log sheets or log books

i have a few caches out and the first one has a log book. the rest i have used a log sheet. the reason for the log sheets is because after it gets full, i will scan it on the computer and post it to the geoplant's page. scanning a bunch of pages from a log book would seem to be time consuming. the log sheets are simple, "name, time and day" but no room to add coments or what was traded. but that info i don't really see too important because that info can be added in the "found it" post. personally, i use gpxsonar on my ppc to make my logs on the spot. i can understand for those who do not use a pda to want to write their comments on the spot.

as a geoplant placer, which do you prefer, a log book or log sheet? (i know it would be based on the size of the container but if the container is large enough for a log book)

as a geoplant finder, which do you prefer, a log book or log sheet?

As both hider and finder: Log book. Plain and simple: less maintenance for my own caches, and they're less likely to be full when I get there to log my find.

this is a good reason. i actually know how many lines i have for people to log. if i have 25 lines, i check it once i get 20 found logs. (incase some used a couple of lines.) so far, all the geoplants i have placed are close to home. but a good point. thank you

You should remember, too, that even if you have X amount of lines, someone with a BIG sticker will come along and take up 2-3 lines. You should realize that even with an "initial only" request lots of folks who prefer to use stickers are going to use them no matter what. Even on my smallest hides I usally hand-fashion the thickest book-type log I can muster. As Team Perks said, maintenance is a major consideration here.

I prefer logbooks where people can write down a little about their hunt. When I find caches I enjoy paging through the logbooks and reading about others' experience with the cache. When I find the cache on an 95 degree August day, its neat reading logs complaining about the snow, or ice, or cold or seeing mention of the bear that was hanging next to the cache two years ago, or the rattlesnake that was buzzing away 15 feet away while the finder was logging in.

Sheets that only fit names or initials should be a last resort for containers that don't fit logbooks.

I prefer logbooks where people can write down a little about their hunt. When I find caches I enjoy paging through the logbooks and reading about others' experience with the cache. When I find the cache on an 95 degree August day, its neat reading logs complaining about the snow, or ice, or cold or seeing mention of the bear that was hanging next to the cache two years ago, or the rattlesnake that was buzzing away 15 feet away while the finder was logging in.

Sheets that only fit names or initials should be a last resort for containers that don't fit logbooks.

Ditto on what Briansnat said..... I enjoy reading a bit about the find at the cache site, and adding my own comments! I'm always disappointed in logsheets... nothing much to read, except a record of who stopped. Also, on that same point, the micros (match containers, etc..) where the logsheet is rolled up... it can be so hard to unroll that thing to write on it....

geoplant

:lol::lol:

The cache, the hide - think he/she is alluding to the "planting" of a cache in terms of the way a gardener plants his garden and then lovingly maintains said plants.

Oh, and I like books - solid performer, everyone knows where to sign next, and I just hate those curled up log books in small/micro containers. Need a nice flat surface to write on (my leg is round) and when it gets a little moist, the pen tends to go through the paper.

i have a few caches out and the first one has a log book. the rest i have used a log sheet. the reason for the log sheets is because after it gets full, i will scan it on the computer and post it to the geoplant's page. scanning a bunch of pages from a log book would seem to be time consuming. the log sheets are simple, "name, time and day" but no room to add coments or what was traded. but that info i don't really see too important because that info can be added in the "found it" post. personally, i use gpxsonar on my ppc to make my logs on the spot. i can understand for those who do not use a pda to want to write their comments on the spot.

as a geoplant placer, which do you prefer, a log book or log sheet? (i know it would be based on the size of the container but if the container is large enough for a log book)

as a geoplant finder, which do you prefer, a log book or log sheet?

I personally do not care, as long as the cach owner keeps a fresh one in the cache! Its extremely annoying to find a cache with a full book/sheet that has 10-12 scribbled names in various places and a similar number of logs on gc.com that say the book is full and nothing is done!

I usually carry small cheapy addressbooks with me (5 for $1 at party city) and will drop them in caches that have full log books, that is if they will fit.

I prefer logbooks with one notable exception. I HATE post-it pads with a passion. By the time a dozen people have found it, it is in shambles and nearly imposible to figure out where to sign.

With my micros (film cans and altoid tins) I'll make a small logbook by cutting out small business-card sized pages and stapling them together into a small book.

