Best place to buy Ammo Cans (WA)

coreynjoey

I see that Fort Lewis has some more available!

30 Cal Ammo Cans

50 Cal Ammo Cans

I should not that these auctions are for 25 PALLETS of ammo cans, not 25 Ammo Cans. If you buy it be prepaird to be able to pick them up!

Or perhaps you would like to place a few hundred APE Cache sized caches :)

TALL MORTOR AMMO CANS

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

I see that Fort Lewis has some more available!

30 Cal Ammo Cans

50 Cal Ammo Cans

I should not that these auctions are for 25 PALLETS of ammo cans, not 25 Ammo Cans. If you buy it be prepaird to be able to pick them up!

Or perhaps you would like to place a few hundred APE Cache sized caches :lol:

TALL MORTOR AMMO CANS

It would be so cool if we could do another group buy on ammo cans! I have only a couple 50 Cals left from the last buy, but I'd really like to get a bunch of 30 Cal cans. They are a lot easier to hide.

If you don't want to order online, you could shop locally.

I've bought a few ammo cans in Tacoma at...

Foxhole

(253) 582-0582

8402 S Tacoma Way

Tacoma, WA 98499

Both this Foxhole and the one in Puyallup are gone. I'm not sure if they've moved or are out of business. Foxhole used to be my source for ammo boxes, too.

Both this Foxhole and the one in Puyallup are gone. I'm not sure if they've moved or are out of business. Foxhole used to be my source for ammo boxes, too.

I suspect they may be gone then - as the one in Bremerton disappeared a year or so back. (No surprise for that one - they'd shifted from (way overpriced) military surplus to random (way overpriced) junk.)

I was just given an ammo can (hope to create my first cache in the not too distant future), and was told that it dates back to WWII. There are several markings on it. Does anyone know if any of the markings would confirm that? Thanks, Lee

Not sure about the markings. I do know that if the lid is hinged on side of the can, it is old and if the can is hinged on the end it is newer.

The only pic I could find is pretty big. Here ya go on the older can:

50calammocan.gif

Of course, ammo cans can be found on eBay, but then there is price and shipping cost issues. I have bought mine at Ed's Surplus in Lynnwood, but I think I am leaning more toward Lock-n-Locks in the future. I have had problems with one of my cans getting wet inside (Trunk Monkey). Maybe because of the location, it has to be on its side.

I was just given an ammo can (hope to create my first cache in the not too distant future), and was told that it dates back to WWII. There are several markings on it. Does anyone know if any of the markings would confirm that? Thanks, Lee

Not sure about the markings. I do know that if the lid is hinged on side of the can, it is old and if the can is hinged on the end it is newer.

The only pic I could find is pretty big. Here ya go on the older can:

50calammocan.gif

Thanks, hikergps, for the photo and the information. My ammo box doesn't have a side hinge. I suspect it's not very old after all. It will still make a great cache box. Thanks again, Lee

I suspect they may be gone then - as the one in Bremerton disappeared a year or so back. (No surprise for that one - they'd shifted from (way overpriced) military surplus to random (way overpriced) junk.)

Yup, Foxhole is no longer on S Tacoma Way. I heard they moved to Lakewood somewhere. There's a place called The Duffel Bag just down from where Foxhole was, and they had ammo cans.

Well the 25 pallets contain 1,160 cans. You could probably win the auction at a buck a can. I would be willing to transport some but not coordinate the purchase this time.

Does anyone know how big of a purchase was done as a group purchase before? Is this number of 1,160 a HUGE number of cans.

Although it would be fun to think of that many new full size caches would be around this area :)

Or is this number something that could be done?

Was it a really big pain in the rear last time? Do we have enough people in this area that would want to do something like this?

Well the 25 pallets contain 1,160 cans. You could probably win the auction at a buck a can. I would be willing to transport some but not coordinate the purchase this time.

Does anyone know how big of a purchase was done as a group purchase before? Is this number of 1,160 a HUGE number of cans.

Although it would be fun to think of that many new full size caches would be around this area :)

Or is this number something that could be done?

