New Attribute Suggestion

Super_Nate

I think an attribute should be added for cache listings that has an interstate symbol and it stands for interstate friendly caches.

Interstate friendly caches means that it is located in a place that is easy on/off for travelers, and is less than .5 miles from the interstate so that you aren't going to far off the freeway.

This would be an advantage for people who look such caches up on PQ's, the attribute "Interstate-Friendly" can be selected.

I know that their is a search for caches along a route, which is a very helpful new feature for us premium members....but for avid cachers that are not star members trying to find caches along the interstate, an attribute would be extreamly helpful.

Is this a good idea?

it sounds like a cache rating to me.

When you don't place attributes on your cache listing, their is a friendly box to the side of your page saying "No attributes found. Help your fellow geocachers by adding attributes about your cache!"

Interstate friendly caches is a aid to help your fellow cachers know if the cache is a good quick cache to do on a long car ride.

Their are some caches out there that are right up next to the interstate but require great amounts of hiking.

Example #1

Example #2

Interstate friendly caches is a aid to help your fellow cachers know if the cache is a good quick cache to do on a long car ride.

So you want a less than five/ten minutes to get to the cache location, easy to find, and within.5 miles of an interstate cache attribute.

I'm cool on the less than 3 minutes to get to cache site, but barely, considering I still have to filter out everything else like difficulty ratings and multies.

Edited to mention,....(oops The 'Yes it should only be used on good caches' was an editorial comment. I retract it) )

Edited by BlueDeuce

I think we need fewer incentives to place caches that are places simply for the sake of putting one out. Encouraging so-called interstate caches would tend to indicate that these types of caches are encouraged. I don't think that should happen.

Of course, if there were a way to filter out such caches, I could be a little more receptive, but as it is, it can't be done.

I see no irony that there is a demand not only for easy caches, but that those caches should be specially marked as to make it easier to exclude all the others.

Jamie

The nice thing about Geocaching is that it can incompass the likes of a wide variety of personalities! If someone does Geocaching for the sake of the quality hides and fun places to explore.....then their gonna find those.

If someone does Geocaching for the sake of finding as many as possible and racking up numbers....then their gonna find those.

The point that I am bringing across is if someone is going down the interstate that really looks for the quality caches that require hiking, then they will find and locate those. For the other cachers who has a major case of flatbutt and wants to find a quick stop to grab a cache, then that is where the attribute comes to play.

It is especially helpful for people who are not from the area and don't know what exits are easy for caching. If you get to downtown areas of big cities.....finding easy on/off exits are difficult, and that is another example of where the attribute comes in handy.

Y'know, there are highways I frequently travel (anyone driven I-5 through the Central Valley?) where literally the ONLY even remotely interesting thing to do is pull off at a rest stop and find a micro on a newspaper rack. I try to use those as opportunities to break up the monotony, even if I'm not going to be wildly inspired, and it does help...so I can understand the potential utility here.

On the other hand, I can figure out which caches fit my "stop off and grab them while I stretch my legs" requirements by playing around on the maps just fine, so I guess I don't see how it would really add any benefit to me.

uhm - the sites you provided...

the whole

(ratings out of 5 stars. 1 is easiest, 5 is hardest)

Cache #1

Difficulty: 3 Terrain: 4.5

or for #2

Difficulty: 3.5 Terrain: 3.5

wasn't that enough of a clue that it isn't an "easy" find?

I like the idea of an "interestate" icon. Combining the caches along a route feature with an interstate icon would be wonderful for planning caches to do while on a long trip. It would make finding the caches fast and easy without having to sort through hundreds of caches along the highways by doing a normal PQ.

Edited by Skippermark

Isn't this easily achieved by using the new "Find Caches Along a Route" (premium members only) feature?

You just load up a route (i.e. - I-5 from L.A. to S.F.), create a PQ and you're done! You can choose how far off the highway, type of cache, difficulty, terrain and even which attributes you desire (kid friendly, less than 30 min, etc....)

Works for me! :tired:

and did work for me. Although it still needs some work (google end) I finished a two day, five state swing last month. Geomobile, GPSr, Palm, Pen, SWAG, GORP. That's it.

The 'interstate icon' is a great idea!

As one who does a couple of long - 16+ hour - road trips each year, I've welcomed the 'caches along a route' as a life saver. However, that doesn't help when determining whether a cache is actually easily accessible from the interstate - a cache might be a 1/1, and it might well be within 0.5 miles of the interstate, but - if it's 15 miles from the nearest exit - that's not a cache I need to look at, as it's WAAAAY too far out of the way for a quick stop - and I think that's a good reason for having the new icon.

I can certainly decide which caches I want to do based on terrain/difficulty ratings, but what I really want is ones that don't take me 10 miles off the main drag on my cross-country treks.

Isn't this easily achieved by using the new "Find Caches Along a Route" (premium members only) feature?

It works for me too, but not all caches near highways are quick and easy. You still need to manually look at the cache info to determine it's rating. If there was an "interstate" attribute, you could sort on that attribute and then be fairly certain that all listed caches are easier ones. This would be a big time saver while on a trip and trying to figure out if you want to exit the highway to attempt a find.