With my meager number of finds, and no hides, I have decided that logbooks are the thing. I find it hard to be sneaky unrolling a log page, or picking up little scraps of paper that have gotten away from me when I tried to find a clean spot to sign in.

When I hide, if the cache is to be too small for a logbook, I believe I will cut a notepad of the gimme type in half lengthwise, keeping a staple at the top of each section. So what if I have to replace it sooner, I need to be checking any caches I place anyway, don't I?

geoplant

:laughing::laughing:

geoplant

<_<:blink:

The cache, the hide - think he/she is alluding to the "planting" of a cache in terms of the way a gardener plants his garden and then lovingly maintains said plants.

Oh, and I like books - solid performer, everyone knows where to sign next, and I just hate those curled up log books in small/micro containers. Need a nice flat surface to write on (my leg is round) and when it gets a little moist, the pen tends to go through the paper.

(he... john wayne actually. my mom always called me by my initials "jw" and then in short "j dub" and with my last name, people always called me "pooch" because that was a fourth of my actual last name and also how you pronounce the first part of my last name) you are correct about the origin i use in reference to geoplants. since i use that term in most of my logs, i have noticed some one now referning to them as geowarts. i'm not sure if thats a good or bad? i had warts as a child and they were a news sense. (i forgot how to spell) but i wanted to come up with some thing of my own and hoped it would carry on as a regular term by others. :blink:

well the people have spoken. log books it is. reasons from posters are good ones and some i did not think of. and i agree about finding logs that are full and many post on their geoplant's page letting them know they are full and 5 months later it has not been taken care of. i also dislike having to unroll tiny little logs.

my main things are... i like micros because those are usually quick easy finds that i can do while i'm at work. i usually drive around giving estimates and checking up on employees in the feild so i get some free time and i will usually take small brakes to stop by for them but only if they are close to where i am and are short and quick. (also the same with benchmarks... i love those benchmarks) but i do not like going to places that could have a big cache container and all it is is this tiny little log all rolled up. i mean, i do like challenging hard to find micros but come on. i like micros because it allows me to have a good use for this expensive gps/ppc i got. geocaching is fun!!! on these i do not spend a lot of time there so i prefer log sheets no matter what the container size is.

and on that note... i like the big cache containers along hikes and in areas where very few may go and accidently find a cache and destroy it. i love the ones where you go thinking it may be small and you find an ammo box or large tupperware. but i usually save the big ones for going out with my kids. we also like the multi ones. the funnest one we did was one where each leg had a piece to a map that had coords to the final leg. those kind i like to have log books because i spend more time going through to see what others experienced while there. but also, i use gpxsonar on my gps/ppc and write my thoughts in it to post on the cache page because i want others who have not been there yet to know how much i ehjoyed being there and hope it will influence them to go.

thank you for your responses. thanks to the people for speaking out... i will use log books when ever possible. i will even replace the caches i have out that have log sheets with log books when they get full.

Edited by JDubPooch

I only like logbooks!

Part of the enjoyment for my wife and I is reading the logbook to see what experiences others had while hunting the cache. The logs in the cache are usually more specific to the experience the person had while hunting that specific cache. Online logs seem to me more general on how the cache fit into the day of caching.

I wish all of you that shared our passion for reading and writing in logbooks cached around me. There seems to be a dumbing down of log entries. Entries are much shorter and nonspecific on many caches we have found this year. The log entries are more similar to logs that we would only see in micros a couple years ago, i.e. out caching with ??? this is number X of Y TFTC TNLN.

My wife does not read any of the online logs and she really looks forward to the log books and this type of logging has really frustrated her this year. One day we found several caches in the woods that had been out for a while and almost every log was a short snip-it similar to the one above. She was so angry at all the other finders for being so lazy. She compensated for they lack of creativity(caring) and filled two pages and I did my best to make the online logs worth reading.

I think one of the nicest complement I have received lately was from LumberJack Tom after finding and not finding many of his cache in Louisville. He sent me a nice note about some the DNF's and he said that he appreciated my logs - that I have gone above and beyond on writing my logs - I still smile thinking about that. Thanks Lumberjack Tom! That made my day!