Was it a really big pain in the rear last time? Do we have enough people in this area that would want to do something like this?

Marcus did all of the grunt work last time and can probably give you the best information.

Here are links to the previous threads:

First Thread

Second Thread

I'd take 5-10 of the 30 cal if someone wanted to organize a buy.

I was in GI Joe's in Lynnwood a couple of days ago, and in their hunting and fishing area they had about three dozen 50 cal ammo cans for sale for $3 each! They didn't have any smaller 30 cal cans, but they did have a larger size (about 1/2 Ape cache size) also, for $21.

I never even thought of GI Joe's. I'll have to take a look. Thanks!

Does anyone know if Jerry's Surplus in Everett carries Ammo Cans? If so, how much are they?

JaySTE

I have purchased cans there in the past. Prices vary, but I seem to recall they are in the $5 to $7 range.

That sounds about right. Last time I was in there they didn't have many and those were pretty beat up. Ed's Surplus in Lynnwood had a better selection and better price, but that was earlier this year.

Does anyone know if Jerry's Surplus in Everett carries Ammo Cans? If so, how much are they?

JaySTE

I have purchased cans there in the past. Prices vary, but I seem to recall they are in the $5 to $7 range.

That sounds about right. Last time I was in there they didn't have many and those were pretty beat up. Ed's Surplus in Lynnwood had a better selection and better price, but that was earlier this year.

I've bought some at Sir Plus in Woodinville; I think they were $3-5 bucks for the 30s.

JaySTE

I've bought some at Sir Plus in Woodinville; I think they were $3-5 bucks for the 30s.

I stopped in there Thursday looking for Decon Containers, and when they didn't have any of those I asked about Ammo Cans. She only had 3 and they were not the best condition. Someone came in while I was talking to her and also asked and she brought them out. Not sure if they got them or not.

She says it's getting harder and harder to get them.

If we do another group buy - I'll take 20

Not to jump on your bandwagon but if they ended up being priced like before we would take 20 too, and R-L-Painter had said he would too.

I am pretty sure The Hulk would too.

Anyone want to head up something like this?

If anyone decides to do something like this, I'll buy in for at least 15 for a series I'm working on....

Those of us in SW Washington have to go over to Oregon. The place with the best price I know of is:

SGT Gators Post Exchange Army Surplus

19855 Southeast Sunnyside Road,

Boring, OR, 97009

(503) 658-4903

this is where I go to get my ammo cans....they are dirt cheap.......I bought 50 of the standard size for a buck apiece there about 2 years back. Even got the big round ones for 4 bucks each...this place rocks....you can even buy the shells of helicopters there.

but just saw that pdxmarathonman said it went out of business....dont know of any other surplus stores around here now....the few small ones went out of business also...1 of them on 82nd is now a convenience store...I stopped and got a coke there the other day.

Edited by Syn

If you are in Moses Lake there is a surplus store there. I got a mortar can (same footprint as the 50 cal but 31" tall!) in excellent shape for $4.00, half what they want for the 50's. I bought the only one of those that they has. They had a stack of 30 cal cans for $6, and 50 cal cans for $8. It is at 1102 W Broadway. It's a U-Haul/Army Surplus Store/Propane place all wrapped into one. Their number is 509-764-9001.

If you've never seen a mortar can, here's a couple of pics. The first pic is next to one of my prepped 50 cal cans so you can get a size comparison:

bigcan3.jpg

bigcan2.jpg

Edited by hikergps

I just bought a couple batches on ebay (2 batches of 4 each 50 cal) for about $14 + shipping. Probably paid too much even with that, but it was better than driving all over trying to find some... The seller keeps putting more groups up for sale, so he must have a garage full.

I just bought two ammo cans from The Foxhole Military Surplus in Lakewood today, it's on Union (I can get the address). They had a ton of them, and I'm new at this but I'm pretty sure they were 30 cal, they are about 10"x4"x8". I think paid $4.99 for the 30 cal cans.

They also have a lot of others sizes of ammo cans for other caching needs, as well as a lot of decon containers.