I think this attribute should only be used for caches that are designed for this purpose that are near a highway, easily accessed in shorts, basic shoes and with kids.

You just load up a route (i.e. - I-5 from L.A. to S.F.), create a PQ and you're done! You can choose how far off the highway, type of cache, difficulty, terrain and even which attributes you desire (kid friendly, less than 30 min, etc....)

Works for me! :tired:

This won't always work, and I think that was the original point. 'Close to the interstate' doesn't mean 'easy to get to from the interstate'.

Here in Tallahassee, I can immediately think of 5-6 caches that are within 1/4-mile of I-10, but which are inaccessible from the road. In fact, there are two that are intentionally misleading in that regard -- they're right next to interstate rest areas, but behind fences that require miles-long hikes.

[Yes that is easily achieved by finding caches along a route, but as you said...it is a PREMIUM MEMBER FEATURE!!!!!! How is non-premium members gonna find caches along the interstate?

By becoming a premium member?

What kind image is interstate attribute.

I am just thinking that it should be a global if it is made.

I know that their is a search for caches along a route, which is a very helpful new feature for us premium members....but for avid cachers that are not star members trying to find caches along the interstate, an attribute would be extreamly helpful.

...'

Yes that is easily achieved by finding caches along a route, but as you said...it is a PREMIUM MEMBER FEATURE!!!!!! How is non-premium members gonna find caches along the interstate?

Yes 'caches along a route' is a Premium feature, but to search by attribute don't you have to use pocket queries (another premium feature)?? Adding an attribute will help if someone looks at every page to see if that attribute is there, otherwise they'll have to rely on general promixity or rating to even know what caches to check the page for.

Edited by welch

How is non-premium members gonna find caches along the interstate?

I would say the same way they can run PQs or use the GC.com Google Earth KML.... by coughing up the $3/month it takes to enjoy those LUXURIES! :blink:

Seriously, though-- I am starting to understand the point of this attribute in addition to the "Caches along a route" feature. But I am not too worried about those "avid cachers" who can't see the value of paying a mere $30/year for additional features :tired: .

By becoming a premium member?

Yes, that would be a good thing if more people paid the money to become a premium member....but I have friends who love geocaching, but don't believe in paying the $30 for access to more functions. I'm not saying that to start a discussion on upgrading to premium member.....I am saying that to point out that some people who don't have access to the Geo-maps, and have to rely on doing it the hard way would find it much easier to know if they are on the right track to find a couple caches to break up their long car ride by clicking on a cache listing and finding an interstate-friendly attribute. That helps the cacher rest assured that the cache they found that attribute on is one that they can quickly stop at.

I am not doing this to aid non-members.....I would find the attribute helpful as well. Here is an example: This cache shows up as being right on the interstate. Reading some of the logs I can see that other people had the same experience as I did. For me, I spent an hour trying to figure out how to get to the cache even though it was 350 feet off the interstate. Turns out this particular cache requires some driving on the curvy backroads for about a mile before you arrive at the cache site. That cache would NOT have an interstate friendly attribute even though first glance at it for a non-premium member would see that it was a 1/1 Regular sized cache. I was a non-premium member at the time I tryed to find that one and I lost a BUNCH of time that I wanted to get something quick. For a premium member going down the interstate....that cache would show up on the "Caches Along a Route" because it is alongside the interstate. If you had the "Caches along a Route" results and found an interstate-friendly attribute then that cache would positivally be one that you would quickly stop and find.

Another example is This cache! This will show up on the "Caches Along a Route" but what people don't realize about this cache is that it is progressive, meaning that a 2 mile drive is required to find the answer for the virtual. (You can see in the description that it says to drive to the end of the road)

This is why I find this attribute to be necessary! It helps travelers who are not familiar with the area be able to find caches that won't waste time.

What kind image is interstate attribute.

I am just thinking that it should be a global if it is made.

I was thinking the interstate sign shape as being the icon. You know, that sign that you see as you are going down the road that tells you what road system you are on.....it has a unique shape, and that was the shape I had in mind to be the interstate-friendly icon.

The 'interstate icon' is a great idea!

As one who does a couple of long - 16+ hour - road trips each year, I've welcomed the 'caches along a route' as a life saver. However, that doesn't help when determining whether a cache is actually easily accessible from the interstate - a cache might be a 1/1, and it might well be within 0.5 miles of the interstate, but - if it's 15 miles from the nearest exit - that's not a cache I need to look at, as it's WAAAAY too far out of the way for a quick stop - and I think that's a good reason for having the new icon.

It works for me too, but not all caches near highways are quick and easy. You still need to manually look at the cache info to determine it's rating.

Nope. Download the .gpx in GSAK, filter out the ratings above what you want - then export a .gpx from GSAK and import it into Google Earth to check that the caches are reasonably near exits. I can do a 100 mile route in about 5 minutes.

This stuff is easy guys - the tools exist. No need for a new attribute at all.

