showing the "trails". Sort of weird NJ-esque neglected park. You can see the trails on Google Earth since (I would assume) the image was taken in the winter. I could see some evidence of trails here and could make out some scattered benches engulfed in two to three foot high weeds. Really neat landform - an island in the middle of the Wanaque River, but "no boat required". To get the full experience, make sure you come in the summer and WEAR LONG PANTS :o

OH..and I concur with Evil Chicken's south jersey picks above :) Both great scenic spots.

Funny about that "Park". It was little more than an overgrown lot, then about 7 - 8 years ago it was cleared by Boy Scouts and the benches were installed. It was a cute little place once the work done. I had been eyeing it for a cache when TTPV put theirs there. It has since started going back to its original overgrown state.

Edited by briansnat