GEO.JOE

I like log sheets better. When log books get wet because the cache didn't have a watertight seal, they are really hard to dry out. They tend to get moldy. Log sheets on the other hand can be dried out with a few minutes in the sun. (Everybody else who expressed an opinion said log books, so I thought I'd make the argurment for log sheets :D )

Edited by tozainamboku
geoplant

:D:D

does 'geoplant' = cache place / hide ???

Anyway, I prefer log books to sheets. After sheets have be folded and refolded for a while they tend to start getting very wrinkled and begin tearing. Logbooks tend to last better over time, and if i'm so inclinded are much easier to read. (And yes I realize small or odd sized caches can't always fit a 'regular' logbook.)

I have recently started hiding micros as part one of a two part multi that leads to a Decon container with a tiny dollar store notebook cut in half.

I got tired of changing logsheets because of moisture...... Just throw in the notebook & a pencil ,and you're good to go for a long time.

Part two is always the easy part.

O'BG

There seems to be a dumbing down of log entries. Entries are much shorter and nonspecific on many caches we have found this year. The log entries are more similar to logs that we would only see in micros a couple years ago, i.e. out caching with ??? this is number X of Y TFTC TNLN.

i know the feeling. on one of my geoplants, the online log was "tnln" that was it period. not even a cut paste of "hi, out caching today, tfth tnlnsl"

My wife does not read any of the online logs and she really looks forward to the log books and this type of logging has really frustrated her this year.

here in arizona, i prefer to read the logs online. and like i mentioned earlier, i use gpxsonar (great program) and make my logs. the bad thing is that i started caching in march. it has gotten hot since then. i do not go on the trails or deep in the desert right now. i will when it gets to be mid october and i will spend more time at the cache site.

Why not make your own log books by stapling several sheets together. Then when they are full you can pull the staples out and scan them in.

this may be something to consider. but one of my geoplants recently got rained out and if was full of mud and yuky. i pulled the pages out and dried them in the 103 arizona sun and they dried within a few minutes. i will scan them this weekend and get that cache back out.

I just started yesterday so forgive if this off topic.Im looking for a download or pdf of both logbook and log sheet. my first cache had an explaination of what this is if found by muggle or someone not hip to geocaching.Thanx Billy :)

do a gogle search on "geocache log sheet" and there are a few sites with what you are looking for. that is where i got mine. i altered them to fit what i wanted on them.

I like log sheets better. When log books get wet because the cache didn't have a watertight seal, they are really hard to dry out. They tend to get moldy. Log sheets on the other hand can be dried out with a few minutes in the sun. (Everybody else who expressed an opinion said log books, so I thought I'd make the argurment for log sheets :huh: )

what i said just a second ago. lucky i did have it in a ziplock bag, but they are only as good as the last person to zip it up. the bag was in good shape. ziplocks do no good when they worn out with holes or when the last person to use it does not zip it back up.

geoplant

B):)

does 'geoplant' = cache place / hide ???

Anyway, I prefer log books to sheets. After sheets have be folded and refolded for a while they tend to start getting very wrinkled and begin tearing. Logbooks tend to last better over time, and if i'm so inclinded are much easier to read. (And yes I realize small or odd sized caches can't always fit a 'regular' logbook.)

geoplants = geocache. but in more of a refernce to a geocache that has been placed/planted/hidden.

ie. "we went out to your geoplant and had a good time. i got the message of a new geocache in the area so we made our way there. thanks for placing a nice geoplant in a great location. tnlnsl thanks for the hide"

i don't like log sheets that have been folded too many times also. i did one the other day that had been folded almost 20 times. the paper was worn in the folds and had not been very many logs yet. it was hard to sign it because it was all soft and wanted to tear where i was writing. i make my log sheets so that they do not fold more than 3-4 times. or i will make the log sheet smaller in paper size to make sure it does not get folded more than 3-4 times.

A caching friend of mine 'monimoni' made up a bunch of logbooks for a cache I placed. It has several laminated pages (not just the cover) that has postings from this forum and the Iowa forum, and several blank pages in the middle for cachers to write a log. I even placed a camouflaged small chair at the site so people could sit, read and write. (Hard to tell from the photos but it's full-sized paper)

a1d57bd8-9caa-4833-aed7-38c2c978916a.jpg

edf52455-e8e5-4c16-a6a6-dcfdf92f603f.jpg

4f31b39b-f9a9-48a0-876f-f5e82826fcec.jpg

Edited by BlueDeuce