Edited by Elde

http://geotruckers.com/forums/index.php?board=28.0

The above address takes you to a forum where trucker drivers and RVers are compiling lists of caches that can be done from a large vehicle. Many are rest area caches, others near parking where we can get our equipment safely parked. This means real parking, no highway shoulders or ramps.

Coming up with an attribute logo for this type cache would be a nice idea, but getting everyone to adhere to the requirements that we look for would be difficult.

Nope. Download the .gpx in GSAK, filter out the ratings above what you want - then export a .gpx from GSAK and import it into Google Earth to check that the caches are reasonably near exits. I can do a 100 mile route in about 5 minutes.

This stuff is easy guys - the tools exist. No need for a new attribute at all.

You're right, Eldie. I don't actually use Google Maps much, but I remember there's a feature in GSAK to export to Microsoft Streets & Trips, which is what I use. Thanks for the tip!

Mark

Edited by Skippermark

I'd like to see an icon for caches along the Interstate...literally along the interstate. Such as caches in rest areas and caches just off the exits that can easily be reached when traveling, especially with oversized vehicles.

Originally I thought of this as just a rest stop cache icon, but I think that caches at truckstops and perhaps near gas stations just off the Interestate would be good also. The kinds of places you only frequent while traveling.

I am a premium member and I can filter to my heart's content. But on our last trip, I really had to work to find caches that were ON the Interestate. There were a lot of caches just along the road that involved miles and miles of driving down winding narrow rural lanes, or navigating through subdivisions to reach them. I wasn't interested in those. I wanted leg stretchers at rest areas, and perhaps a few quick walks from the places where I had to stop for gas anyway.

Folks driving the big trucks or travel homes would still need to be discerning about which caches they chose, because you just can't pull those large vehicles into every gas station--but at least they would be able to find the rest area and truck stop caches more quickly.

How is that? "Interstate-Friendly" seems straight forward to me!

Nate, I was referring to the guidelines about what is considered a truck-friendly cache. Interstate-friendly could still mean near businesses, camp grounds, or parks that have inadequate room for a vehicle that measures 75 feet long, and can weigh up to 80,000 lbs.

For example, Cracker Barrel restaurants do not offer parking for these vehicles. If there is not a place to park within half mile (for example), an "Off Your Rocker" series cache could show as "Interstate-Friendly", but be completely inaccessable. Would the one who placed such a cache understand the requirements, or post it as friendly just to increase traffic. If the guidelines suggested for truck-friendly are not adhered to by hiders, any icon would again lose it's value to those who have special considerations to consider.

Okay, I see where you were going with that....sorry!

I don't know of many truckers that geocache. Not saying they aren't out there, but the main reason for this icon is for families on vacation needing a leg-stretcher on a long trip. As far as truckers, I don't think the demand for having a truck-friendly icon is needed.

As far as truckers, I don't think the demand for having a truck-friendly icon is needed.

This has been talked about a couple times before. In addition to truckers, it would also apply to those of us that drive or pull large RVs. The term "interstate-friendly" does a nice job of covering both.

dunno much.. but it was rather easy to find "trucker friendly" caches the other day, and they were labled such too. I wanted to put some TB's in such caches so they'd move.

Ho ho ho. Still they sit. :huh:

If you hold your mouse arrow thingy over an attribute a box pops up with the definition.

Someone might know where a list is but you can find them in a cache listing you own or in 'build a PQ'.

Attribute list, from the Texas Geocachers website. Thanks to 9key for putting that together.

http://www.9key.com/selector.asp

For those in larger vehicles, trucks and RVrs, 221 strong as of now and growing.

http://geotruckers.com/

Attribute list, from the Texas Geocachers website. Thanks to 9key for putting that together.

http://www.9key.com/selector.asp

For those in larger vehicles, trucks and RVrs, 221 strong as of now and growing.

http://geotruckers.com/

The 9key attributes are an HTML insert.

As for the geotruckers. I like the way you handle your rig. (Ah, that's a Bob and Tom reference, and a joke. :unsure: )

I think an attribute should be added for cache listings that has an interstate symbol and it stands for interstate friendly caches.

Interstate friendly caches means that it is located in a place that is easy on/off for travelers, and is less than .5 miles from the interstate so that you aren't going to far off the freeway.

This would be an advantage for people who look such caches up on PQ's, the attribute "Interstate-Friendly" can be selected.

Is this a good idea?

And along that same note as "Let's Take a Hike" Most all the interstate exits in Texas, there are side service roads that run right alongside the freeway. Exits are spaced a couple miles apart, and if there was a cache in the middle of that line then interstate travelers would waste a lot of time trying to find it.

The method that I've used to find caches that are along a freeway and truck'RV friendly for Geotruckers.com is very simple.

Run a cache along route and filter is at you like. Import it into GSAK. Run any additional filtering that you'd like and export it into Delorme Street Atlas USA (my choice), or MS Streets and Trips and just look for the locations, exits etc that you like. The whole process only takes a few minutes and I can examine the entire 900 mile length of I-10 crossing Texas in very little time. Even quicker in any other state highway.

To make things even easier I run GPS while I'm driving and can easily see all the caches along the way and stop when I want to and keep going if I choose knowing I'll see every cache along the way on my map.