Category Proposal: Repurposed Schools

I've looked through the Waymarking categories, and have searched the forums, and haven't been able to locate a category for schools. I understand that there is a reluctance to include a general schools category (or at least this is how I feel, as school officials may well look askance at people approaching their buildings uninvited, and possibly taking photographs), but I wonder whether there is sufficient interest to create a "Repurposed Schools" category?

(I found a couple of short-lived Waymarking threads on related topics, but those did not seem to result in development of a schools category. The closest I found was the Colleges & Universities category.)

The idea would be to Waymark / celebrate former school buildings that have gained renewed life as public structures of another type, or as businesses, homes (posted with permission), or that are included in historic parks. Perhaps abandoned schools could also be included, if the grounds are publicly accessible. For example, in my city, there is a grand old elementary school that sat vacant for a number of years before conversion into a community medical facility. Our county historic park has a one-house school building moved to the grounds -- another possible Waymark candidate for this category. One reason I like this idea is that these school buildings are found in many communities around the world.

New Waymarks should include basic information about the building, including its period of service as a school, grade levels, the new purpose it serves, and other interesting observations about the site. Is it open to the public? Is there an admission charge? Is there an associated website for the original school or for the organization now using it? At least one or two photos should accompany each new listing, including (if available) a historic photo / postcard image of the school.

Is there any interest in this proposal? I'm rather new to Waymarking, so I hope I'm doing this appropriately. I appreciate any suggestions.

I've looked through the Waymarking categories, and have searched the forums, and haven't been able to locate a category for schools. I understand that there is a reluctance to include a general schools category (or at least this is how I feel, as school officials may well look askance at people approaching their buildings uninvited, and possibly taking photographs), but I wonder whether there is sufficient interest to create a "Repurposed Schools" category?

Is there any interest in this proposal? I'm rather new to Waymarking, so I hope I'm doing this appropriately. I appreciate any suggestions.

Ah! Yes, I've thought about this one everytime I pass one of these old school buildings -- now museums, businesses, restaurants, housing units, etc. A few days ago I saw one vacant and boarded up, but on the National Register of Historic Places.

Just don't make your category so complicated that waymarkers avoid it.

Go foward with this!

Repurposed schools sounds interesting. But would Silverquill's "vacant and boarded up, but on the National Register of Historic Places." be eligible? It hasn't been repurposed - yet. :laughing:

I've seen one-room schools as a quilt shop (after it closed as a church), tourist info centers, nature centers, private home, museum, antique shop, storage shed, part of a historic village, and a chicken hutch.

Hmm, in our town is a school that closed, was a Red Cross center for 15 years, and was just turned back into a school again. Is this a re-repurposed school?

I love Waymarking.

I also say "Go!"

I appreciate the feedback I've received here and via e-mail. I'm leaning toward "Former Schools" as a category, if that is of interest. It would be more inclusive (and less confusing) than my original idea of "Repurposed Schools" -- and possible to waymark in even more communities.

Is there sufficient interest for me to proceed?