The Ultimate Tick Removal Method

Super_Nate

This summer during the week of the 4th of July we were caching in the U.P. Michigan. The whole family kept coming back to the cabin with Ticks. One of my boys came up with the idea of scotch taping the live tick onto a bottle rocket. Normally I am against any kind of animal cruelty, but I never felt so much satisfaction lighting that fuse. Launched that blood sucker about 100ft. into the air and exploded with a loud boom. The boys would fight over who got to light the next fuse, but they both had plenty of turns. We probably sent about 2 dozen "Ticks in Space" as my two boys referred to it over the week.

This summer during the week of the 4th of July we were caching in the U.P. Michigan. The whole family kept coming back to the cabin with Ticks. One of my boys came up with the idea of scotch taping the live tick onto a bottle rocket. Normally I am against any kind of animal cruelty, but I never felt so much satisfaction lighting that fuse. Launched that blood sucker about 100ft. into the air and exploded with a loud boom. The boys would fight over who got to light the next fuse, but they both had plenty of turns. We probably sent about 2 dozen "Ticks in Space" as my two boys referred to it over the week.

That goes down as one of the best tick stories that has POPPED up on this thread sofar....thanks for sharing.

Here is another story that I got out of the same thread that I have been running on another forum that I thought was funny

I keep a small jar in the freezer section of the Fridge for all such finds...sort of like a trophy case of carcasses.

If I am away from the kitchen, I will pull out a coin (nickels work well) and put the little 8-legged critter on a smooth surface like a desk top. Then run over the offending arthropod with the coin on an angle and you can cut it right in two.

Years ago I worked with a fellow that kept a piece of tape rolled sticky side out stuck to the dash of the work truck. Find a tick and stick his back on the tape. You have a travel companion to keep you company.

Finally..If you have reading glasses & the sun is shining...Fried Ixodid!

Incorrect removal of a tick can cause it to vomit the contents of it's stomach into your blood stream as it dies, possibly infecting you with Lymes disease, and you really really don't want Lymes disease. This can happen if you pull the tick off with your fingers, use tweezers, apply vaseline, or try to burn it off. You need to use a tool that is designed for the job, one which looks like a tiny claw hammer, and you can buy them from vetinarians and pet stores.

Ticks vomit when they are being attacked, or very occasionally at the end of a feed, so if you find you have a tick, buy a removal tool or see a doctor. It may even be safer to let the tick feed (24 - 48 hours) after which it will drop off. A tick for a day is a lot better then Lymes disease.

And Now for My Removal Technique. I let the buggers feast until I get home. Then I turn my tub into the world's largest Margerita and I soak until all the buggers are floating belly-up. It's a painless death and does wonders for one's skin!!!!