Games on the Garmin 60cx (possibly csx as well)

Kabuthunk

Upon first getting the Garmin GPSMap 60 CX, I poked around at all of the various settings, tweaking them initially to how I first wanted them (some to be changed once I figured out how to use the thing :) ). In either case, I came across the games section in there... which included Memory Race, Virtua Maze, Geko Smak, Nibbons, Gekoids, and Beast Hunt.

Being in an apartment, I can't really play the games requiring moving around. Hence, I tried Beast Hunt... the only game playable without satellite signals. To say the least... there's no instructions anywhere that I can find, other than "slay the dragon", and what key shoots my arrow. As horribly confusing as this is, I eventually managed to get the hang of 'newbie' mode, or whatever the easiest difficulty was.

When I went out to the country, I attempted the 'virtua maze' and well... given I'm in Canada and WAAS is nonexistant here for all intents and purposes, it was basically unplayable because it only detected a 10-15 foot movement really... so it just didn't work out, since that's a good chunk of maze distance. Ah well... so in Canada, I'm guessing that pretty much all of the GPS games are next to unplayable, and the Beast Hunt is just confusing.

Anyone else tried playing these games? Has anyone else found some kind of vague guide to Beast Hunt or any of the others?

I think the GPS enabled games are stupid because if I'm in the outdoors why would I waste the time looking at a little screen when I could go hiking and fishing? The only game i play is Beast Hunt when I'm in the car and REALLY bored or somewhere i'd have to just sit and do nothing anyway. Its a pretty dumb game and almost never use it, but occasionally do use beast hunt. There are detailed instructions for each game in the 60CSx user manual, probably in the Cx also.

I thought they were silly at first but noticed I had experienced a decent workout playing nibbons. Now I use it to get in a good running work out. I have a hard time running just for the sake of the exercise. Playing nibbons in a good field makes for a fun and challenging work out in which the time really flies as I focus on beating my latest high score.

On Mondays I take my son to his drum lesson and I go to a nice sized open field next to the parking lot and get in a good half hour of sprinting, walking and jogging as I gather flags and avoid the skulls. Very much like playing a period of soccer.

I've noticed on small or medium field settings, I can walk rapidly and keep ahead of the faster skull and have some time to catch my breath. On the large field setting, I cannot allow much walking as the skulls move faster to cover the field.

On the other hand, the smaller the field setting, the more precise my position has to be. I absolutley cannot score a flag on the run on the small field setting. On the large field setting it is much easier.

I plan to use this game as a tool to get in shape for orienteering this fall. I use a field near my house that has a good elevation change. Running in the grass over elevation changes while holding the gps is much like the requirements of orienteering.

Yeah, yeah, I know...I need to get a life.

Upon first getting the Garmin GPSMap 60 CX, I poked around at all of the various settings, tweaking them initially to how I first wanted them (some to be changed once I figured out how to use the thing :lol: ). In either case, I came across the games section in there... which included Memory Race, Virtua Maze, Geko Smak, Nibbons, Gekoids, and Beast Hunt.

Being in an apartment, I can't really play the games requiring moving around. Hence, I tried Beast Hunt... the only game playable without satellite signals. To say the least... there's no instructions anywhere that I can find, other than "slay the dragon", and what key shoots my arrow. As horribly confusing as this is, I eventually managed to get the hang of 'newbie' mode, or whatever the easiest difficulty was.

When I went out to the country, I attempted the 'virtua maze' and well... given I'm in Canada and WAAS is nonexistant here for all intents and purposes, it was basically unplayable because it only detected a 10-15 foot movement really... so it just didn't work out, since that's a good chunk of maze distance. Ah well... so in Canada, I'm guessing that pretty much all of the GPS games are next to unplayable, and the Beast Hunt is just confusing.

Anyone else tried playing these games? Has anyone else found some kind of vague guide to Beast Hunt or any of the others?

I don't even know how to play it! I cant seem to MOVE anything or how to play it! suck~

I don't even know how to play it! I cant seem to MOVE anything or how to play it! suck~

I had the same problem and thought the games software was defective. I finally figured out you need to rotate the GPS to turn, or turn off the electronic compass which gives you control using the rocker switch.

Actually I was going to start a thread like this tonight when we got back only to find one already here!

Initially I, too, thought the games were just a silly gimmick for the GPS, but they get you outside running around in a field getting excercise. Sure you might look like you're on hallucinogens to the casual observer, but who cares? You're not plunked down in a sedentary state on the couch or at the computer; you're outside, you're getting fresh air, and you're getting excercise. I think it's a great incentive to get out of the house, which we all need more of! And besides, it's free; all you need is a field.

Mine is on the Vista CX

Edited by Isaiah 40:31
To say the least... there's no instructions anywhere that I can find, other than "slay the dragon", and what key shoots my arrow. As horribly confusing as this is, I eventually managed to get the hang of 'newbie' mode, or whatever the easiest difficulty was.

There is a section on it in the Manual. however the advanced levels just require luck.

Keeps my son interested as we drive from cache to cache otherwise he gets bored... beast hunt is his favorite... but we also like to play the ones outside that we have to use together on both our GPSrs... you just have to let go of what you dont know and let the joy be found by those who find it.. thats what the world does with us geocachers... they just dont get us until they jump in...