MicroSD data card, CN8 NT, North America + GPSMAP60 CSx

viamundi

Has somebody installed the combination as described in the topic title. I have the following questions:

1. Can I use the microSD data cards in more than one GPSr provieded the unit works with this kind of data cards?

2. Is it possible to copy the data on the microSD card to one or more PC using Mapsource 6.11.3 and predefine routes and tracks?

3. Are the microSd cards protected with an authentication code like some of the other Mapsource maps?

Thank you for your answers.

1. Can I use the microSD data cards in more than one GPSr provieded the unit works with this kind of data cards?
Yes and no.

Of course you can use the microSD card in any unit you like. But the map-image file on the card is encrypted in a way so that you can use the maps only on the GPSr which you have unlocked with the authentication key.

2. Is it possible to copy the data on the microSD card to one or more PC using Mapsource 6.11.3 and predefine routes and tracks?
Yes and no.

You can use Mapsource or your PC (you can set the GPSr to USB storage mode, so that the microSD-card appears on your PC as a harddisk) to copy track files, POI files and (encrypted) map image files. Route files are currently not supported on the microSD-card (status August 31st, 2006).

3. Are the microSd cards protected with an authentication code like some of the other Mapsource maps?
No. As described, only the map files on the microSD cards are protected.

NewZealand, thank you for your answers. However, now I have a view more questions.

How many authentication keys do I get with one CN8 NT v8 microSD card. Just one or perhaps two. As far as I know, I can use two devices with the CN NT v8 DVD version of the product.

How do I get the CN NT v8 maps on my PC. Can I download the maps from the microSD or does a CN NT v8 DVD come with the microSD card.

Can I create routes on my PC using the CN NT v8 maps using MapSource and send it to the GPSr.

How mouch space is left on a CN8 microSD to store additional GPX logs. I assume the handling of these logs is like with any other microSD not preloaded with CN NT v8.

NewZealand, thank you for your answers. However, now I have a view more questions.

How many authentication keys do I get with one CN8 NT v8 microSD card. Just one or perhaps two. As far as I know, I can use two devices with the CN NT v8 DVD version of the product.

How do I get the CN NT v8 maps on my PC. Can I download the maps from the microSD or does a CN NT v8 DVD come with the microSD card.

Can I create routes on my PC using the CN NT v8 maps using MapSource and send it to the GPSr.

How mouch space is left on a CN8 microSD to store additional GPX logs. I assume the handling of these logs is like with any other microSD not preloaded with CN NT v8.

Here others should chime in, because I learned that there can be many differences between the different map software (I own CN 8 Europe, bought on DVD, not on micro-SD card).

The only thing I want to remark, is, that you can create routes on your PC with mapsource and send it to the unit.

Edited by NewZealand

Why would you spend 300 dollars for the pre-mapped MicroSD card of citynavNT when you can just buy the DVD and get a 1gb card and have the exact same thing for half the price? CitynavNT takes up like 950MB.

I just try to find out if it would be legal to lend a pre-mapped MicroSD card to a friend. Than it would make a lot of sense to get one of these pre-mapped microSd cards.

I do not find a lot of information on the Garmin site on how the authentication keys work with this new pre-mapped microSD cards.

May be someone who owns a pre-mapped microSD card can shed some light on this.